Class 1 medical reinstated after stroke?

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by cerebro, Nov 16, 2017.

1. cerebro

cerebro Guest

I had a small but significant cryptogenic embolic eschemic stroke behind the wheel of a large aircraft. I grounded myself and am in the midst of a full physical recovery.

I am in otherwise excellent condition. No other underlying causes. I think it was a recent lower leg massage that released scar tissue (emboli) and caused the stroke. It was discovered during diagnosis that I have a patent foramen ovale or 'naturally occurring extra heart valve' that allowed the pathway from vein to arteries. The diagnosing physician attributed this as the cause of the stroke and recommended PFO closure to prevent another stroke.

I'm wondering if I follow the doctors recommendation and perform the PFO Closure procedure will I be able to get my First Class medical back sooner than the normal 1-2 years?

2. Dotsero

Dotsero Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dotsero
    Talk to Dr. Chien

3. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
  4. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Thirded, call Bruce ASAP, he will know how to proceed.

5. nrpetersen

nrpetersen Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    nrpetersen
    BTDT for a 3rd class. Except I was suspicious of the closure techniques so I've stayed on Coumadin for 25 years which my anti-coag clinic doc said was the correct decision. Maybe there are some better methods now. Otherwise I was down for two years then got only multiple 1 year 3rd class with the usual delays etc. My AME frustratingly noted he had 1st class pilots on Coumadin. I sold my 172 & went sport pilot. Hopefully times have changed but I just finally gave up. Dr Chien may have an answer but even with the heavyweights in Aeromedical I couldn't push the process.

6. lbfjrmd

lbfjrmd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    FAA HIMS/AME/ATC flight doc
    i would follow the BEST medical advice for your brain ... convalesce for 3 months and then begin thinking about the re-application process

Dotsero likes this.
  7. Dotsero

Dotsero Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dotsero
    Excellent advice