Class Bravo Question.

ksandrew

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ksandrew
Hi.

A resent flight into Orlando Kissimmee (KISM) left me with some questions that I am not sure about.

Arrived in the Orlando area VFR and was cleared into Class Bravo, when I reported the airport in sight I was instructed to contact the tower and stay clear of Class Bravo. I was still 100' in Bravo descending out of it. The controller may have just goofed up and nothing was said.

I am not sure what the rules are about leaving Bravo then re-entering on the same flight.

When departing KISM the Bravo base is 2000' and then rises to 4000' and then 6000'. With clearance into Bravo I would climb in at 2000 and then pass out where it raises to 4000, but I would climb into the 4000 base and then again at the 6000' base.

I do know that clearance into Bravo is not good the the rest of the week or even 24 hours.

Got the pitot static check done the following week so will be IFR from now on.

Any thoughts or experience on this.

Ken Andrew
N1182J
Commander 112 Hotshot.

Last edited:
First post......

Welcome to POA.....:cheers::cheers:..

Ps... if you do something stupid in a Bravo, Don't disclose your name and N number...:no:

For a VFR aircraft, a Bravo clearance is good for one entry only unless otherwise specifically stated. Absent such specific approval, once out, you stay out until you get a new clearance back in.

Controller is basically telling you that you that once you exit Bravo you need a new clearance to enter it again...which is true for pretty much any VFR flight.

I get this all the time with SFO Bravo. We have what is referred to as a "Bay Tour"...basically a sightseeing trip. I get a Bravo clearance to transition through SFO Bravo then go fly over the Bay and Golden Gate which is under an upper ring and just outside a middle ring...then need to fly back through Bravo to the south to return home. Even though the controller knows my intentions, I typically hear the same thing you got..."remain outside of Bravo airspace" once I exit on the north side.

When I am ready to transition back south I have to request another Bravo clearance.

Last edited:
Welcome to POA.

The controller was reiterating that you aren't allowed re-entry into the Bravo once you leave the Bravo. If I had to guess, perhaps your flight path took you in an area where the controller has observed Bravo violations in the past? I've given similar instruction before if I'm talking with an N-number I don't recognize, or I get a vibe that the pilot is unfamiliar with the airspace.

I just would have clarified with the controller, if one tells you that you were cleared, the other says stay clear, I'd have just said "last controller had be clearend into the bravo, I'm landing XYZ, please advise.

Also what's a "Limited Pilot Historical"?

Thanks all. As I thought I was in Bravo at the time it seems unusual.

Now to the climb out where I go in and out of Bravo due to differing B ceilings?

Ken

Thanks all. As I thought I was in Bravo at the time it seems unusual.

You probably were. Your current course and heading were taking you on a path outside of Bravo and you were still in Bravo when it was the appropriate time to give you the tower hand off, so it was appropriate for the Bravo controller you to issue you that instruction prior to hand off even though you were still in Bravo airspace. Basically he is saying once you leave my airspace don't come back in without permission. Towers typically do not have authorization to issue Bravo clearances (there are exceptions).

Now to the climb out where I go in and out of Bravo due to differing B ceilings?

I would say that is a different set of circumstances and simply requires communication with ATC and let them know your intentions in plain English and they can issue the clearance accordingly.

If you are simply cleared into Bravo at 2000' then exit, I would not automatically assume that you are also cleared in and out of the 4000' then 6000' rings without clarification.

Or just stay under the rings before you climb out. In the LAX Bravo, there are several lower transition routes that you have to remain under an upper ring before you can start a full climb out.

Last edited:
Back