Cirrus SR22 GTS X G3 Turbo down 1TA7 Canton Tx, 1 Fatality, 12/26/03

Preliminary will be interesting to see: Speculate medical, stall/spin in pattern below deployment altitude, fuel/mechanical ~ possible?

Apparently an after sunset, in the dark approach to an unlit or woefully under lit runway. Looks like he may have lined up with a small road parallel to the runway. Of course this is speculation at this point. Very sad, rip.

Apparently an after sunset, in the dark approach to an unlit or woefully under lit runway. Looks like he may have lined up with a small road parallel to the runway. Of course this is speculation at this point. Very sad, rip.
That's what it looks like.

RIP chute not much good in approach incidents.

RIP chute not much good in approach incidents.
Still, even if pulled at low altitude at the "OH S***" moment- wouldn't the drag from deployment be helpful?
International airport with a 7k foot runway, ILS and approach lighting/runway alignment lighting from what I'm reading. Not some backwoods airport... weather clear, no wind- I have no clue how that kind of pilot error could occur under those conditions.

Still, even if pulled at low altitude at the "OH S***" moment- wouldn't the drag from deployment be helpful?

International airport with a 7k foot runway, ILS and approach lighting/runway alignment lighting from what I'm reading. Not some backwoods airport... weather clear, no wind- I have no clue how that kind of pilot error could occur under those conditions.
1TA7 is an airpark runway, 2,500 feet long with maybe solar powered lights.

Cirrus recommends pulling if the situation looks unsurvivable. There have been several successful pulls at low altitude, but it is recommended to stay with in the envelope in the POH.

International airport with a 7k foot runway, ILS and approach lighting/runway alignment lighting from what I'm reading.
Where did you read that? The nearest airport with a 7000' runway would be TYR, about 30 miles away.

1TA7 is an airpark runway, 2,500 feet long with maybe solar powered lights.

Cirrus recommends pulling if the situation looks unsurvivable. There have been several successful pulls at low altitude, but it is recommended to stay with in the envelope in the POH.
We may never know, but if this was confusion about the runway, it may not have looked unsurvivable until he was about to hit the house. He was expecting homes around the runway, so heb may not have realized he was in the wrong place until far too late.

We may never know, but if this was confusion about the runway, it may not have looked unsurvivable until he was about to hit the house. He was expecting homes around the runway, so heb may not have realized he was in the wrong place until far too late.
Yeah, putting a 22 into 2,500 feet on a good day with lighting is one thing, but you have to be on your A game, my mins for a 22 is 3,000 feet, which is easy. Trying to do it at night with basically no lighting is begging for trouble. I agree that he probably didn't realize he was in trouble until just before he hit.

i have not been into 1TA7 in a few years, my parents lived there a few years ago. when they lived there ,it did not have runway lights and do not believe that any had been installed since they moved. 1TA7 is about 2 miles north of I20 in the country. other than the lights of the houses there, its very dark out there. the road leading to the airpark is a tree covered lane basically. it is not lit at all. from the picture in the report, he crashed on the north side of the runway, which is all homes with hangars as the south side is all hangar homes. on the north side there is a taxiway/road parallel to the runway, i am assuming he mistook the taxiway/road for the runway. just my view, but landing there at night is a very stupid idea. its dark, unlit and surrounded by trees, and there use to be tv antenna just to the north of the runway that was pretty high, im not sure if its still there though. its been a while since i landed there.

Back