Class 2 medical reasoning

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have been trying to figure out the logic of government regulations (perhaps I should be put away). :D

A student pilot with zero hours buys an airplane in Texas and hires me for $700 as a CFI to fly it with him to Wisconsin. A Class 3 medical is required and we log the two-day flight as dual. Everything is ok.

The same student pilot buys the same airplane in Texas and hires me as a ferry pilot for $700 to fly it to Wisconsin for him. Now a Class 2 medical is required, and everything is ok.

I think the reason for the Class 2 medical is to protect the flying public and to have a higher standard for paying passengers who largely do not know the full risks involved. In the first situation, with a zero-hour student, the risk to life is double that of the second situation.

I think that if no passengers are involved, one should be able to perform limited Commercial operations (ferrying, banner towing, ag spraying, etc). What is the logic here? The FAA seems to be mostly interested in the flying public being protected, but in solo operations, there is no flying public.

Obviously I can see the need for a Commercial license as it demonstrates a higher level of skill.

Class 2: you’re getting paid to fly.
Class 3: you’re getting paid to teach. Flying is secondary.

Class 2: you’re getting paid to fly.
Class 3: you’re getting paid to teach. Flying is secondary.

I understand that, but with a zero-hour student who, by definition, does not know how to fly, it seems like the "protecting the public" mantra is working backwards.

I understand that, but with a zero-hour student who, by definition, does not know how to fly, it seems like the "protecting the public" mantra is working backwards.
the Alternative isn’t commercial flying with a third class…the alternative is instruction requiring a second class.

Perhaps so. That would get rid of every instructor I have ever had except one.

Consider that instructing or taking a checkride in a simulator used to require at least a second-class medical.

I have been trying to figure out the logic of government regulations (perhaps I should be put away). :D

A student pilot with zero hours buys an airplane in Texas and hires me for $700 as a CFI to fly it with him to Wisconsin. A Class 3 medical is required and we log the two-day flight as dual. Everything is ok.

The same student pilot buys the same airplane in Texas and hires me as a ferry pilot for $700 to fly it to Wisconsin for him. Now a Class 2 medical is required, and everything is ok.

I think the reason for the Class 2 medical is to protect the flying public and to have a higher standard for paying passengers who largely do not know the full risks involved. In the first situation, with a zero-hour student, the risk to life is double that of the second situation.

I think that if no passengers are involved, one should be able to perform limited Commercial operations (ferrying, banner towing, ag spraying, etc). What is the logic here? The FAA seems to be mostly interested in the flying public being protected, but in solo operations, there is no flying public.

Obviously I can see the need for a Commercial license as it demonstrates a higher level of skill.
Seriously Dude, a Class 2 is $150. If you student can afford the plane and pay you, increase your rate and get the 2.

It is not all about training completed and skills once demonstrated. The reason the FAA requires a Class 2 is to protect the aircraft owner from a pilot with medical deficiency.

Last edited:
The better question to ask is what about a 2nd class medical makes a pilot any safer than a 3rd class medical. Slightly tighter vision standards?

Flying magazine had a great overview of the 4 available classes of FAA medical certificates.

The biggest difference between Class 2 & Class 3 is the renewal term and vision.

The better question to ask is what about a 2nd class medical makes a pilot any safer than a 3rd class medical. Slightly tighter vision standards?
Annual exam to review health changes vs 24 or 60 months and the eye standard.

The only reason I have a class 3 is because I have a lazy right eye...and I'm too lazy to get a SODA. Maybe come renewal I'll look into it more if I'm not absolutely sure I can get to 20/40.

Back