Class 3 med High Cholesterol & Blood Press

U

Unregistered

I am a new pilot, just passed my check ride last Friday. During my last primary doc visit my cholesterol and blood pressure were high, he said come back in three months and we can check it again. If its still high we will need to think about meds.

Three months have passed and I am anticipating he wants to prescribe some meds. My questions is how do I handle this so that I can still fly? Are there certain medications I should request that the FAA is OK with? Will I need to follow up with my AME before filling any prescriptions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

BP is one thing, cholesterol is another.

Cholesterol meds and diagnoses seem to be a no-brainer. I've just told the AME about it, marked it on the form, and got on with my life.

BP is a different story, though, and someone with experience in that arena will have to help you.

There are a couple of databases out there that have the FAA approved meds, and I see that pilot dude posted one of them. The AOPA site may require a membership to see, though. Here's another one: http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

Wait for an AME to chime in on this thread - you'll get the expert answer then.

Oh, and congrats on the PP checkride, Captain!

Last edited:
I am a new pilot, just passed my check ride last Friday. During my last primary doc visit my cholesterol and blood pressure were high, he said come back in three months and we can check it again. If its still high we will need to think about meds.

Three months have passed and I am anticipating he wants to prescribe some meds. My questions is how do I handle this so that I can still fly? Are there certain medications I should request that the FAA is OK with? Will I need to follow up with my AME before filling any prescriptions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

First (and most rewarding) is to improve diet and exercise and lose any weight that is adding to this problem. It is something I'm struggling with myself. But there are so many positive stories from those who make progress in this area.

Second, documented hypertension may trigger a special issuance (Dr. Bruce will know for certain). If it does, getting one isn't difficult, but you'll need your primary doc on board to create status letters that are simple worded and straight to the point with no $5.00/word-out-of-the-medical- thesaurus additions.

There is worksheet provided by AOPA (sample version attached) that will needed to be filled out by you, have data added by your primary doc, and signed by your primary doc. This plus a copy of the necessary labs that Dr. Bruce will remind you of, and a status letter with all of the necessary info about exam, results, medications, lack of side effects, and no evidence of coronary artery disease (CAD) will be needed to satisfy the folks at OKC.

Finally, a major point to keep in mind is to really own your medical and do all the steps outlined by Dr. Bruce.

The primary benefit is that once your file reaches the top of the stack at OKC, the initial reviewer can say that all is here and good and issue the SI and Certificate.

If you let it get compliated or worse, left things out, it get's passed up to one of the very busy doctors, set at the bottom of another larger pile, and you're waiting even longer.

The nuts and bolts are: Not a complete showstopper for your flying, but there are things to be done and documented by yourself, your primary doctor, and your AME. But more improtantly, make the right lifestyle changes to fix this. It does take effort, but so did obtaining your PPL, and the results are just as rewarding.

Attachments

• FAA HYPERTENSION EVALUATION WORKSHEET 2.pdf
    139.5 KB · Views: 3,384
BP is an easy issuance, needs (one time) EKG, K+, Creatinine, Fasting LIPID profile, Fasting glucose, and a letter from your doc ("well controlled, no side effects, no obvious coronary disease"). ANY Ame can then issue. Every 2 years then just the doc's letter.

High cholesterol in and of itself is not grounding. If not controlled, the Heart attack that follows WILL ground you. Most of the cholesterol meds are permitted!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back