Class 3 medical vs Sport Pilot question

TRC1969

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TRC
Med Express asks the have you ever questions. We are all terrified to answer honestly but even more terrified not to! With that being said if you omit medical details and get caught due to an incident, you get nailed to some degree. But if a person has those same ailments and flies as a sport pilot and gets investigated for an incident, do you still get nailed. The reg says anything that will affect pilots ability. Well in my opinion whatever the ailment was/is does not affect me any longer or at all currently. Such as Off the meds, BP back to normal, heart now in good shape. Whatever the case may be. I mean doesn’t it seem like everybody that has to fly sport pilot because they feel like they can’t pass class 3 should, according to the reg self ground themselves. Aren’t you still (in the faa eyes) being dishonest. My point is if the penalties are the same for LSA medical omissions and class 3 omissions. What’s the difference. And I guess I’m really talking about the things the FAA seems to really make a stretch to get to, like antidepressants 5 years ago, adderall as a child.

Last edited:
It’s delibrate and different. It’s a mistake to try and make “sense” of it. What sense can be made of it seems to lie in the willingness to accept the slight increase in risk as mitigated by the increased restrictions. Indeed, Basic Med lies right in the middle.

If you study the geometry of a Pietenpol’s flight controls as published in the plans, they are all messed up... BUT, it flies just fine.

This is one of the lesser anomalies in FAA “logic”.

If you know that you have a medical issue that would cause you to be denied a medical so you choose not to apply and go SP instead, and you have an accident caused by one of those issues, the FAA will (rightfully) take action. Like if untreated high BP causes you to have a stroke while you're flying and you crash because of it. Otherwise, the FAA position is that if your home state judges you fit to drive a car, you're OK to fly, otherwise there would be no point to SP. They will not look further than that. Go fly and don't worry about it.

Sport pilots do have limited priviledges (1320 lb, day VFR, one passenger only etc..). With those limitations, the FAA presumably did a calculation and determined that the cost to the public of a medical issue causing an accident was within acceptable range. I personally find that quite reasonable. I am more concerned about sharing a two lane highway with a driver who has a medical problem than sharing a pattern with that same person.

If you or your doctor agree that you do "Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner." and are not operating "Contrary to any restriction or limitation on your U.S. driver's license or any restriction or limitation imposed by judicial or administrative order when using your driver's license to satisfy a requirement of this part." Then you are good to go.

Some people will claim that anything that is "disqualifying" for a third class medical also applies to sport pilot, but you will find nothing in writing from the FAA that supports that opinion.

What you will find...

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response4/
If I suspect I have a significant medical condition, but have never had an FAA medical certificate denied, suspended, or revoked, can I exercise sport pilot privileges using my current and valid driver's license, if otherwise qualified?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
Long-standing FAA regulation, § 61.53, prohibits all pilots — those who are required to hold airman medical certificates and those who are not--from exercising privileges during periods of medical deficiency. The FAA revised § 61.53 to include under this prohibition sport pilots who use a current and valid U.S. driver's license as medical qualification. The prohibition is also added under §§ 61.23 (c) (2) (iv) and 61.303 (b) (2) (4) for sport pilot operations.

You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. Certain medical information that may be helpful for pilots can be found in our Pilot Safety Brochures.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/sportpilots/response5/
Provided I otherwise qualify and have never sought FAA medical certification, am I authorized to exercise sport pilot privileges on the basis of a current and valid driver's license if I have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician's recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations.​

If you aren't fit to act as PIC in a Cub, you sure as **** aren't fit to be operating a SUV on public roads.

I agree. I have met with one of the recommended AME’s for a consultation. He says we are a go. But I just do so much reading about class 3 horror stories. It’s really kind of silly that responsible adults have to gamble on something like this. How can you be medically permitted to fly a newer LSA with full avionics, auto pilot, moving map..etc..basically the same speed as a c172 but the 172 with steam gauges is off limits. Just seems crazy. And the craziest part is you can fly flawed forever in a LSA, but if the faa discovers your flaw through medical denial then you done! That is so F&@-“?! Stupid. I mean where is the logic. If you apply for a CDL license and fail the physical they don’t take your drivers license! How many people were killed by overweight, drugged up on speed, heart attack in waiting CDL drivers last year. I bet it’s more than all GA deaths over the last several years. Makes me want to run for Congress!!!!! Like Clark griswald said. “ holy sh&$ where’s the egg nog”

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back