Class 3 Medical question (re: mental health)

wanttoflysoon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wanttoflysoon
I have a need to obtain a Class 3 Medical clearance. I really need to pass.

Unfortunately, I have gone through a stressful time last year, and at my wife's suggestion, I saw a doctor who prescribed Abilify. Reason for going to the doctor was due to paranoid thoughts of coworkers trying to get me fired and other untrue perceptions.

I am better today - taking Abilify for medication. I am willing to stop taking it for 60 or 90 days and see how it goes in order to get my Class 3 medical. I expect I will do fine, but don't know until I try it.

My question is - is it possible for me to pass the Class 3 medical, and what hoops will I need to go through to get it?

Can you pass? Yes, but you need the correct guidance to get it right on the first pass. Done wrong, you would be attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis. (Screwed)

For this guidance, seek out Dr. Bruce Chien at www.aeromedicaldoc.com. Or aeromedicaldoc at comcast dot com

The medication you took is classified as an SSRI. We send folks like you to Dr. Bruce since he is one of 4 authors of the current SSRI protocol the FAA accepted several years ago. So if any AME can bring your need and dream to reality, it's him. Follow his guidance and you should have your medical with minimum drama and fuss.

OP,

I am going to give you the same advice everyone else here is giving.. Please, reach out to Doc Bruce. He can help. His is probably the only advice you should follow

Is it me or is the OP's choice of words somewhat peculiar? "I have a need to obtain a Class 3 Medical clearance. I really need to pass."

I understand really wanting to get a Class 3 Medical, but for what reason would there be a true need? :dunno:

Is it me or is the OP's choice of words somewhat peculiar? "I have a need to obtain a Class 3 Medical clearance. I really need to pass."

I understand really wanting to get a Class 3 Medical, but for what reason would there be a true need? :dunno:

Dunno. But if gaining a 3rd class medical is what the desired result is, the advice to see Dr. Bruce is the best possible.

English is not everyone's first language....

Wait, there's a difference between want and need?

I have a need to obtain a Class 3 Medical clearance. I really need to pass.

Unfortunately, I have gone through a stressful time last year, and at my wife's suggestion, I saw a doctor who prescribed Abilify. Reason for going to the doctor was due to paranoid thoughts of coworkers trying to get me fired and other untrue perceptions.

I am better today - taking Abilify for medication. I am willing to stop taking it for 60 or 90 days and see how it goes in order to get my Class 3 medical. I expect I will do fine, but don't know until I try it.

My question is - is it possible for me to pass the Class 3 medical, and what hoops will I need to go through to get it?
As stated reach out to the Bruce.... but if your treatment is listed on your med information with the FAA, then they will probably want a psych report from a doctor. The AME will not issue by the way

Abilify is heavy duty stuff. It's an anti-psychotic, not an SSRI. It is not something you can just choose to stop for a few months on your own. You need to talk your doctor and see if weaning off of it is even an option for your right now. Stopping these types of medications cold turkey or AMA can lead to some pretty serious reactions, both mentally and physically.

I understand you want to fly, but please go talk with your doctor before choosing to take yourself off a med like this -for your safety and for those around you.

(I am not an MD, but a licensed counselor. I work frequently with clients on Abilify and other medications, so that's where my input comes from.)

Thanks for that reminder Eren. From the media, I was aware of Abilify, but didn't know it was an anti-psychotic or how heavy duty it is.

You're going to have a hard, if not impossible time. You need to talk to Doc Bruce. He was one of the authors of the SSRI protocol and is a HIMS AME.

First off, as already pointed out, Abilify is *NOT* an SSRI. You can't fly with it.

Second, SSRI use is a very difficult special issuance for certain depression. Paranoia and other diagnoses, even if treated with an SSRI is not issuable. It sounds like you have a disqualifying diagnosis.

I suspect that if you are OFF MEDICATION completely for a prolonged time and then submit to a full battery of Psychiatric and Psychological tests to disprove that you have any ongoing mental illness, you might get certified. This is not going to be easy.

Is it possible your coworkers are trying to get you fired? Was it your wife's suggestion that you see your doctor, or that your doctor prescribe Abilify?

Either way, you'll need a psych evaluation and you'll need to stay off the drugs. You didn't say why you NEED a third class medical but sport pilot may be an option provided you and your physician deem you safe to fly.

A while back a good friend I know who was a CFI, owing to some real pip of marital problems, went through the motions of committing suicide (not determined if it was a real effort or just an attention grab). In anyway, the standard PPP test then was four core tests (MMPI, projective (i.e., rorshack), etc..) plus one or two more that are targeted at whatever diagnosis you have. The last is an evaluation from a board-certified PSYCHIATRIST. The first bunch will run you something like $1000 (and no not covered by insurance, though most psychologists will run you through the MMPI-2 as a matter of course so you might have that). The Psychiatrist consultation will depend on whether you've already been seeing someone or whether they need to start the evaluation from scratch.

These days I can bet that they'll almost certainly also throw in a COGSCREEN run as a requirement (the FAA loves COGSCREEN, somebody high up is getting a big kickback from that company).

Like I said, there are very few AMEs around who will know from your initial consultation just what you're up against for your particular diagnosis. Doc Bruce is one of them and perhaps the most accessible.

So I had a really bad case of depression. I was diagnosed with psychotic depression. I was able to get stabilized by taking zyprexa/prozac. I have been off the zyprexa for almost a year. Is it possible for me to get a medical?

So I had a really bad case of depression. I was diagnosed with psychotic depression. I was able to get stabilized by taking zyprexa/prozac. I have been off the zyprexa for almost a year. Is it possible for me to get a medical?
Yes, it's theoretically possible, but beyond that you need to talk to someone like Bruce with all your medical history revealed.

If you really had psychotic depression probably not. If it can be done, you've already been told several times who to talk to.

BTW, if any of you taking or with a history of taking these psych meds are thinking about Sport Pilot, you need to have a have a very frank and honest discussion with your personal physicians, and any mental health doctors you are seeing.

Both the conditions discussed here, and the medications used to treat them, can have profound effects on one's ability to safely pilot *any* aircraft. Even a Sport Pilot is required to self-certify before each flight that he or she is in a safe state to make the flight. That process begins with knowing in detail any medical conditions you have and medications you are taking and their effects on your abilities.

I'm not necessarily saying this is the case here, but there are conditions and medications that make a reasonable self-certification impossible. SP gives a lot of freedom from the medical certification process, but it's not "carte blanche" in that regard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back