Cisco VPN Software

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I am using Cicso VPN Client software to connect to my work computer from home.

When I do this, it is basically taking over my internet connection and is blocking any other programs from using it on my home computer as long as I am connected.
I can't find a way to configure it to share the connection with other programs. Does anyone know a way?

Thanks

Your IT department has configured it to work that way. With a bunch of trickery after it connects (manually fixing routes) you could probably get around it.

The reason they do that is because they don't want you having connections open to other internet sources while you're connected to the corproate network. In theory that might stop some hacker who has a trojan on your computer.

In practice - it can be bypassed and is mostly just an inconvenience.

Thanks.

I shot him an email about it.
Took me 6 months to get a user ID, so maybe by Christmas he will change it.

I also use Cisco VPN software (Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.8.02.0010) at home to connect to work. My client allows me to select different transports. If I use the default Multi-User TCP connection, other people can also share the internet connection. However, if I select the Single-User UDP connection, then I will block all other users. It might be worth a shot.

I'm using Cisco VPN for my current client as well. They have a proxy server that will allow (some) access to other addresses outside of their network.

Can you modify the transport tab to select the "allow access to local LAN"?

Back