Civil Traffic Violation

G

Do you need to report a civil traffic violation? (no alcohol or drugs involved. No suspension, revocation, or denial of license). Just a simple ticket and the choice to go to traffic school?

If it's purely civil and no alcohol or drugs are involved, there's nothing to report (and even if there was it wouldn't amount to anything). If you are in certain states, all traffic citations end up being criminal, however, 18(w) states only non-traffic ones need to be reported.

If it's purely civil and no alcohol or drugs are involved, there's nothing to report (and even if there was it wouldn't amount to anything). If you are in certain states, all traffic citations end up being criminal, however, 18(w) states only non-traffic ones need to be reported.
If I may ask a follow-up: How far back do they look at things like speeding?

When you say "purely civil", does that include all traffic offenses, procedural suspensions, deferred judgements, etc.?

From reading the Part 61 requirements it is not clear to me exactly what needs to be reported and what does not.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Civil offenses that don't involve drugs/alcohol aren't even asked about. Criminal offenses specifically say "non-traffic" as well. If it is traffic and doesn't involve alcohol/drugs, criminal or civil, it's not a reporting issue. Just be sure that it is such. The FAA does want to hear about those plea bargains (like wet reckless in California).

If it's reportable, it's FOREVER. If it's not reportable, it's NEVER.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Civil offenses that don't involve drugs/alcohol aren't even asked about. Criminal offenses specifically say "non-traffic" as well. If it is traffic and doesn't involve alcohol/drugs, criminal or civil, it's not a reporting issue. Just be sure that it is such. The FAA does want to hear about those plea bargains (like wet reckless in California).

If it's reportable, it's FOREVER. If it's not reportable, it's NEVER.
Bolded is the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

If I may ask a follow-up: How far back do they look at things like speeding?

When you say "purely civil", does that include all traffic offenses, procedural suspensions, deferred judgements, etc.?

From reading the Part 61 requirements it is not clear to me exactly what needs to be reported and what does not.

Since you’re applying for your first medical, see the FAA MedXpress user guide, Appendix A, page b. The guidance starts with Arrest, Conviction, and/or Administrative Action. See the definitions on page e for additional info.

Since you’re applying for your first medical, see the FAA MedXpress user guide, Appendix A, page b. The guidance starts with Arrest, Conviction, and/or Administrative Action. See the definitions on page e for additional info.
Or, assuming you're going for a CONSULT with the AME and not your first Class N medical, ask the AME about it.

Last edited:
Back