Class B Frustration at U42 (South of KSLC)

I don't see how that is relevant since the main problem is the conflict with KSLC traffic. If KSLC wasn't there it wouldn't be an issue.

Terrain to the west SLC to the east. A LOC BC could help. However after looking at the terrain and everything, I think a GPS DP could work. however it would require a "tower" frequency at U42.

Terrain to the west SLC to the east. A LOC BC could help. However after looking at the terrain and everything, I think a GPS DP could work. however it would require a "tower" frequency at U42.

There is a direct comm channel to SLC approach for clearances. Of course it's prudent to switch to the CTAF for takeoff. I was told that there's not enough room east to west for two courses of the required width which are needed to allow a departure from U42 to remain clear of the jet traffic. A further complication is that the Class B floor above the airport begins at 1400 AGL and that's only in the narrow cutout around U42. To the west, east, and north Class B goes to the ground within a mile or two of the runway. One part I didn't understand at all is that I was told they can't pick up aircraft on radar until they are above the class B floor by quite a ways. Seems to me that coverage should extend to very near the ground since the antenna is only 10 miles away from U42.

Last edited:
So here is "The Rest of the Story" as Paul Harvey would say....

We've decided to relocate the plane to KSLC from U42 for a couple of months and see how that goes. Moved the plane there last weekend and talked to a number of the pilots based there.

They tell me not to hold out my hopes too high for IFR clearances into KSLC. Here is why...as a GA aircraft, my approach speed is too slow to fit in with the airliner traffic. They still have to create a pretty sizable hole for me to fit into the sytem flow. KSLC likes to land simultaneous approaches into 34R & 34L which then precludes GA from getting the ILS for 35 (too close to 34R for simultaneous approaches). We will see.

Seems that the FAA mandate of "first come, first serve" should give me a reasonable chance of getting similar handling & services as the airlines. That has always been my experience as I have flown into many of the major airports in the country. Frankly, never really had an issue until I started flying in this area and I am sure it will get better as I get more familiar with the local customs.

I'll keep everyone apprised as events unfold ....

Ruth

I'll add my two cents also... in all of my flying career SLC controllers are THE must difficult to work.

Granted, I spend most of my time in the Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Forth Worth areas. In much of the USA courtesy and service is highly valued... perhaps it is the culture?

I'm surprised to read all of this bad about SLC, this is the usual way it went when I went it,

I would descend from over parley's summit from around 10K they would have me get down to 5.5 east of I-15, as I would reach I-15 still headed west, the would clear me to enter right base for 35, I would basically go strait in from parley's canyon.

Leaving they would clear me right turn out climb to 5.5 and contact departure, after contact they would clear me east with unlimited climb.

Strait in and out.

When going to U42 from parley's canyon, they would basically the same thing but have me go strait to the south interchange, were the would clear me at I think 6K strait to U42 for a left base 16.

My instructor told me it was cause the way I would talk on the radio, cause I was trained by high time 121 and corporate guys and they would ride me on everything they could that had to do with comms, fast, precise, exact order, and clearly. It worked great for me. During the whole flight even when performing maneuvers they would quiz me with silly ATC instructions, and if I didn't do them all right then we would have a bit of ground talking about the order and clarity that I needed to work on.

They were always great to give me what I asked for, one time my wife wanted to do some photos of downtown, they gave me everything I asked for. Capitol, Rice Eccles, we spent about 30-45mins in their airspace going all over and changing alt, just told them nicely that we need to do some photos and the were great.

And while doing my IFR they were great to work with, my transponder kept messing up on me, and after the third day in a row, they asked me to please get it fixed, after droping of my instructor, they cleared me to land there since thats where I needed to go for a good shop to fix it.

I am not sure why others have had problems, but I would bet most are flying in the centers club, and I have heard rumors that SLC don't like the air centers instructors. Granted it was just rumors never went up to the tower and asked.

If you ask me this is one thing that is lacking with most instructors at u42.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to read all of this bad about SLC, this is the usual way it went when I went it,

I would descend from over parley's summit from around 10K they would have me get down to 5.5 east of I-15, as I would reach I-15 still headed west, the would clear me to enter right base for 35, I would basically go strait in from parley's canyon.

Leaving they would clear me right turn out climb to 5.5 and contact departure, after contact they would clear me east with unlimited climb.

Strait in and out.

When going to U42 from parley's canyon, they would basically the same thing but have me go strait to the south interchange, were the would clear me at I think 6K strait to U42 for a left base 16.

My instructor told me it was cause the way I would talk on the radio, cause I was trained by high time 121 and corporate guys and they would ride me on everything they could that had to do with comms, fast, precise, exact order, and clearly. It worked great for me. During the whole flight even when performing maneuvers they would quiz me with silly ATC instructions, and if I didn't do them all right then we would have a bit of ground talking about the order and clarity that I needed to work on.

They were always great to give me what I asked for, one time my wife wanted to do some photos of downtown, they gave me everything I asked for. Capitol, Rice Eccles, we spent about 30-45mins in their airspace going all over and changing alt, just told them nicely that we need to do some photos and the were great.

And while doing my IFR they were great to work with, my transponder kept messing up on me, and after the third day in a row, they asked me to please get it fixed, after droping of my instructor, they cleared me to land there since thats where I needed to go for a good shop to fix it.

I am not sure why others have had problems, but I would bet most are flying in the centers club, and I have heard rumors that SLC don't like the air centers instructors. Granted it was just rumors never went up to the tower and asked.

If you ask me this is one thing that is lacking with most instructors at u42.

I had no trouble getting in or out of SLC and U42 when the weather was good enough for a VFR departure and other than routing me a bit out of the way to the north when arriving into U42 from the east I haven't had any problems arriving IFR. It's only departing IFR from U42 that I found troublesome although I never tried any practice IFR approaches there either.

Yea IFR from U42 causes traffic problems for them so thats what makes it hard. I only got the GPS into u42 twice and was told that going missed wasn't an option.

Yea IFR from U42 causes traffic problems for them so thats what makes it hard. I only got the GPS into u42 twice and was told that going missed wasn't an option.

I've flown an IFR approach into U42 more than once and never heard anyone say I could fly some kind of missed approach procedure. The published miss may be out but they have to provide an alternative if you are cleared for the approach.

It was VFR and was, and was told to stay VFR. SOP for them when they are busy.

How can they legally tell you that going missed is not an option?

I think they can in VFR conditions, you can go around just not missed.

I think they can in VFR conditions, you can go around just not missed.

I don't see what "VFR conditions" would have to do with it on an IFR flight unless you were cleared for a visual approach And if the flight was conducted under Visual Flight Rules then there's no requirement for a missed approach AFaIK.

Back