Class 3 vs basic

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Well, bummer, my regular physician just let me know that after consulting with her practice group's lawyers, she was advised not to do the basic med paperwork "because of the liability incurred." Poot.

So, find another regular doc who will do basic med, or just re-up my current class 3? I'll probably do the latter since I don't have any reason to think I won't pass it, though basic is fine for the kind of flying I do. Hmm.

Given some of the restrictions of BasicMed, and the fact that you still will need to see a doctor, you may find that getting a 3rd class medical isn't really any more expensive. When I get back to flying something that requires a medical, I'll get a 3rd class; BasicMed is rather a mess.
Of course, you can always find another physician; I wonder if any advertise that they do BasicMed. Probably not; there are very few pilots, we are a fraction of a percent.

Well, bummer, my regular physician just let me know that after consulting with her practice group's lawyers, she was advised not to do the basic med paperwork "because of the liability incurred." Poot.
Unfortunately, this is a fairly common occurrence. The docs and their group are worried about their liability exposure should do something such as intentionally crash into an Austin IRS office or do something else that causes major harm to others.

What many (including me) have done to get BasicMed is to visit one of the "doc in the box" clinics that does physical exams for schools, sports, camps, and DoT. Bring the info about BasicMed from the AOPA site so the doc can familiarize himself with the program.

So, find another regular doc who will do basic med, or just re-up my current class 3? I'll probably do the latter since I don't have any reason to think I won't pass it, though basic is fine for the kind of flying I do. Hmm.

Chris I use Dr. Dennis Thrasher at the Sunnyside med clinic on Palo Verde North of Ajo Way. He's a pilot and an AME. Costs around $90.

Yes indeed, an AME can be a good choice. Many AMEs will do BasicMed (ask first, of course), and they are guaranteed to have the equipment needed to do the entire exam, assuming you don't have any ongoing medical issues.

Chris I use Dr. Dennis Thrasher at the Sunnyside med clinic on Palo Verde North of Ajo Way. He's a pilot and an AME. Costs around $90.

That's who I've used before too. :) I'll probably just go back to him, but since I see my primary dr anyway, if all she had to do was sign a form that would have been easier.

Between being new and being unfamiliar, there are docs who will turn away. OTOH, there are many who have no problem with it. I'm having mine done at my next regular physical with my regular primary.

On restrictions in BasicMed, unless you travel internationally or are flying a non-qualifying aircraft, the only practical restriction is acting as a safety pilot and not being the pilot in command.

This is poorly thought out. BasicMed adds nothing to the average doctor's liability exposure. Consider this: one third of women with newly-diagnosed breast cancer have had a normal breast exam within the preceding year. That means one third of breast cancer patients is in a position to accuse a doctor of negligence. "Normal breast exam" is one of the most high-risk things a doctor can write on a medical record. Yet most family doctors do exactly that multiple times daily.

This is poorly thought out. BasicMed adds nothing to the average doctor's liability exposure. Consider this: one third of women with newly-diagnosed breast cancer have had a normal breast exam within the preceding year. That means one third of breast cancer patients is in a position to accuse a doctor of negligence. "Normal breast exam" is one of the most high-risk things a doctor can write on a medical record. Yet most family doctors do exactly that multiple times daily.
Many of us recognize that bits and pieces of BasicMed don't quite work the way we would want, and we didn't realize the so many doctors and their groups would refuse to perform the examination.

But, those things are in a minority to the things that do work. And if you knew the details of how long the stakeholders who helped make it happen had to work, you'd really appreciate the effort they put in.

As far as adverse entries into your record, this is where the concept of "own your medical" is important... before the doctor finishes his entry into your chart, ask what he is putting there. Does that info have negative effects with the FAA? Could a different entry that the FAA is okay with be used?

I agree that the liability worries can be overblown. But the reasons some physicians balk on BasicMed are not limited to liability concerns. And many of the liability concerns are based on unfamiliarity with aviation. While most physicians have, for example, signed off a patient to go back to work or to start driving again, or, for that matter reporting negatives test results, we need to recognize that flying light aircraft is an activity engaged in by a small number of folks, with nonpilots viewing it as unusual, if not high risk.

I found a doc (AME who also does BasicMed) via AOPA's list: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/pilots/medical/doctor-finder He did pointedly ask me why BasicMed instead of Class 3 and pretty much said he figures people going for BasicMed "are trying to hide something," but he took my money, did the exam, and signed my form all with a smile.
It's unfortunate that an AME would take that attitude; partly because it implies that he can't trust you to honestly disclose your health status to him - in which case why would he assume an airman applying for an FAA medical would be more honest? And also because he clearly does not understand the advantages that BasicMed can bring to pilots who can qualify for a SI, but only by paying several AMUs annually to satisfy the FAA. An AME who is that clueless or insensitive is one I would probably avoid at all costs. I'm glad he did sign you off though, "with a smile"... interesting!

I also went to an AME for my BasicMed exam, who knew my health situation quite well because I had been working with him to try to get my 3rd class medical back. In fact he encouraged me to go for the SI, but understood my decision to go BasicMed instead and had no difficulty signing me off.

And BTW, he is also on the AOPA list, but I went to him before that list even existed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back