Cirrus Driver opts to NOT become smoking hole - NO chute pop

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N234FA/history/20230215/0200Z/KSDL/KPHX

Last night, during one of the more intense storms to hit the Valley of the Sun, my wife and I both heard the unmistakeable noise of a GA piston engine going overhead.

Looking at FA, we found this SR22 skirting a squall line on it's way from Scottsdale AZ (SDL) to Lake Havasu, AZ (HII). Kinda going about 90 degrees off intended direction to find the end of this storm.

“Change of plan … we’re gonna go back to Goodyear. We’re in moderate to severe turbulence and ice we’re not able to pull off … “

Listening to "the tapes" - he seemed pretty rattled. We have two airports here, so close that their class D airspace almost intersects. Glendale and Goodyear. People here locally mix the two up, and our Cirrus driver seemed to be no exception. He told Albuquerque he intended to go back to Goodyear - but then seemed to indicate Glendale (GYR vs. GEU). The final solution - he landed at Sky Harbor. I understand Cutter has hot coffee.

Congratulations to the Cirrus driver for not becoming a smoking hole, or perhaps parachute-cloth-covered smoking hole. Personally, I think the preflight weather considerations by this pilot may have been sub-par at the very least. I don't believe the NTSB report would have been very complimentary.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 7.48.01 PM.jpeg

Yikes!!! Glad they got on the ground in one piece.

Personally, I think the preflight weather considerations by this pilot may have been sub-par at the very least. I don't believe the NTSB report would have been very complimentary.

View attachment 115000

ummmm.....yeah, really, wow. I guess I'll just say "no comment."

Sounds like a "lessons learned" flight.

I live 4 nm northwest of the aircraft's location here

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.45.jpg

This photo was taken ten minutes after Rusty's screenshot above. This is the hail that was falling on us at that moment.

IMG_7919-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpgIMG_7922.jpg

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.37.jpg

Bizjets on the approach control frequency were reporting severe turbulence, "lightning everywhere" and saying they couldn't hear the radio because of the heavy rain. Not a night to be outside without a helmet, let alone trying to fly SDL-HII at night in a light single.

Last edited:
Wow. Usually the big crap is spewing out of the front of those big echos. Wouldn’t want to be driving a car through that!

Luck was with that pilot,wonder if he did the flight counting on the parachute if need be.

Back