Class III Medical w/ brief medical hx of Alcohol Abuse

A

Anon

I'll preface this question by saying that I have 1.5 years of sobriety, and so I'm not sure if I'll be allowed a class III medical. I'm 27 and my history is that I struggled with drinking for 2 years, all while maintaining my jobs and relationships, and never incurring any legal consequences. Eventually, I checked into a hospital with withdrawal, and, with family support, started to attend AA and completed a 12 step program. Without knowing the rules about previous alcohol abuse, I took and completed ground school, and passed the knowledge test, and now I'm hung up on the medical.

During the medical evaluation, my AME told me that without any history of DUIs or other legal consequences, and only a "single event", I should be easily approved, but when I read the CFRs it seems far less likely. My medical records outline in great detail my drinking, and have tacked on "depression w/ suicidal ideation". I do not have depression, and only heard of this diagnosis after I requested my medical records. I guess at the time that I was admitted and zonked out on their benzos, I was interviewed by a social worker and deemed a suicide risk. Now, with this AND my hx of alcohol abuse I do not see being granted a medical, even a class III.

Right now, I'm preparing my response to their request for records/letters of recommendation. My question, other than "Do I have a shot?", is is there anything else I could include in my submittal that could bolster my application? In my medical records are follow-up appointments from my GP and a Psychologist which document my AA attendance and clear me as a suicide risk ("low risk"), as well, I assume, as my AME's most recent physical evaluation, showing me in otherwise pristine health. I have included three letters, from my father (my pastor), my fiance (who I live with and has documented my daily sobriety and AA attendance), and a coworker (also attesting to my daily sobriety). I'm petrified of being denied my request and spending another year (or more) waiting to fly, as my time and financial circumstances this year are unique and allow me to take lessons. I'm willing to do anything to prove my reliability, but I simply don't know enough about this process, since I'm brand new to GA.

Thank you for reading and any responses you may have.

So we understand your situation, you already applied for a Class III medical, the AME deferred and you are awaiting additional information from the FAA?

So we understand your situation, you already applied for a Class III medical, the AME deferred and you are awaiting additional information from the FAA?

Almost; the FAA contacted me requesting medical records, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation, so the ball is in my court now. I have to respond by mid-January before it's denied by default. I'm just trying to prepare the best case for myself that I can, because I don't want the journey to end here.

(Not sure if I posted my response correctly)

Almost; I received a request from the FAA for medical records, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation, so the ball is in my court. I have to respond by mid-January or it will be denied by default. I'm just trying to prepare the best case for myself that I can, because I don't want the journey to end here.

few here can help. @bbchien http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/ is certainly an authoritative source who you may consider reaching out to in the real world.

Since you have received a written request the clock is ticking. Don't waste time on the internet. Get that checkbook out. [Which is always good advice in all things aviation]

Good Luck.

(Not sure if I posted my response correctly)

Almost; I received a request from the FAA for medical records, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation, so the ball is in my court. I have to respond by mid-January or it will be denied by default. I'm just trying to prepare the best case for myself that I can, because I don't want the journey to end here.
First off, congrats on your 1.5 years of sobriety!

I agree 100% with what @Ravioli wrote--contact Dr. Bruce Chien at the link that Ravioli provided in his message. Last I checked, there is no fee for asking Dr. Chien questions online. FYI, he's an HIMS AME (not a plain old AME), and you might need to hire an HIMS AME in order to get a medical certificate.

Hopefully, Dr. Bruce will reply to your message here, but you would be wise to be proactive and visit his website right away and ask questions of him about the letter you received from the FAA. He will likely be able tell you the exact next steps to take; and, if he suggests that you do something, just do that thing! :)

Good luck!

First off, congrats on your 1.5 years of sobriety!

I agree 100% with what @Ravioli wrote--contact Dr. Bruce Chien at the link that Ravioli provided in his message. Last I checked, there is no fee for asking Dr. Chien questions online. FYI, he's an HIMS AME (not a plain old AME), and you might need to hire an HIMS AME in order to get a medical certificate.

Hopefully, Dr. Bruce will reply to your message here, but you would be wise to be proactive and visit his website right away and ask questions of him about the letter you received from the FAA. He will likely be able tell you the exact next steps to take; and, if he suggests that you do something, just do that thing! :)

Good luck!

Thank you! I appreciate your response. I sent him a message over there with the text from my post, hopefully I hear from him tomorrow. I know time is of the essence, but it took nearly two months for my medical records to be delivered to me, so I'm getting up to the wire.

Thank you! I appreciate your response. I sent him a message over there with the text from my post, hopefully I hear from him tomorrow. I know time is of the essence, but it took nearly two months for my medical records to be delivered to me, so I'm getting up to the wire.
It took 7 weeks for me to get my medical records (almost 2 years ago), so it sounds like you had the same wait as I did. The "funny" part was that I hadn't flown since 1985, and the medical record information I received from the FAA was that they didn't keep any records for non-interesting (or something like that) medicals prior to 1990. Apparently my old records were not interesting (they were just normal visit-an-AME-and-get-a-certificate medicals), so there were no old records to send. LOL.

How does that saying go?..."The ox is slow, but the Earth is patient". I think I hate being the Earth. Hmm...but I guess it's better than being an ox. ;)

if this is c********047 see your private email. The second condition just makes this one a killer to qualify.
I say, every person who has tangled with alcohol is to be congratulated on each, and every day of sobriety.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back