Class E Tower

Oshkosh?

--Kath

AOPA Headquarters on their fly-in day as well.

NickDBrennan said:
Hey guys - dumb question here....

I was looking at some information in an ASA book, and found reference to a tower operating in Class E airspace. Anyone have an example of one of these airports? I was under the (false) impression that an airport with a tower was always at least Class D.

Those are temporary towers. I think all your permanent (or relatively permanent, because is anything in life really permanent) towers are at least a class D.

KDNL during the Masters.

When I was workin on my CFI the ground instructor mentioned this and he had an example. At that time there were only 2 in the US I think that were permanant and I think it was seasonal or something. I believe it was out west somewhere and was for skydiving or firefighting......

Dosen't a class D with a tower become class E when the tower closes, say for the night. Therein you would have a tower in class D albeit inactive.

Greebo said:
AOPA Headquarters on their fly-in day as well.
I'm pretty sure that KFDK becomes class Delta when the (temporary) tower is in operation.

KOSH is normally class Delta as it has a tower year round - but becomes the busiest airspace in the nation during their EAA AirVenture event.

There is one in Michigan at Grayling... but agian, it's a part time tower.

Missa

inav8r said:
I'm pretty sure that KFDK becomes class Delta when the (temporary) tower is in operation.

KOSH is normally class Delta as it has a tower year round - but becomes the busiest airspace in the nation during their EAA AirVenture event.
I don't think so - being Class Delta strikes me as being a more permanent change.

As I understand it (and I've only driven to their fly in not flown in, stupid bad weather) they set up a temporary control tower like at OSH. I remember reviewing the fly-in procedures and they seemed similar in the sense of the basic instruction was "fly this route exactly, and stay off the damn radio, waggle wings when you're addressed and otherwise shut up".

Also - I remember last year or year before Cap'n Ron posted about how some bozo departed VFR illegally (rather than wait his turn in line for ppl waiting for IFR clearances) and tried to get a popup IFR clearance and held up everyone on the ground while violating VFR clearance conditions.

Had KFDK been Class D for the fly-in, he wouldn't have been cleared for takeoff vfr, I'm pretty sure?

There are a few permanent towers without Class D airspace -- can't name any offhand, but it came up a while back and someone who lived near one in the Southeast popped up with the example.

And to help narrow it down, one of the examples was in Florida - if I run into the message that gives the actual airport I'll post it. I think it had Lake in the name....

I saw this same depiction on an Illinois DOT map. It had a blue airport at quincy Illinois which is normally class E airspace. Bruce have any idea of what this was about?

Maximus

Last edited:
maximus said:
I saw this same depiction on an Illinois aviation map. It had a blue airport at quincy Illinois which is normally class E airspace. Bruce have any idea of what this was about?

Maximus
Quincy per the AFD (no sectional in front of me, this is WORK lunch time) is Class G, only occ. Class E by NOTAM. The big Maroon circle around Galesburg indicates Class E to the ground 12Z to 04Z.

Last edited:
Out in the boonies for fire-fighting there's temporary towers.
Another reason to always broadcast on CTAF about ten miles out.

NickDBrennan said:
Hey guys - dumb question here....

I was looking at some information in an ASA book, and found reference to a tower operating in Class E airspace. Anyone have an example of one of these airports? I was under the (false) impression that an airport with a tower was always at least Class D.

Back