Cirrus Training for first responders.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I have heard that Cirrus Aircraft have grants or a special trainng program for local fire departments that may have to deal with aircraft accidents involving thier planes. ( BRS chute can appearently be a hazzard to First Responders) Does anyone have any info on this or can you point me in the right direction. Since my home drome has gotten several Cirrus I'd like get some training or funds to do so for our local Fire Company who might respond to the field.

I think there was a discussion on the AOPA forums,. .I'll try to see if I can find it. The BRS Chute rocket may go off when exposed to high heat of a fire, ejecting from the crashed aircraft at a few 1000 feet per second velocity. Try contacting the FSDO?

Last edited:
<FONT face=Arial size=2>
FOR INFORMATION, CONTACT Ken Gilliam, AAS-310 (407) 812.6331 Ext.134, ken.gilliam@faa.gov
DATE: 10/28/2004No. 04-13TO: Airport Operators, FAA Airport Certification Safety InspectorsTOPIC: Rocket-Deployed Emergency Parachute Systems

This CERTALERT is to provide ARFF personnel with the information required to safely deal with the discovery of an unfired rocket-deployed emergency parachute system (sometimes called a ballistic parachute) at the scene of an aircraft accident. While these devices are intended to save lives, they have the potential to cause injuries or even death to rescue workers.

While there are several manufacturers of ballistic parachute systems on the market, the BRS Inc. is a prevalent system found in the industry. In addition to BRS ballistic parachute, there are several other brands called Pioneer, Second Chantz, Advanced Ballistic Systems, Galaxy, or GQ Security.

The BRS whole aircraft recovery system is intended as an option for pilots that have concluded that a safe landing may be difficult if not impossible. However, in certain instances, there may have been no opportunity to deploy the system prior to impact. In those cases where the impact was notably violent, it is quite likely the system will have fired as a result of airframe breakup or distortion. This leaves the final scenario, one in which the parachute system has not been activated due to crash forces, and the system’s rocket is still very much alive and capable of being fired.

A keen eye and training can help the first responder to first identify the presence of a BRS system and then carefully render it completely harmless. We have attached a BRS document that is intended to provide information to emergency personnel, which may be referenced at the scene of an aviation incident. The company has also provided a power point presentation that provides an overview of how best to accomplish these tasks. This power point presentation can be found on the web at

Attachments

• BRS Responders.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • BRS part 2.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Contact Cirrus and request the DVD for first responder training. They'll send it free.

Tim Mike Busch gave What to CAP and ARFF? a grant? Free training?
He gave the training, covering what was on the DVD with some additional Show and Tell.

I've got the DVD as well and we were told we could make copies. I have ripped it to an MP4 also I believe if you want to watch it on your Zune/Ipod.

Thanks Tim I think I want to get the original CD so I can give it to our Fire Company that would respond to our field as were really getting a lot of Cirrus there.

Back