Class C departure

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
The other day the twr cleared me to depart to the north on RWY 26R. As I was about 200 agl on the upwind, twr advises me of a R-22 helo which just departed the departure end of 26R.

What gives?

Most often I make a max perf take off but this departure I decided to make a normal take off. In response to twr advising the helo I pitched to Vx and side stepped to the north. I called twr for the -22's direction of flight but his response was to standby!

I finally saw the helo as I turned to crosswind. He had been same direction and 600 agl climbing before turning to the south.

To me, there seems to be two "gotchas" thanks to the tower. He allowed the departure while you were nose high and not capable of looking down and ahead. Then he has you stand by on a requested traffic advisory in close proximity. I'm puzzled by those.

I wonder if the "Standy" response was so he could pay attention to his supervisor chewing his butt for making alarms go off...

Call the tower chief and ask what gives. This doesn't sound right.

I wonder if the "Standy" response was so he could pay attention to his supervisor chewing his butt for making alarms go off...

There are no alarms at a Class D. They don't even have to have a radar set. Bob Colins mid-air was at a Class D.

There are no alarms at a Class D. They don't even have to have a radar set. Bob Colins mid-air was at a Class D.

Not positive, but I assume it was class C (the title hints that it may be). :D

That's not necessarily true. Of the class D fields have radar, most have CA/LA visual and aural alerts. I hear them in the background on the radio at HPN all the time because they use visual separation very often (as do most towers). In any event, the alert wouldn't have really mattered anyway, the controller should have properly sequenced everyone to begin with.

Back