Cirrus FIKI

GauzeGuy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GauzeGuy
I'm looking at Cirrus transition training to get into a FIKI equipped SR22. While the 172 and 182's work great in most cases, having the FIKI capability would be helpful to increase my dispatch rate. I've run into several cases these last few months where I've had to divert, cancel plans or otherwise make adjustments to avoid going through a fairly thin layer.

One question I have right off the bat, is how careful does one need to be with the TKS system? I've read the reserve of TKS fluid can dry up quickly depending on how much it is needed. I'd like to get some real world feedback on what the aircraft can handle.

If you're flying out west in the "pro icing" levels of the Rockies, I would be pretty cautious with a piston single and TKS.

I've never flown an SR22 FIKI. The big thing is making sure you keep track of the fluid and understand how it's supposed to be used. FIKI is not so you can slog along in ice, it's to get you time to get out of ice. So climbing through a layer or descending through it. In that regard, you should never run out on a flight.

Of course, once you've climbed through that layer you'll still have ice on the unprotected surfaces. Think your wheel pants and legs, for instance. That will add drag significantly. You're also stuck with the climb rate of the SR22.

I like TKS. That said, if I were out west I'd be looking at a RAM T310R or a 340. 58P or Aerostar also, perhaps.

GauzeGuy, you will get many experienced replies if you pose your question at the type club's forum, cirruspilots.org. You can post in the public part of the forum without joining the type club itself, COPA, but you can learn much more by joining and thereby being able to search all it's forums. COPA has a culture centered on safety, so your question will be welcomed there.

I can predict that some responses will mention that despite its name, the FIKI can be overcome by ice and it is best used to just climb or descend through a layer, but you will get much more detail by asking at the COPA forum. Some will say that it should really only be used for un-intended icing, others might say it depends on the forecast conditions, if you have an expert knowledge.

One attraction of the SR22, of course, is that the chute provides an ultimate "out" in icing.

One question I have right off the bat, is how careful does one need to be with the TKS system?
Very careful. TKS is essentially there to get you out of trouble you didn't expect, or get through a little trouble, not to fly through trouble for an extended period or big trouble at all. The POH Supplement for the system even says "*WARNING* Holding in icing conditions for longer than 45 minutes may reduce margins and could result in inadequate handling and control characteristics."

I've read the reserve of TKS fluid can dry up quickly depending on how much it is needed.
That's correct. Depending on selected flow rate (which is driven by the intensity of the icing), you can drain both full tank dry in less than 40 minutes.

I'd like to get some real world feedback on what the aircraft can handle.
The purpose you described in your initial post (climbing/descending through a layer) is one good use. Extended flight through moderate icing is not. Any flight through severe icing or freezing rain/drizzle is not.

Last edited:
The older non-FIKI is for emergencies only. The FIKI system on the SR22 is massively better and works well. However, you need to always check to make sure lines haven't become disconnected. There is a gauge for TKS level but remember there is a finite amount of fluid. Join COPA (cirruspilots.org) and drink from a firehose.

One attraction of the SR22, of course, is that the chute provides an ultimate "out" in icing.
I was going to say that but my statement would have been dripping with sarcasm so I decided not to.

Maybe it's just me but I think the attitude projected by that statement is an example of how the chute makes Cirri more, not less, dangerous.

Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the intent.

Stay safe out there!

Last edited:
However, you need to always check to make sure lines haven't become disconnected.
Per the POH, a preflight check of the TKS system is mandatory before launching into known icing conditions. So is having at least 5 gallons of fluid (out of the 8 total capacity) -- and that could be only 23 minutes of fluid depending on flow rate.

Thanks for your replies.

I figured that it would not be a good idea to hang out in ice for extended periods. Given the number of situations where my exposure would have been a matter of minutes, having any capability would be an improvement.

I'll check out the Cirrus forum also.

I think the bottom line is that it can be a very good thing if used properly, but can kill you if you misuse or abuse it. But that's pretty much true of everything in aviation.

Back