Citizen watches?

I bought my citizen watch, used, off eBay two years ago, for about 30 percent retail. I've worn it more or less 24x7 since then. Haven't done anything to the watch other then set the time once and wear it. Time is still within a minute.

When the Apple Watch was received I had more then one techy laugh at me for not having one. Funny thing is, I'm still wearing mine, and they quit wearing their smart watch long ago.
I am less and less liking tech. Smart phone apps that get upgraded weekly. Their OS filled with battery and network burning tasks. Upgrades that force more worthless apps on you. And smart watches were supposed to untie you from the phone but instead put cartoon apps on tiny screens which ultimately only "MONITOR" the phone you would rather just ignore.
Give me a real mechanical watch not tied to a phone. If I still need to carry my phone, I beginning to think I would rather have an old STARTAK flipphone.

Since 2000, I have had 2 watches, both Citizen. First one was an Eco-Drive solar powered one that was $500. It worked flawlessly for 10-11 years until the solar battery died. I could have replaced the solar battery but since the band was pretty worn out and I was tired of it, I gave it to my father (he changed the solar battery and is still using it) and bought a "cheap" Citizen for about $90. It's been about 4-5 years and no issues other than the battery needing to be replaced a few months ago.

I remember seeing a SWA pilot with a Rolex Submariner on his wrist at LAX. He either was doing very well for himself or he just finished a trip from NYC-china town. :rofl:

It's probably real - a typical SWA pilot (even an FO) makes more than enough money to splurge on a Submariner if he chooses to. I just don't understand it. Like others here, I'm more of a $500 kind of guy when it comes to watches. And most of the time it's more like $150. I just want it to look good and last awhile - that's about it. :)

It's probably real - a typical SWA pilot (even an FO) makes more than enough money to splurge on a Submariner if he chooses to. I just don't understand it. Like others here, I'm more of a $500 kind of guy when it comes to watches. And most of the time it's more like $150. I just want it to look good and last awhile - that's about it. :)
I know they do, im just kidding ;). Unless I hit the lotto I won't be spending 8500$ for a Rolex Sub..

I know they do, im just kidding ;). Unless I hit the lotto I won't be spending 8500$ for a Rolex Sub..

Dammit - got to crank up the gain on my sarcasm detector! :) :) And yeah, $8500 is too rich for my blood. I think I'm too cheap to drop that kind of money on a watch, lottery or not.

I remember seeing a SWA pilot with a Rolex Submariner on his wrist at LAX. He either was doing very well for himself or he just finished a trip from NYC-china town. :rofl:
I don't make nearly what an SWA pilot makes but I have multiple rolex watches. I must be a millionaire according to your impression of the brand.

I don't make nearly what an SWA pilot makes but I have multiple rolex watches. I must be a millionaire according to your impression of the brand.

Everyone has their own priorities. I won't spend big on a watch, but I'm moving at the end of the month, and the amount I'll be paying in rent at my new place would make most people on PoA think I'm certifiably insane. Sigh...the things we do for women!

Everyone has their own priorities. I won't spend big on a watch, but I'm moving at the end of the month, and the amount I'll be paying in rent at my new place would make most people on PoA think I'm certifiably insane. Sigh...the things we do for women!
I might end up in one of these places someday. I know it's going to hurt to write that check every month.

You can get a sub for less, but why? They don't really do much, not iconic, and the huge amount of fakes, makes even a real one fake till proven innocent.

I'd get a more business watch, had my eye on a Omega Speedmaster Pro, with hesalite crystal and all, for a while now, 4K or so.

Only thing holding me back is my current Valjoux 7750 powered watch, does just great, plus I'd have to wind the Omega, where as my automatic, well it's automatic ;)

You can get a sub for less, but why? They don't really do much, not iconic;)
I agree about not doing much. Thats why I wear GMT Master II. Its the only pilot watch IMO. But I have to disagree about a sub nit being iconic. Its the most iconic diver IMO. The problem is divers wear computers now and a dive watch isn't really a dive watch anymore. Its a desk watch.

I agree about not doing much. Thats why I wear GMT Master II. Its the only pilot watch IMO. But I have to disagree about a sub nit being iconic. Its the most iconic diver IMO. The problem is divers wear computers now and a dive watch isn't really a dive watch anymore. Its a desk watch.

Well their's iconic because lots of divers wore them, and then there's iconic.

swigert_suited4_launch.jpg

Wait, are you saying the Rolex I bought on the street in Beijing might not be genuine???:eek2:

I've thought about taking it to a shop to get the battery replaced and acting shocked when they tell me it's a fake (it's a really bad knockoff, it was only $8).

@James331 I definitely think the First watch on the moon is cool. If I needed a chrono I would certainly get an Omega. The only complication I actually use is a GMT function so I'm sticking with the GMT master. For me it would be Speedmaster before a Daytona for sure.

Back in '78, my wife bought me a Rolex. I said that was too much money so she took it back and got me a Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch. I gave up and kept it. Still running great with occasional cleaning.

She had a Citizen Eco Drive I bought her in Antigua that has never stopped and is now our granddaughter's watch after 30 years of service.

Cheers

My 12 yo Casio G-Shock from JC Penney is all beat up around the edges. But the crystal is unscratched and the thing sets itself every night.

@James331 I definitely think the First watch on the moon is cool. If I needed a chrono I would certainly get an Omega. The only complication I actually use is a GMT function so I'm sticking with the GMT master. For me it would be Speedmaster before a Daytona for sure.

The problem with the Speedy is that finding a "real" Moonwatch is kinda tricky, and the prices have skyrocketed to the moon (pun intended) in the past few years.
For a GOOD Moonwatch, expect to pay 12-15k and that would be an amazing deal. The later ones are just crap. The bracelet is awful, the winding is annoying, and the movement can't keep time to save it's life.

I'm not a Daytona fan either, it's too small, and no date is a deal breaker for me. I would kill for a nice Paul Newman though :)

I used to be a Rolex-only guy, but lately I've moved more into APs. I think I'll always have a 15202 in my collection.

:)
I used to be a Rolex-only guy, but lately I've moved more into APs. I think I'll always have a 15202 in my collection.

R.O. is one of my goals. The 116710BLNR I bought a few months ago killed my urge to buy more but lately the itch is coming back and might end up with a Genta of some kind.

The problem with the Speedy is that finding a "real" Moonwatch is kinda tricky, and the prices have skyrocketed to the moon (pun intended) in the past few years.
For a GOOD Moonwatch, expect to pay 12-15k and that would be an amazing deal. The later ones are just crap. The bracelet is awful, the winding is annoying, and the movement can't keep time to save it's life.

I'm not a Daytona fan either, it's too small, and no date is a deal breaker for me. I would kill for a nice Paul Newman though :)

I've seen some for 5k ish, also always found the bling bracelets a little tacky, they look more at home on a NATO style strap.

He who wears the biggest watch is the better pilot.......

musk-big-watch.jpg

"Diesel expands its “Daddy” line of watches with the introduction of the Diesel GrandDaddy model DZ7262 proclaimed to be the world’s largest commercially available wristwatch.

With a case measuring 76mm in diameter the Diesel Granddaddy is certainly a whopper and a wrist presence that is sure to grab attention. It features four individual chronograph movements that can also be used for multiple time zone indicators.

This monster watch uses a black ion-plated steel case and priced at $998 and is a limited edition of 1000."

I've seen some for 5k ish, also always found the bling bracelets a little tacky, they look more at home on a NATO style strap.

Real Moonwatches (the ones with cal.321) have been 10+ for a while now if you want a good original one.

Dammit - got to crank up the gain on my sarcasm detector! :) :) And yeah, $8500 is too rich for my blood. I think I'm too cheap to drop that kind of money on a watch, lottery or not.

What lottery? What haven't you told us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back