Class 3 Medical - 9 Month SSRI Usage

M

MVM

Hi folks,

I'll try to keep this concise. I do plan to consult with an AME.

Last Aug, I started a new job and I was more a little more stressed than usual, so I went to the doctor, who prescribed an SSRI (Lexapro.) Fast forward to June, and I felt fine, so I discussed with my doctor and we agreed on the record that I can stop the Lexapro, so I did (and I feel great.)

I did this largely because of SSRI Decision Path I (Discontinuing SSRI and waiting 60 days.)

60 days have passed, and I have a favorable report from the doctor who issued the Lexapro.

I've tried to read up on a lot of the forums/articles about this process, and it seems like if you took the SSRI for less than 6 months, the AME can issue the medical, but if it's more than 12 months, they have to defer... I'm not sure if what I'm reading is accurate or not, so wanted to ask here.

My question: Does anyone know what happens at 9 months of taking an SSRI and discontinuing? Will it likely require a deferral or is there a chance the AME can issue?

Many thanks in advance!

Other quick facts, if it helps:
- This is my only event/occurrence.
- I've never taken other SSRIs.
- I haven't completed a MedXPress application yet.

It appears to me that issuance can be made 60 days after discontinuance, regardless how long the med was taken. The OK reasons for prescribing the medication:
  • Major depressive disorder (mild to moderate) either single episode or recurrent episode
  • Dysthymic disorder
  • Adjustment disorder with depressed mood
  • Any non-depression related condition for which the SSRI is used
And no Hx of:
  • Psychosis
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Electro convulsive therapy
  • Treatment with multiple SSRIs concurrently
  • Multi-agent drug protocol use (prior use of other psychiatric drugs in conjunction with SSRIs.)

It appears to me that issuance can be made 60 days after discontinuance, regardless how long the med was taken. The OK reasons for prescribing the medication:
  • Major depressive disorder (mild to moderate) either single episode or recurrent episode
  • Dysthymic disorder
  • Adjustment disorder with depressed mood
  • Any non-depression related condition for which the SSRI is used
And no Hx of:
  • Psychosis
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Electro convulsive therapy
  • Treatment with multiple SSRIs concurrently
  • Multi-agent drug protocol use (prior use of other psychiatric drugs in conjunction with SSRIs.)
It is vitally important that it be stated by your doc, "no prior episode of SSRI treatment nor anxiety/depressive disorder. Otherwise you have recurrent disease whcih can't access path 1!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back