Class G?

Geesh that looks like the Manatee ariport which is NE of Sarasota. I see some stuff around the ground that looks awfully familiar too. That is some darn busy airspace and not all that far from a military IFR route. That is darned foolish if that was not coordinated with ATC. I fly through there alot, IFR at that.

Last edited:
smigaldi said:
Geesh that looks like the Manatee ariport which is NE of Sarasota. I see some stuff around the ground that looks awfullky familiar too.

you are correct. i see those guys over there all the time. note at 1:25 into the video you can clearly see the large square lake with the 2 red and white striped stacks just ENE of the strip. passing by i've seen them up in the tampa B before. but real hard to tell in the video since the airport is right on the 1200/3000 foot floor line. sure would hate to tangle with one of those! tc

tom clark said:
smigaldi said:
Geesh that looks like the Manatee ariport which is NE of Sarasota. I see some stuff around the ground that looks awfullky familiar too.

you are correct. i see those guys over there all the time. note at 1:25 into the video you can clearly see the large square lake with the 2 red and white striped stacks just ENE of the strip. passing by i've seen them up in the tampa B before. but real hard to tell in the video since the airport is right on the 1200/3000 foot floor line. sure would hate to tangle with one of those! tc

If the FAA saw that, would he get enforcement action on his ticket?

Current solo weight shift microlight altitude record:

From http://records.fai.org/microlight/current.asp?id=RWL1

Altitude : 9 720 m
Date of flight: 18/09/1994
Pilot: Serge ZIN (France)
Course/place: Saint-Auban (France)
Microlight:
Air Création Norgil
Database ID 1890

which works out to be around 31,889' .

Troy Whistman said:
On another note, I didn't know these Trike guys flew that high!

Troy Whistman said:
tom clark said:
If the FAA saw that, would he get enforcement action on his ticket?

i have no idea. do they even have or need "tickets" to fly? if there was some conflict with an aircraft i suppose the faa would come looking. assuming they could figure out who the offender was. but as far as the tape goes i don't know. it seems pretty obvious they're above 1200ft and therefore need more than "clear of clouds" to be legal, but these guys have no transponders so how could anybody be sure unless there was a motivated witness? tc

Back