Class Charlie satellite communications

lancie00

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
lancie00
I'm a low hour VFR pilot who's been out of flying for a while. I'm getting back into it and have a satellite airport under class c airspace that I'd like to fly into/out of (Council Bluffs, Iowa kcbf). What I'd like to know is, will the class c controller (Omaha approach) tell me to change frequency to unicom when I get close to the Council Bluffs airport? Then do I announce on Unicom "CB traffic, Arrow 5142S 2 mile final on 18 CB"?

I'm also wondering about departing. I assume I announce departing on unicom, then who do I contact once in the air? Omaha approach or departure?

Thanks for the input!

IFR or VFR they usually give you the frequency change early enough but if they don't you can always ask. VFR I'm not sure why you're flying 2 mile straight ins (yes I know it's legal, but still).

Approach and Departure are usually two names for the same controller. You'll see that in your AF/D entry for CBF they are both 124.5. It really doesn't matter which you call them. Generally, I only use the word "departure" when I'm departing from the primary, but it really matters little.

When you get close call the airport in sight,the controller will have you quack VFR ,and have you go to the ctaf. When departing don't enter the class c untill you notify the controller. You can stay under the shelf VFR.

If you're under the C floor you wouldn't have to call them at all. I fly into and out of a non-towered field under a Class C area and we never talk to approach.

If you're under the C floor you wouldn't have to call them at all. I fly into and out of a non-towered field under a Class C area and we never talk to approach.

True, but that's kinda limiting. Get flight following, and you aren't limited to 1400 AGL or less. Sometimes the C surface area is in the way as well.

ATC may approve a frequency change while still in Class C, if you report the airport in sight. That's a local procedure thing.

IFR or VFR they usually give you the frequency change early enough but if they don't you can always ask. VFR I'm not sure why you're flying 2 mile straight ins (yes I know it's legal, but still).

Approach and Departure are usually two names for the same controller. You'll see that in your AF/D entry for CBF they are both 124.5. It really doesn't matter which you call them. Generally, I only use the word "departure" when I'm departing from the primary, but it really matters little.
I'm just using the 2 mile final as an example. Who knows what the controller will do. I guess that brings up a new question. Will Omaha approach give me vectors to a final approach or just get me close and turn me loose? Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm just using the 2 mile final as an example. Who knows what the controller will do. I guess that brings up a new question. Will Omaha approach give me vectors to a final approach or just get me close and turn me loose? Thanks for all of the replies.

If you're in Class E on flight following going VFR into a controlled field you'll probably be told to expect a certain runway. It's up to you to decide if that's the one you want (if you have a choice). You'll get a switch to tower once you report the field in sight usually. Tower will finalize your landing and clear you.

If you're in Class E on flight following going VFR into an UNcontrolled field, it's up to you to determine your own vectors to where you are landing. Again, approach will probably ask you to verify field in sight, you'll get a frequency change approved call and you should switch to the CTAF and call out the usual traffic call "CCC Traffic, Bugsmasher XXX 10 miles (north/south/east/west/etc) from the field (any other details, along the coast,etc) , inbound runway 23 full stop CCC"

If you're IFR you'll get vectors for the approach, to an IAF, or to the FAC but after you're cleared you'll either get turned over to the tower or the CTAF.

The approach controller and the tower controller communicate by interphone...a lot goes on that you never hear. Both controllers want you to land safely and will work together to make sure that happens.

Bob Gardner

Before departure, you might be able to reach Clearance delivery or approach while still on the ground ... makes things easier (squawk code already established, CTAF for departure and then to APP Freq).

Ask around locally. The basic rules apply everywhere but each place has its own ways of applying them. Ask other pilots, call the Tower. Ask at the FBO''s and flight schools. Welcome back to flying.

Before departure, you might be able to reach Clearance delivery or approach while still on the ground ... makes things easier (squawk code already established, CTAF for departure and then to APP Freq).
Do not ever call any tower position while on the ground at a satellite. Approach control, maybe, but that's also usually a total waste of time, and most approach controls will not issue a squawk code to you for your VFR departure anyway.

There was a pilot who got in trouble for doing something similar in Florida around 2010. He called Ground Control at the primary airport, claimed that this justified the initial contact required by Part 91 before entering Class C airspace, and then departed from a satellite airport and climbed into the primary airport's departure corridor on a 1200 code. Does anyone remember this story?

Do not ever call any tower position while on the ground at a satellite. Approach control, maybe, but that's also usually a total waste of time, and most approach controls will not issue a squawk code to you for your VFR departure anyway.

There was a pilot who got in trouble for doing something similar in Florida around 2010. He called Ground Control at the primary airport, claimed that this justified the initial contact required by Part 91 before entering Class C airspace, and then departed from a satellite airport and climbed into the primary airport's departure corridor on a 1200 code. Does anyone remember this story?
EVER?

Some TFRs require you to do so, to obtain a code prior to takeoff.

And it's required to call PDX tower when departing VUO. They'll tell you to remain clear of Class C, though. They also control the VUO Class D. That IS an oddball, but the "ever" is not quite right.

I've never seen a TFR that wanted you to get a squawk code from a tower for an airport you aren't at. As Harold aludes, you usually talk to the radar controller (even in the Washington DMZ).

You don't call PDX Tower at VUO, but Pearson Advisory. That may be implemented in the PDX cab, but it's hardly the same thing.

When you get close call the airport in sight,the controller will have you quack VFR

I know you have been flying longer than me but I yet to have atc ask me to quack vfr...I would feel a little silly quacking over the radio..but hey if that's what the asked me I guess I would do it :D

Yes, in the off chance that you are departing underneath a TFR, there are other procedures that need to be followed.

Really? I must be a real cowboy then ... I get squawk codes on the ground and told to contact approach once airborne quite often if I'm heading into or transitioning our Class C. I usually do it via CD and EXPLAIN IT sometimes being told to contact APP directly. Also, I can explain that I can't accept their 190 vectors over Mexico (new crew at tower loves pushing small tin over Juarez MX as they have an LOA over there) due to insurance and firearm on board.

Well, yeah that was stupid ...

1. Obtain squawk
2. Depart get off CTAF as soon as practical and contact approach
3. They respond and voila ... smooth

-- VERSUS --
1. You: Tiger 12345 Request
2. APP: Tiger 12345 say request
3. Tiger 12345 VFR over Sunland Park 5500 climbing 9500 transition over downtown request advisories, destination KEDC Austin with Xray
4. APP: Squawk 4123 and ident
5. APP: Tiger 12345 Radar contact 2 miles from Sunland 7000, turn heading 190 for now
6. You: Tiger 12345 unable 190 vector, request any other vector-altitude that excludes Mexican airspace
7. APP: Tiger turn 190 for now, need to work something out
8. APP: Tiger 12345 descend to 5500 and follow the river

This is when it's nice to have two radios.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The rule says "establish and thereafter maintain" communications.

I know you have been flying longer than me but I yet to have atc ask me to quack vfr...I would feel a little silly quacking over the radio..but hey if that's what the asked me I guess I would do it :D
This can happen when you are using the duck and cat method to fly IFR after your clearance is canceled.

Back