Clarity Aloft Headset (Ear bud versus Ear Covering)

Palamedes

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Ellis
Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.clarityaloft.com/

I am one of those who doesn't like things over my ears.. I have a nice set of headphones that do the full ear cover thing and they work great but to be honest I don't like it much as I find it to be uncomfortable. It's not the headphones, I just don't like things on my ears.

Are these ear bud style headsets good? Are there better ones?

I've tried the Clarity Aloft, and the QT Halo in Cessnas, Pitts S2B, J3, and a Lancair. They're great for shorter hops but after about 2 hours my ears wanted to set the damn things on fire. I went on to buy the Bose A20 and sell both of the in-ear headsets. In the Pitts (which is a noisy SOB.) they work well since they weigh almost nothing and you're only up for a half hour at a time.

Since I wear hearing aids and I am used to having things in my ears, the in ear would not be a problem, I just need to make the move soon. Hearing aids out, QT in. Reverse at end of flight.

Last edited:
I use the CA headset and have two pairs of Zulus as well. The CA are my primary headset. They don't block out the low-end noise as well as the Zulus but I find the comfort worth the added low-end noise.

One thing to consider is the CA will cost you about $20 per year to replace ear plugs depending on how much you fly. I fly about 150 hours per year and replace the earplugs every couple months. Just bought a pack last week for $20.

Headset do require new earmuffs every other year so it may be a wash; my Zulus are falling apart again.

I have a CA aloft headset and like it more than any over-ear headset I have tried. They are sturdier than they look too.

Headset do require new earmuffs every other year so it may be a wash; my Zulus are falling apart again.

??? haven't had to replace the earmuffs on my Zulus since I bought them four years ago. I average over 100 hrs/yr so it is not like they are unused...

We operate 2 aircraft - piston and jet. Have Clarity Aloft and Bose A20s. The Bose sit and gather dust because everyone (except one) prefers the CA to the Bose. (the exception doesn't like the Bose either, so he's just difficult)

I use mine in open cockpit and for aerobatics as well...all around a winner in my book. It's not that I don't like the Bose, but after an hour (or less) I'm done with the headset...and to think I wore a helmet for 22 years......lol. I've gotten spoiled not having the headset on my head. (Tip: clip the cord to your collar -- stabilizes the CA headset so it stays put better)

Footnote: In 5 years we've had a couple cases of insulation cracking and such -- even out of warranty Aloft has covered the repairs for the price of shipping (1 way -- they've sent back at n/c). One repair they charged $75... I'm quite happy with the service and reliability overall.

Agreed -- I have Clarity Aloft and love them.

- Comfort: I don't spend day after day in a plane like some, but over 5-hour flights (about my longest) I haven't had any problems with discomfort at all. The headset ships with several medium-sized replacement tips (10 or 12 pair?), and one small-sized replacement, but there is also a large size. My ears do quite well with medium, but there are options available.

- Noise: I've never owned a pair of ANR headsets, but the Clarity Aloft are certainly better than any of the PNR sets I've worn. I'm mostly in 2- and 4-seat planes, and they work very well.

- Build quality: As someone above said, very sturdy compared to what you might think looking at pictures. I keep mine in a small, unpadded compartment of my flight bag, and they are surviving quite well.

- Ease of use: Only takes 2 minutes of fiddling to figure out how to put them on quickly. Just remember to squeeze the ear tips to put them in your ears unlike rolling them as you would with earplugs, since constant torsion on the attached wire will probably wear it out quickly.

I was happy enough with a good PNR set for a while, but a combination of wanting to use those as a "passenger headset" and getting different glasses that broke the seal a bit much pushed me to try CA, and I love them. If you wear glasses, or want to wear a hat, or care about your hair, or whatnot, these are fantastic.

Anyone tried both the CA and the QT Halo?
What are the differences?

I like my CA headset, but on an all day cross country they will start to bind around my ear.

I have tried the David Clark DC Pro-X. I like the on top of the ear. I will buy a pair when they go on sale.

Hi,

I've also been thinking about getting in-ear headsets. I see that you guys mostly talk about the Clarity Aloft and the Quiet Technologies Halo.

Two questions:
- Are there any other worthwhile in-ear headsets?
- Do the make ANR in-ear headsets?

Thanks,

BB

Hi,

I've also been thinking about getting in-ear headsets. I see that you guys mostly talk about the Clarity Aloft and the Quiet Technologies Halo.

Two questions:

I'm building my own, right now. I'm using Plugfones (like an ear bud, only installed inside a foam earplug) and a Radio Shack matching transformer. Plugfones cost $15 or so, and five pairs of replacement foam plugs is $5.

Got a microphone element, and am going to build a holder for it based on this VAF posting:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=20917

Goal is something I can wear under a leather helmet. I've tested the Plugfones, and they fit comfortably.

Ron Wanttaja

Evaluate the Quiet Technologies Halo as well.
+1 on that. I was skeptical when Tim told be about them, but with a 30day trial period I thought what the heck. I loved them. I have flown 8 hr days with them and I wouldn't trade them off.
Only thing I wish they would add is a jack connector for music or something, but for the price its not gonna happen
Price for one.

Clarity Aloft is the only way to go. Don't need batteries or power and they don't crush your ears on a long flight.

My wife has the Clarity Aloft and really likes them. I use them from time to time (usually if I'm flying a passenger, I'll offer up my Zulus and use the CA myself. I'm not overly fond of them. ATC tells me that it's one of the clearest mike's they've ever heard.

Only downside is that their factory service is not particularly speedy (nor inexpensive).

I haven't tried the Clarity Aloft, but have QT Halos for myself and my wife. I haven't put on the DCs since they arrived. Even after a full day of flying they were quite comfortable -- so much so that you don't really even notice they're there. Intercom and radio is crystal clear, outside noise is simply not a factor. They're quite a bit quieter than my DC 13.4s with gel ear pads. No problems with durability, even though I've snagged and yanked the cable with my foot a few times getting out of the plane.

Sound quality of the CAs is stunning. It is not just the mic (which is the same one used in professional entertainers' mic sets) but the ear transducers as well. "Clarity" is not just a slogan.

I tried the QT Halo first but ran into compatibility problems with the aircraft's audio system. Even with the volume all the way up I could barely hear anything. I sent them back to have them adjusted but they still weren't loud enough. The owner was very cooperative and we decided that it had something to do with a technical incompatibility with an old, possibly nonstandard, audio system so he gave me a full refund. I tried them in another airplane and they worked fine. I subsequently bought the CAs and they worked OK in that airplane and all others I have tried.

Hi,

Two questions:

Thanks,

BB

They make ANR in-ear headsets for IPods (have a pair and they work great for airliners) but haven't seen them for GA yet...sure they are coming.

Hi,

Two questions:

Thanks,

BB

Lightspeed makes the Mach1 which has an optional molded earpiece.

My regular headset was the Zulu 2. Couple of months ago I picked up a set of CA. I haven't made a final decision which I like better. On the CA, it sure is nice to be able to pop your cap off and scratch your head during those long cross country flight. Just more of a feeling of freedom without the headset on. I'm not certain that I'm totally good with having the pieces inside the ear. In the longer flight I have had, I did want to pull them out and "reset" them at times. As far as noise attenuation, the CA's do a fine job.

Love my QT Halos! I've replaced one ear plug in three years, from the spares included in purchase. But I use the silicone ones, not the foam. They don't neex to be crushed/rolled before use, and don't get hard in cold weather. I roll them once or twice before flight in winter and don't notice them being cold in my ears.

Another wonderful benefit is no more clamp-pressure headaches after a couple of hours. And my ears don't get sweaty in summer. For music, there's the music input on the intercom; Radio Shack has what you need to connect to it.

FlyLikeaGirl and I have been using CA for a couple of months now and love them. Lightweight, no clamping pressure, good passive noise reduction, doesn't interfere with hats, sunglasses, etc.

So far, we've only used them in a noisy 7AC. I forget I'm wearing a headset.

If anyone has had both, other than the extra $150 or so are the CA's any better than the QT's.

I love my Clarity Aloft headset but it does not keep my ears warm at this time of year.

I have the CA's. Never tried the QT's. The one thing I'd recommend is getting a pack of triple flange ear tips to replace the foam tips. That way you don't have to wad up the tips to stuff them in your ear (eww). They'll need to be cleaned every once in awhile, but that's a simple rinse in the FBO restroom. They do not screw in like the tips, but have a tight enough fit that they're not going anywhere for quite some time; took me about six months for the tips to stretch to the point they were getting stuck in my ear when I took the headset off, and another month or so before they were simply falling off the headset. I think I paid $2 for a pack of ten a few years ago.

A question for CA and QT users...

Ever had some idiot with a feedback squeal or loud noise come up suddenly? Do they come OUT of your ear relatively easily when they must?

Just asking since I hate it when you can't get a headset OFF when needed for problems.

We have both. I like the Halo, wife like the QT.

HALO:
Less expensive
Lighter (fractionally)
The speaker is in the base, not at the end if a wire, so less likely for it or the wire to damaged. (Sound transmitted via sound tube, CA has a speaker in the earpiece)
Uses standard, off-the-shelf earpieces
Can get and use custom molded earpieces
Less expensive

CA
Better heft, feels more "professional"
Music/audio input
Have not experienced any audio incompatibility
CA is better at staying exactly where you put it, but is heavier.

I currently use a Bose. Bought it, feel like I have to hear it. Halo sound reduction about equal. Used the Halo on a 2500mi XC, found I kept trying to get out of the plane with them on.
I'll probably sell the Bose and get a CA for me, I want the music input.

Alan, the Halo does provide a jack on the volume box to plug in a wired connection to your MP3 player.

Alan, the Halo does provide a jack on the volume box to plug in a wired connection to your MP3 player.
I must have an old one (I bought it from him at OSH in, like, 2006 or 2007). It most definitely does not have one, I had to buy an inline adapter.

I'm glad he added that, the plug is why we got CA for my wife.

Margy has a very early CA unit. The box is just a knob with the two plugs for the panel and one cord going to the rest of the headband. No audio in and she doesn't use it.

I have a ZULU.2 and I've used the bt for calling for clearances/release on the cell phone but we've got XM in the panel so I don't use the headphone interface for that.

I must have an old one (I bought it from him at OSH in, like, 2006 or 2007). It most definitely does not have one, I had to buy an inline adapter.

I'm glad he added that, the plug is why we got CA for my wife.

Yup... mine was purchased within this past spring and had the socket....

I need to search the electronic gadget sits to find a low cost bluetooth receiver that I could plug into that socket.....

I also have the Zulu.2 and have been wearing that for longer flights when I want music. I need to practice using the cell phone features for using it like Ron describes above.

Last edited:
Love my Clarity Alofts, very convenient and easier to deal with then over the ear headsets.

Back