Class A airspace / "FL 600"?

It doesn't seem you understand what the von Karman line means physically. It doesn't mean an aircraft can't get above the line, and doesn't even mean it can't stay there.

Your response indicates that it is you that does not understand it. As I said, you're floundering, it's in your best interest to move on.

Your response indicates that it is you that does not understand it. As I said, you're floundering, it's in your best interest to move on.

Do you believe all lift comes from fixed airfoils?

It would seem you do.

Some forms of lift work with zero downrange speed.

Do you believe all lift comes from fixed airfoils?

It would seem you do.

Some forms of lift work with zero downrange speed.

I believe you're unable to do what is in your own best interest.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

18,000 (in the US) is called the "transition altitude". This is where we switch from barometric corrected altimeter altitudes (roughly approximating MSL) and Flight Levels which as already pointed out are pressure altitude x 100 feet.

Note that this is roughly the elevation of the highest terrain in the US.

You mean 3000' AGL above them. There's only 7 peaks higher than 15,000' in the U.S. and 17 on the whole North American continent, most in the Yukon Territory of Canada and a number of those cross the U.S./Canada border with Alaska.

In the lower 48' there is nothing higher than Mt. Whitney at 14,495'.

Getting back to the question of what did the Red Bull team do - my guess would be IFR clearance through Class A then VFR on top. Theoretically they would also require an IFR clearance for both the jumper and the descending capsule to descend back down through Class A. That would fall under "prior arrangement" I'm guessing, rather than two-way radio and transponder. There should be good precedent for this to take place, since we've been sending weather balloons above Class A since the 50's.

The reason I asked the question is because in the last month or so I have seen some TV reporting of kids /grown-ups who have launched a balloon with a camera on it and it got into the 100,000+ msl range and then popped. The camera fell to earth along with the balloon debris.....

Did they have a prior agreement with ATC ?

Where they illegal ?

What happens when a plane hits said balloon and or debris ?

Inquiring minds and all...

Ben.

You mean 3000' AGL above them. There's only 7 peaks higher than 15,000' in the U.S. and 17 on the whole North American continent, most in the Yukon Territory of Canada and a number of those cross the U.S./Canada border with Alaska.

In the lower 48' there is nothing higher than Mt. Whitney at 14,495'.

Gak you're right. It has nothing to do with the terrain. I was confusing the transition altitude with the base of the Continental Control Area (which declares everything above 14,500' to be class E in the lower 48.

The reason I asked the question is because in the last month or so I have seen some TV reporting of kids /grown-ups who have launched a balloon with a camera on it and it got into the 100,000+ msl range and then popped. The camera fell to earth along with the balloon debris.....

Did they have a prior agreement with ATC ?

Where they illegal ?

What happens when a plane hits said balloon and or debris ?

Inquiring minds and all...

See FAR Part 101 Subpart D.

I believe you're unable to do what is in your own best interest.

How interesting. Are you the Physics Police?

I hate to tell you ... your opinion doesn't matter.

If you want to make semantic arguments, go ahead. No one cares. Just don't be too surprised when physics itself doesn't agree with your semantics.

You're an air traffic controller. That you might understand airspace better than the rest of us I'll grant. That you're God's gift to physics.....no.

Meanwhile, I believe Sarah has passed her private, commercial, instrument, CFI, ATP and has worked up to the left seat in the Boeing 797 flying for AmericanUnitedDelta...

How interesting. Are you the Physics Police?

I hate to tell you ... your opinion doesn't matter.

If you want to make semantic arguments, go ahead. No one cares. Just don't be too surprised when physics itself doesn't agree with your semantics.

You're an air traffic controller. That you might understand airspace better than the rest of us I'll grant. That you're God's gift to physics.....no.

Nor does your opinion matter. Here's some friendly advice for you; you're in a hole, stop digging.

WOW !!!

I cannot believe how far off-topic this thread drifted. I swear it's like a bunch of people decided to make a game out of seeing how far away from the OP's question this thread could get. I truly hope the OP can find the answer somewhere in this mess.

Geez!

Thank you all so much!
I meant post my appreciation earlier but things have been bananas at work.

Thanks again for explaining it so simply!

Back