Cirrus SR22 vs Corvalis 400

I compared the performance tables in the POHs. Turbos for both.

ROP, the Cessna is a little faster:

• Cruise at ISA at 12000' at 16.4 gph, the SR22T G5 is 178 TAS, while at 16 gph the Cessna is 184 TAS.
  • Climb from SL to 12000 at best power, the SR22T G5 takes 10.9 min and 6.5 gal, while the Cessna takes 9.3 min and 6.1 gal.

LOP, the performance tables are too skimpy to compare. Which is too bad, because that's how they are actually flown.

They both have 3600# gross.

Lean of Peak performance is very similar. The Cirrus will get off the ground a little faster and the Cessna will out climb and cruise slightly faster than the Cirrus. I always tell people to run the 400 at 67-70% in cruise and where I like to fly (17000' ish) it will true out right at 200 KTAS on 16 GPH give or take a few knots and tenths of a gallon.

Whichever one I can buy aftermarket PMA parts for the engine.

Since a Chinese company bought both Continental Motors and the assets of aftermarket parts manufacturer ECI, I'd say that the PMA continental parts are going to dry up soon.

Pretty sad when a US company or investor isn't at all interested in these. Truly a sign of the times IMHO.

Don't confuse "Not interested in." with "Unwilling to overpay to obtain the technology." I suspect there were plenty of interested suitors in the US, who couldn't justify paying what the Chinese paid for ECI and Continental.

The Chinese have made it a priority to learn the GA business. They have and (perhaps) will continue to overspend to add to their GA portfolio.

Back