Claroxan?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
I assume everyone has seen the ads for this "vision enhancer/maintainer" plastered just about everywhere.

I am assuming its snake oil, but anyone have experience with it either way?

Not with that that product.

But when I went to the optometrist for my first DM2 SI, she had several brochures out promoting increased intake of Lutein to promote eye health (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutein). This is a naturally occurring is a xanthophyll and one of 600 known naturally occurring carotenoids that can be found in high quantities in green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and yellow carrots. You can also purchase it in the supplement aisle.

As far as the Claroxan, I'm always leery when it comes to not yet proven "proprietary mixes" such as what they offer. Individually, there might be health benefits from each ingredient, but us unwashed masses don't know enough to tell if that mixture is a good thing to ingest, or something to be avoided.

For now, I'd rather save my money, up my intake of good nutrition, and work on the clean living angle versus magic pills.

promoting increased intake of Lutein to promote eye health (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutein). This is a naturally occurring is a xanthophyll and one of 600 known naturally occurring carotenoids that can be found in high quantities in green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and yellow carrots. You can also purchase it in the supplement aisle.

My optho recommended Lutein. He said many of the carotenoids flowed through the eye (in the bloodstream) but the emphasis was on flowed through, whereas lutein somehow was absorbed/retained and was therefore much more effective.

Izzat true? :dunno:

-Skip

My optho recommended Lutein. He said many of the carotenoids flowed through the eye (in the bloodstream) but the emphasis was on flowed through, whereas lutein somehow was absorbed/retained and was therefore much more effective.

Izzat true? :dunno:

-Skip

did you try it and have a follow up visit with optometrist

I assume everyone has seen the ads for this "vision enhancer/maintainer" plastered just about everywhere.

I am assuming its snake oil, but anyone have experience with it either way?

By law, providers of nutritional supplements are not required to provide any proof for the claims they are making. The claims made by that particular brand of supplement dont seem to be very well supported by science.

Most of the eye-supplement business rides on the coattails of the NIH funded AREDS and AREDS2 trials:

http://www.nei.nih.gov/amd/

These trials did show that IF you are suffering from age related macular degeneration, there is a moderate beneficial effect from a particular mix of antioxidants, lutein and zinc. To my knowledge, there is no data to support that any particular mix of supplements is either protective against AMD or has any other beneficial effect on eye health.

Somebody must be actually ordering this stuff, since they keep buying all those ads.

:)

Maybe the "proprietary formula" is glucose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back