Citabria nuts, what do you think of this one?

On the face of it, I'd say that looks like a good airplane at a very good price. Certainly worth looking more closely at if you're seriously in the market.

Ken Ibold said:
On the face of it, I'd say that looks like a good airplane at a very good price. Certainly worth looking more closely at if you're seriously in the market.

About half serious, this plane is close enough to Skyhawk to for a look see.

Seriously, I'm planning on starting IR as soon as aerobatic lessons #7 and #8 are in the book. If I bought a plane now, I know I'd have a hard time getting in the Skyhawk and completing my IR, so the prudent thing to do is knock out the IR, then go shopping.

Ken Ibold said:

I just checked on insurance, and even at my hours, the quote was quite palatable. Hmmmmm.......

Bill Jennings said:
I just checked on insurance, and even at my hours, the quote was quite palatable. Hmmmmm.......
And buying an airplane ain't gonna be any cheaper if you wait ... :no:

Bill Jennings said:
About half serious, this plane is close enough to Skyhawk to for a look see.

Seriously, I'm planning on starting IR as soon as aerobatic lessons #7 and #8 are in the book. If I bought a plane now, I know I'd have a hard time getting in the Skyhawk and completing my IR, so the prudent thing to do is knock out the IR, then go shopping.

Just add a radio with a GS head (those old Narcos combo head/radio units are handy for that) and do your instrument training in it. The main thing I noticed is that it is either a very old ad which means it hasn't sold at what appears a reasonable price, or it is being sold out of annual (09/04). Still worth a phone call to check on it, but expect some things to not be kosher, might make the price even better.

Last edited:
Henning said:
Just add a radio with a GS head (those old Narcos combo head/radio units are handy for that) and do your instrument training in it.
That may be doable ... if there is an existing nav antenna cable installed (which there probably isn't, given the vintage of the airplane). To install a nav antenna in a Citabria after the tail has fabric on it is a major problem that involves huge amounts of labor snaking the cable AND, if there's no mounting pad on the tube, welding followed by fabric repair and paint. I abandoned "lite IFR" in my airplane when confronted with the antenna issue, which I could not solve for any reasonable amount of money. Or even some unreasonable amounts.

Ken Ibold said:
I abandoned "lite IFR" in my airplane when confronted with the antenna issue, which I could not solve for any reasonable amount of money. Or even some unreasonable amounts.

Which takes us back to the original premise, own the Citabria for fun and skills building, rent the travel airplane w/good avionics when you need it.

Back