Cirrus SR 2 and Bonanza 36 prices comparision

blueskyMD

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bigfoot297
Just browsing around on TAP I noticed that these 2 airplanes with similar age , TT and engine time , asking prices for BOs are almost 100 K higher than Cirrus. Any particular reason why they are so much more expensive ? After all Cirrus has better speed and comfort and only thing BOs have is six seats which are not meaningful anyway and most people I know do not fill them up.

The big difference is that Cirrus keeps improving the SR22 every year which builds more depreciation into the used market. Many Cirrus owners upgrade every 2-3 years. No bonanza owners do that. Also Textron prices them sky high new and makes an order of magnitude fewer of them because of that.

I fly both for work (a 2016 G36 and 3 SR22s).

The interior on the G36 is nicer than the Cirrus. The overall fit and finish is just better. Better quality. Better installation.

But that’s about it.

I was less than impressed with the performance on the 36. Cirrus is considerably faster on the same fuel burn. The SR22 doesn’t have a lot of baggage space, but neither does the 36 unless you like having your luggage crammed into the cabin with the pax. And Textron support is absolutely abysmal.

Personally, for a piston single, I’d go for a Deb or V-tail Bo.

If I had to choose between a buying a BE36 or an SR22, I’d get the Cirrus.

asking prices for BOs are almost 100 K higher than Cirrus. Any particular reason why

Scarcity of newer Bos?

Other than scarcity I can’t think of a reason for one to be far more expensive than the other in the used market since they have the same engine, similar mission, and similar capacity.

Scarcity of newer Bos?

Same engine, similar mission, similar capacity — other than scarcity I can’t think of a reason for one to be far more expensive.

How about the cost of the parachute repack?

... only thing BOs have is six seats which are not meaningful anyway and most people I know do not fill them up.

The long fuselage Bonanzas don't have the useful load to be true six-place airplanes.

Just browsing around on TAP I noticed that these 2 airplanes with similar age , TT and engine time , asking prices for BOs are almost 100 K higher than Cirrus. Any particular reason why they are so much more expensive ? After all Cirrus has better speed and comfort and only thing BOs have is six seats which are not meaningful anyway and most people I know do not fill them up.

Because they are so worth it ;-)

Are NA SR22s any faster than same model year A36/G36 ?

Why are six sats not 'meaningful' ? (sure, you can't fill them with 6 adults, but payload limitations are near universal in light aircraft)

How about the cost of the parachute repack?

That can’t explain a $100k price difference. The present value of all future repackings is far less than $100k, assuming ~5 repackings over a ~50 year lifetime of the airframe.

That can’t explain a $100k price difference. The present value of all future repackings is far less than $100k, assuming ~5 repackings over a ~50 year lifetime of the airframe.

I was not trying to account for the entire difference; just pointing out one of the possible contributors.

Like remaining engine time to TBO, it would seem to me with each year closer to the next mandatory 10 year re-pack the value of a Cirrus would ratchet down by about 10% of that re-pack cost.

Like Rudy said, they are both higher end piston singles, but Textron produces and sells far fewer Bos than Cirrus does. They have to jack up the cost to pay for production.

I fly both for work (a 2016 G36 and 3 SR22s).

The interior on the G36 is nicer than the Cirrus. The overall fit and finish is just better. Better quality. Better installation.

But that’s about it.

I was less than impressed with the performance on the 36. Cirrus is considerably faster on the same fuel burn. The SR22 doesn’t have a lot of baggage space, but neither does the 36 unless you like having your luggage crammed into the cabin with the pax. And Textron support is absolutely abysmal.

Personally, for a piston single, I’d go for a Deb or V-tail Bo.

If I had to choose between a buying a BE36 or an SR22, I’d get the Cirrus.

Fearless, have you flown a B36tc? I wonder how it would compare.

Back