Clarification for Wellbutrin/Bupropion

eso26

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eso26
Hi, I'm a student pilot, and I'm on Wellbutrin for depression. I've had constant concerns that this will prevent me from getting a medical, and therefore getting a student pilot certificate.
I've looked around, and while the entire subject is pretty confusing, I've come to the conclusion that until I'm off Wellbutrin for a decent chunk of time, I'm not eligible for any kind of medical certificate. I haven't held one in the past, so I'm not eligible for BasicMed, either.

I know that the FAA likes to change their minds over this subject frequently, and most of the information I've found is about one to ten years old. I just would like confirmation that what I've said is true, or if something has changed.

Thank you.

You will learn much in this forum, but learn this first: "Until I'm off Wellbutrin for a decent chunk of time, I'm not eligible for any kind of medical certificate" is false. Either stay on an approved SSRI ... or stop. Seek out a HIMS AME. You can be certificated either way.

Last edited:
You will learn much in this forum, but learn this first: "Until I'm off Wellbutrin for a decent chunk of time, I'm not eligible for any kind of medical certificate" is false. Either stay on the SSRI ... or stop. Seek out a HIMS AME. You can be certificated either way.
I've looked into Special Issuance. However, according to the FAA's website, if I'm not on one of their four approved antidepressants, I'm not eligible for Special Issuance. I'm also not willing to stop taking Wellbutrin, because I don't know where I'd be without it in my current situation. So I'm 99% certain that until I'm off of it, I can't get a medical certificate.

I've looked into Special Issuance. However, according to the FAA's website, if I'm not on one of their four approved antidepressants, I'm not eligible for Special Issuance. I'm also not willing to stop taking Wellbutrin, because I don't know where I'd be without it in my current situation. So I'm 99% certain that until I'm off of it, I can't get a medical certificate.

Sounds Accurate to me. So imo you options are see if a Light Sport Certificate or glider rating would be adequate for what you want to accomplish, as these do not require a medical certificate. Or consult with a good Hims AME such as Dr Chien at aeromedicaldoc.com for any other possible paths forward, that would not likely shut the door on the option for a light sport certificate.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Sounds Accurate to me. So imo you options are see if a Light Sport Certificate or glider rating would be adequate for what you want to accomplish, as these do not require a medical certificate. Or consult with a good Hims AME such as Dr Chien at aeromedicaldoc.com for any other possible paths forward, that would not likely shut the door on the option for a light sport certificate.
Alright, thank you very much for the help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back