Class 3 medical coming up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I have an exam scheduled in 2 weeks and while I'm pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about I've started getting paranoid anyway.

I'm 30 years old for reference..

First, for the eye test. I've never worn glasses or contacts. I've always passed the vision screenings to renew my driver's license without any trouble. I have started to notice objects at a distance are not as sharp as they used to be... a slight halo effect around cars 1/4+ mile away especially around dusk. To be sure I scheduled an eye exam... I scheduled that 2 or 3 months back and it just happens to fall a few days before my FAA medical. I guess worst case is probably that they prescribe glasses. I have a website to go to and fill out a form online before the medical... should I maybe wait until after the eye exam until filling it out in case I have to say I wear glasses? I guess if I filled it out now it's not as if I'm lying when I say I don't and I read, drive, and target shoot just fine without them now.

Aside from that, I had a physical with my regular doctor just a couple months ago and he didn't see any problems. Blood pressure normal, LDL cholesterol normal, HDL a little low. Doctor suggested I try to excersize more but didn't seem to be concerned about anything.

But, I've been trying to loose a little weight, I'm 5'8" and weigh 187-191lbs, trying to get to 177-181lbs or at least stay below 185. I've(mostly) stopped drinking soda and drink a lot of water. I also make a concerted effort to not snack and eat smaller meals during the day. The result of this is when it gets close to mealtime I get a little light-headed and often get headaches. Nothing severe but I don't feel good. After I eat I feel great again. Same thing happened last time I put myself on a diet too, but with my medical coming up there's a little monkey in my head saying "oh no, blood sugar.. diabetes!!" :yikes:

I've been urinating frequently too... but that's no surprise. With my body demanding I consume something I've been giving it water- and of course what comes in must go out!

So, I'm pretty sure I'm being paranoid. All reason says I should be able to walk in right now with no eye test as is and pass without problems because I AM healthy and my vision has been just fine for a long time. Still, the monkey keeps screaming... anyone else been there?

For blood sugar concerns, did your doc share with you your hemoglobin A1c number?

If not, you can spend $30 for the Bayer home test. Not as good as the official lab, but decently accurate for home use.

An A1C 5.6% or below is normal. In prediabetes, A1C levels range between 5.7%-6.4%. If the A1C is 6.5% or above, a person has diabetes.

If you have a concern about diabetes, get thee to your main doc and get it figured out before you get to the AME. The flight physical is not where you want to find out.

On the frequent urination, are you also thirsty more than usual?

From the American Diabetes Association site:
Q: Could I have prediabetes and not know it?
A: Absolutely. People with prediabetes don't often have symptoms. In fact, millions of people have diabetes and don't know it because symptoms develop so gradually, people often don't recognize them. Some people have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of diabetes include:

unusual thirst
frequent urination
blurred vision
extreme fatigue
frequent infections
cuts/bruises that are slow to heal
tingling/numbness in the hands/feet
recurring skin, gum, or bladder infections

Last edited:
No frequent thirst. All of these symptoms started last week when I cut my calorie intake during the workday substantially. Completely eliminated soda but I'm so used to the caffeine that my body keeps screaming for a coke so I just drink a lot of water instead.

I don't think I have any other symptoms- the light headed feeling close to meal time was what was really worrying me but like I said I'm cutting my calories a lot so pretty sure it's just hunger.

I got some of those keytone test strips today. Tried one, was completely negative. I think I'm just being paranoid. If anything my blood sugar is probably too low rather than high.

NO COMMENT othan than airmen get it backwards all the time.

See your primary care guy before you see an AME.

See the optometrist before you flunk at the AMEs.
See....oh bother.

Actually, optometrist is scheduled a week ahead of time now that i look at my calendar so we're all good there.

Actually, optometrist is scheduled a week ahead of time now that i look at my calendar so we're all good there.
So how about the family practice doc- or are you going to let the AME at you, unevaluated for what essentially is the "practical test" of AAM 300?.

Aggie Mike had some good ideas, there....if it's not worth $30, then WTHeck?

When I was young getting my medical was uneventful, worry free and pretty much guaranteed. Now that I'm 43 and my medical is up I think I'll do a physical with my primary physician first with blood work included. It's not guaranteed anymore.

Cowman,

I'll reiterate strongly that you should visit you primary doc to answer the diabetes issue. The objective is,to be able to answer Question 18 with a definitive and decisive certainty yes or no and not "I don't think so".

Guessing can have as bad of consequences as lying on the app. There is time to find out and you should for your own personal health irregardless of wanting to obtain a pilots certificate. Your long term health is way more important than wanting to fly an aircraft.

Go purchase the home test tonight or tomorrow. If it is anywhere above 5.7%, immediately schedule with your primary doc.

Diabetes is a silent killer that you do not want to be effing with. I've seen the results of denial recently. He is an employee of mine and has had another toe surgically removed 3 weeks ago, and last week landed in the ER with near heart failure (his wife reported it is fluid in the sack around the heart). 5 weeks ago I had inquired about his A1c and was told 12.6% and is in stage 2 kidney failure. He is just 34, has two kids, and quite likely should be labeled "dead man walking".

Think of the financial burden going on too. He can't be at work to earn income and the medial bills ... Ay yai yai!

Again, don't shortcut this disease. It's good you are somewhat aware and are taking dietary steps. But don't use your visit to the AME as you screening event. Know that you are or are not before you go.

Last edited:
I think I picked up the wrong thing- I got the little strips you pee on. Sounds like I wanted on of the little digital glucose meters? I can grab one tomorrow. My wife's family has a lot of diabetes and she thought I was nuts for thinking I might have it but $30 for a little piece of mind seems worth it.

Is there a link somewhere with a list of the questions? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to find out if there's anything else I ought to research. Although in complete honesty my medical history is going to be sparse and boring. Worst thing I was ever diagnosed with is strep throat and some bronchitis when I was a kid. Not on anything, never done drugs, do drink but rarely.

I just hope the FAA doesn't expect me to remember when I had strep throat 20 some years ago and all the particulars or anything like that.

I think I picked up the wrong thing- I got the little strips you pee on. Sounds like I wanted on of the little digital glucose meters? I can grab one tomorrow. My wife's family has a lot of diabetes and she thought I was nuts for thinking I might have it but $30 for a little piece of mind seems worth it.
I believe you want a test that reads your HbA1C, which is a kind of time-averaged glucose over the last 90 days or so. The digital glucose meters just give you your blood glucose right now. I've seen pictures of A1C meters, they always have A1C in the name. Something like "A1C Now".

I believe you want a test that reads your HbA1C, which is a kind of time-averaged glucose over the last 90 days or so. The digital glucose meters just give you your blood glucose right now. I've seen pictures of A1C meters, they always have A1C in the name. Something like "A1C Now".

That's right. Manufactured by Bayer. http://www.a1cnow.com/Home

The digital finger stick monitors are the "instant snapshot" of your blood sugar at the time you stick your finger.

Cowman, what I'm pointing you to is the historical average number over the past 90 days, which is you're hemoglobin A1c number.

What is an A1C test?

The A1C test is also called glycated hemoglobin, HbA1c, or hemoglobin A1C. A1C provides an indication of average blood glucose control for the past 2-3 months. Hemoglobin is part of the red blood cells and binds to glucose. The A1C complex is formed when the glucose in the blood binds irreversibly (glycates) to hemoglobin. The higher the glucose level in the blood, the more that binds to the hemoglobin. Therefore, A1C values are proportional to the amount of glucose in the blood. The A1C result is in percentage (%) units in the United States or mmol/mol units in other countries. A1C reflects the amount of the hemoglobin that is glycated. Hemoglobin remains glycated for the lifespan of the red blood cell, about 90-120 days. Therefore, the A1C test reflects an average blood glucose control for the past 2-3 months.

The pee in the cup strips are used to see if there is sugar spilling over into your urine. If they detect sugar, it can be interpreted that your showing diabetic tendency and the A1c blood test needs to be done for the final answer.

A good link for more info: http://www.a1cnow.com/A1C-And-You/About-A1C/A1C-and-Blood-Sugar.aspx

Last edited:
Is there a link somewhere with a list of the questions? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to find out if there's anything else I ought to research. Although in complete honesty my medical history is going to be sparse and boring. Worst thing I was ever diagnosed with is strep throat and some bronchitis when I was a kid. Not on anything, never done drugs, do drink but rarely.

I just hope the FAA doesn't expect me to remember when I had strep throat 20 some years ago and all the particulars or anything like that.

Http://www.medxpress.faa.gov. Has the info and its where you will be filling out the form in advance.

Remember two things. 1) Any yes answer to question 18 will need additional explanation and possibly some required documentation. Post yes answers to this forum and Dr Bruce can provide some guidance in what to obtain.

2) when you go to the AME's take the printed results of the completed MedXpress form with you, but cut off the confirmation code at the bottom. Do not hand that over to the AME until he has a chance to review and say that he can issue you the certificate as you leave the office. Until he possesses the code and puts it into his side of the system, you are still in consultation mode and have some outs if he finds something that is a show stopper. Once he has the code, it's official and show stoppers may count against you.

Read the recent threads on on this topic.

Hmm, 18e hay fever and allergy- Sometimes when it's dry out and I'm mowing the yard I get a lot of dirt/grass clippings blasting me in the face and I get a runny nose, watery eyes, and sneeze somewhat. Otherwise I don't really recall having issues. Does that mean yes?

18f- Asthma or lung disease- I have a vague memory of having an inhaler around when I was a kid but I don't really remember being diagnosed with anything. It was never anything serious, I'd get a little tight feeling in the chest that was uncomfortable, take a puff on the inhaler and be fine. I know I didn't carry it with me at all and it was a non-issue from my teen years onto present. Is that a yes still? Unfortunately I don't have a parent around who would be capable of remembering anything like that anymore.

*edit
Also do I really need to remember the exact date of my last 2 routine physicals? I can probably nail the month down but if they really need that I'll have to call the doctor's office to look it up because there's no way I'd remember that.

Last edited:
Month and year are acceptable for doctor visits (see instructions for that part of the form, click the question mark or click this link: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Guides/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf)

Read the instructions to question 18 on the form... I would think "HAVE YOU EVER IN YOUR LIFE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH, HAD, OR DO YOU PRESENTLY HAVE..." Kinda answers your question about 18f.

Ask Bruce for the specifics, but if this was a childhood item that is not present today, then what is needed is a PLAINLY worded letter from your current doctor saying that he checked you for asthma and, as of the date of the letter, what he found. Again, get the specifics from Bruce as wll as a possible boilerplate to give to the doc.

18e question might be a no if you have never been formerly diagnosed. As always, Bruce is the best advisor on this.

Not trying to give advice, but I've checked the hayfever box for years. My doc asked if it was seasonal (very...) and what I do for it -- mainly to make sure I wasn't taking any disapproved meds.

These days it's just a "previously reported, no change" entry for me. Never been a problem.

Thinking back on it, I don't remember actually being diagnosed as having asthma at the time. Memory is very fuzzy but it seems like they thought I might and put me on the inhaler to see if it helped or my dad did have it and I was just using his. I don't know, I'm trying to remember details from something that happened over 20 years ago and was never a big deal to begin with.

As far the hay fever, to give one an idea of how dusty my yard gets I come in covered in dirt head to toe and if I pat my head little poofs of dust would come off. The only "treatment" is a kleenex and a shower. That's why I thought it was iffy- I'd think just about any human would have that reaction in those conditions.

Now that I've thought about it, I know why I can't remember being diagnosed as having asthma as a kid.

I don't want to get into details other than to say it's not as bad as it sounds but.....

If the "diagnosis" came from a veterinarian making observations not an MD performing tests it wouldn't count, right?

Now that I've thought about it, I know why I can't remember being diagnosed as having asthma as a kid.

I don't want to get into details other than to say it's not as bad as it sounds but.....

If the "diagnosis" came from a veterinarian making observations not an MD performing tests it wouldn't count, right?

But as the kid, were you even paying attention to what the doc was saying and recording in the file? Or were you just putting up with das pokken unt prodden?

What you are telling us and how you are revealing the information is why Dr. Bruce and others here strongly stress "Know Before You Go". If a diagnosis of anything was ever logged into your chart and made it into the databases, is there for the FAA to find. If you report now "No" to that question and the FAA finds later you were diagnosed, it can open a major can of very bad worms.

Last edited:
If I just say I had very mild asthma as a kid but no longer have symptoms and don't require treatment is that going to pass or will they require a letter?

Primary doc did check my breathing within the past 60 days and it was fine. I'd think I could probably just make a phone call and see if he'd write a letter saying my lungs are fine.

I would get a written letter to have on hand if the AME asks for it. Unlikely the phone call will suffice.

I'll find out. Maybe I can actually get in to see him or at least get a letter in the next 2 weeks. What does the letter need to say?

Btw thanks to everyone giving me help. I know I'm dithering a little. It's just that for any other purpose my answer to whether or not I had any of these things would have been an unhesitant no without a second thought!

And after all this, he's not gonig to go and get screened for diabetes. Go figure. :( Some horses you cannot even lead to water.

I am going to get at least some form of screening but its likely I won't need to have an actual physical consultation to get a blood test(office has a seperate lab for blood/urine tests that can be done on short notice and outside work hours).

The same doctor just checked my lungs with a stethoscope less than 2 months ago so depending on what if anything is needed as verification I don't have asthma anymore I may be able to have all these bases covered without having to jump through the hoops of trying to schedule an appointment during business hours.

I think I found my answer

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...aam/ame/guide/special_iss/all_classes/asthma/

I've never had severe asthma, been hospitalized, had issues in flight, or ever required steroid medication. So it looks like I shouldn't be worried about it.

Misleading reference. That is guidance for the examiner regarding ability to issue the certificate under the special issuance protocol.

That is not the correct guidance on if question 18f should be answered yes or no.

CVS pharmacies and thier Minute Clinic can provide the diabetes screen. http://www.minuteclinic.com/services/healthconditionmonitoring/

I had an amusing visit to the AME once. He dipped his seven way strip into my urine (more than is required) and found the ketone test yeilding bright purple. This caused some concern but I pointed out I was on the Atkins diet. He suggested I go home and eat some carbs and submit a full up urinalysis. It only took a sandwhich at lunch to stop me spilling ketones.

Cowman, I just de-identified this email. It's from a Red Board airman who tried to do it on his own, got his SI revoked, and is going to have to get re-evaluated. He chose to quit. For $150 I could have kept him out of trouble, six months ago.

I'me not even asking you for a cent. But you wont' take advice. Good luck, there's a lot at stake....

"I REFUSE to be at the whim of the FAA to pull my medical over something so trivial. So i want to make sure that if i redo the test it will come back as no *****.***** I will not spend any more money to make FAA happy when i am all ready well over $2000 in less than 2 years at this point for a hobby. What i am currently doing is enough to keep my DOT medical so that good enough for me."

Well, you can refuse all you want. He got the demand for his certificate back and the revocation of his SI. It is SOOO much cheaper to get it right and stay out of the weeds in the FIRST PLACE.

I'm done here.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, everyone. I have turned off my PMs, email is off.

Last edited:
If it's over me, I won't pm you again. I'm sorry I offended you and I apologize.

Please don't deny others help because of me.

Tomorrow I'm just going to get a diabetes screening set up. Then I'll call the doctor who will be giving me the exam and find out if he will need me to bring anything to prove my childhood asthma isn't a current issue. At least that way I'll have an answer and nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back