Cirrus, Zion, 4. :(

Sad, but there is an interesting note here WRT to ELTs and claims they never work:

The latest incident happened Tuesday about 3 p.m. A Cirrus SR20 took off from Las Vegas just before 11 a.m. headed to Bryce Canyon, according to Allen Kenitzer, of the Federal Aviation Administration.

After the plane failed to arrive at its destination, the company that owns the aircraft reported it missing, Kenitzer said. The plane is registered to Hunt Aviation LLC out of Las Vegas, according to the FAA registry.

A signal from the plane's emergency transmitter beacon was received by the Air Force Rescue Coordination Rescue Center located in Florida, according to the Kane County Sheriff's Office. The Civil Air Patrol located in St. George was notified just before 6 p.m. and a crew of three flew over the area and confirmed the location of the crash site by about 8 p.m. and took pictures.

All that space and the wreck was located pretty directly.

I heard about this one the other day, and shook my head:

The crash comes just three days after a single-engine Cessna 172 crashed at the St. George Municipal Airport, killing all four on board. The crash was believed to have happened about 1:30 a.m. Saturday about 300 feet from the runway.

The accident wasn't discovered until 6 a.m.

Despite the recent crashes that resulted in eight fatalities, Kieffer said the single-engine aircrafts were safe, as long as safety rules were followed.

"There is an area where a pilot can put more on-board an airplane than it should have, especially here in the high mountains," Kieffer said. "Me personally, I would not fly with four passengers in this altitude with a 172 Cessna."

Most all 406 devices are now internally GPS equipped as well.

Most but not all. It's good to know which you have.

Pretty much nowadays it comes down to this:

121.5 - nobody but airliners will hear you unless you go down near a city. It'll take a while to DF you unless you were in radar contact when you went down.

406 no GPS - the satellites will give a pretty decent location after a bit of triangulation. Not super fast but someone's coming.

406 with GPS - SAR crew will be overhead as fast as they can crank up and fly to the last received coordinates safely.

:)

This was a fully loaded plane on a hot DA day. At 200 hp the SR20 gets its speed by being slick and not through brute force. Up at 10K it can't climb well. The other crash was a fully loaded 172. Hmmm, sounds similar.

This was a fully loaded plane on a hot DA day. At 200 hp the SR20 gets its speed by being slick and not through brute force. Up at 10K it can't climb well. The other crash was a fully loaded 172. Hmmm, sounds similar.

The 172 had an intoxicated pilot at the helm, however the DA issues are similar.

I had not heard any toxicology reports on that accident. Where is your reference?

A news report that said they had been at a party and the pilot took a few shots

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...ne-fateful-night-that-ended-in-a-plane-crash/

Before the guys left the first party, which had 17-20 people including Ross and the four, Ross said that they were “pre-gaming” for the other party. “I know Tanner had a couple shots of alcohol. Jordan was the only one who was not drinking

Back