Classic literature

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Cooter, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    I'm going to suppose that I'm fishing the wrong pond with this one.......BUT, I'll give it a shot anyway. Is anyone here a fan of Classic literatue? I'm looking for recommendations since I'm going to have a little extra time on my hands this Fall. I picked up a few at the used book store today to get me started but I'm looking to avoid the obscure stuff and maybe expose myself to something I've missed over the years. Currently reading Jane Austen and thoroughly enjoying it, which was not my expectation. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    The Public Fountains of city of Dijon by Henry Darcy is a classic in potable water supply but perhaps not quite what you may be looking for...

3. Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Just about anything by Mark Twain. Though if you want just one choice to start, here's a hint:
    "All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn." -- Ernest Hemmingway.

I just finished reading "Three Men in a Boat" published in 1889 by Jerome K. Jerome. Wry British humor of the day. I read it to satisfy an itch delivered 50 years ago when I read Robert Heinlein's "Have Space Suit, Will Travel" (a classic book of another sort worth reading) that began:
    You see, I had this space suit. How it happened was this way:
    “Dad,” I said, “I want to go to the Moon.”
    “Certainly,” he answered and looked back at his book. It was Jerome K. Jerome’s Three Men in a Boat, which he must know by heart.
    Later in Heinlein's story, the father character says:
    "Reminds me of this passage I'm reading. They're trying to open a tin of pineapple and Harris has left the can opener back in London. They try several ways." He started to read aloud and I sneaked out-I had heard that passage five hundred times. Well, three hundred.
    I just had to read the book to find out how they eventually opened the tin of pineapples.

Anyway, there are the classic classics: the Iliad and the Odyssey. No need to read them in the original Greek.

Naturally, as a pilot, some Jules Verne would be appropriate (hard to avoid Hollywood taint when reading his original books) but "Robur the Conqueror" could be added as a topical classic. Don't let it give you any ideas!

Cooter and murphey like this.
  4. G-Man

G-Man Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    AirmanG
    Sinclair Lewis' Arrowsmith. Loved it as a voraciously reading teenager.
    Confessions of Nat Turner.
    Any Mark Twain.
    So much great stuff!

Cooter likes this.
  5. Lndwarrior

Lndwarrior Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Gary
    Anything by Jack London. If you're a pilot you have to appreciate the adventures.

John Steinbeck, anything.

Probably not classified as a classic but could be IMO, "We" by Charles Lindberg.

I, Claudis by Robert Graves

Don Quixote

Crime and Punishment

A Farewell to Arms

For Whom the Bell Tolls

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Red Badge of Courage

The Fountainhead

The Hound of the Baskervilles

G-Man likes this.
  6. tinerj

tinerj Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    tinerj
    Heart of Darkness
    The Jungle

G-Man likes this.
  7. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I read "The Grapes of Wrath" recently. See y'all, I have culture. Great book, story applies even now.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  8. Walboy

Walboy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Walboy
  9. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    Thanks for all the recommendations. :)

I just discovered Goodreads so I'll be using that to browse around and narrow down my search. For those that have been mentioned:

Hemingway- I tried A Farewell to Arms about 10'years ago and didn't like it, but it's worth another try I think. I might go with For Whom the Bell Tolls, I like the poem at least.:)

Twain: I read him when I was young but I think I will put Huck Finn back on the list. Especially now that we're so race sensitive it will be interesting to read

St D'Exupery: He's too poetic for me. I've read a couple of his works and I liked the content but felt like I had to work too hard to extract it.

Sinclair Lewis: No exposure, I'll give him a try

Ayn Rand: haven't read Fountainhead but I did read Atlas Shrugged and feel like I got a pretty good handle on her philosophy. She makes it pretty clear, unlike many other philosophers. I'll take a look at it and see if Fountainhead offers anything different.

Dostoyevsky: one of my favorites. I liked Crime and Punishment significantly less than the Brothers K though.

Homer: I will re-read those with my kids when it comes up in their curriculum soon. I had a tough time making it through before, but will probably get more out of it next time around.

R.L. Stephenson: fun to read. Will be reading Jeckyk and Hyde very soon

Steinbeck: Loved East of Eden, didn't like Grapes of Wrath

Don Quixote, The Heart of Darkness, The Hound of Baskervilles, and Memoirs of U. Grant have my interest.

Thanks again!
    Cooter

10. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I'm gonna check out East of Eden from the library, looks good. After I finish "Red Eagles: America's Secret Migs", to see how Velocity fared.

Cooter likes this.
  11. Axtel4

Axtel4 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Axtel4
    I'll take a stab at it...

Louis Lemore
    Zane Grey
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Ray Bradbury
    Michael Crichton
    C.S. Lewis
    Martin Luther

12. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    With the exception of Vonnegut and Crichton, whom I've never read, I like your list. I read almost all of Louis L'Amour's books growing up. Bondage of the Will by Luther is a goal of mine, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm a huge fan of Lewis, I've read many of his works 2-3 times. Fahrenheit 451 is a must read.

13. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Eight Balla
    I find is writing style to be obscure, like flow through a porous medium.

14. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
  15. Ravioli

Ravioli En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    I expected @mscard88 to suggest Hustler, Juggs, and Penthouse.

For the articles.

16. mscard88

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Playboy, the original that started all the great, ahem, articles....

17. Clark1961

Clark1961 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    With a bit of study it is predictable.

18. Ken Ibold

Ken Ibold Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ken Ibold
    War and Peace
    Count of Monte Cristo
    NOT Les Miserables

19. Dana

Dana Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    A lot of good recommendations here that I wouldn't term "classic literature"... what is "classic", anyway? But a good change from the oft repeated "best flying books" thread...

Ayn Rand: The Fountainhead is, IMO, the better book than Atlas Shrugged... AS is the definitive work on her philosophy but Fountainhead is far more believable as far as the characters are concerned (Rand was a genius but she really didn't understand people).

Jules Verne: One of the greats, but you have to ignore the rabid anti-semitism in some of his works.

Voltaire: Somebody once said, "if you like Voltaire you'll like Kurt Vonnegut." Well, if you like Vonnegut you'll like Voltaire. If you've read Slaughterhouse Five (and everybody should), when you read Voltaire's Candide you'll think each passage should end with, "So it goes."

While we're talking about Vonnegut Cat's Cradle also deserves mention, and while we're talking science fiction (if you can call Vonnegut that) then Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, already mentioned, is another latter day classic that everybody should read. I could go on and on about Heinlein, Asimov, and others, but we're straying from "classic literature".

Mark Twain: It blows my mind that people object to Huckleberry Finn as racist... quite the contrary, he portrayed N****r Jim (historically accurate language, not a modern racial slur) as a very positive character despite the prejudice of the day.

I like Louis L'Amour but I hardly consider him "classic literature". More like comfort food, not really good for you but satisfying... one of those writers I reread from time to time when I'm too tired to read something new. He's weak on strict historical accuracy but good on the general sense of the times he writes about. Zane Grey, OTOH, I couldn't get into at all, too much of the bad old stereotypes of western literature.

For more serious historical fiction, Kenneth Roberts... Rabble in Arms (about the American revolution) and Arundel (about Benedict Arnold) are classics, and Boon Island is intense (men shipwrecked within sight of the Maine coast, can see people on the shore but can't attract their attention).

Cooter likes this.