Cirrus Down Near Houston

Not costing $10,000 every 10 years to re-pack the chute.
Apparently it's far less expensive now with the newer models because of the access panels, etc. The $10,000 figure (was it ever even that much) came from the original generation cirrii, allegedly the G5 models are much most efficient when it comes to chute-repacking.

Maybe the forum Cirrus owners/pilots can chime in but IIRC, when you deploy the chute on one, it automatically becomes totalled and the insurance company's plane.

Cannot speak to "totaled" or post-incident ownership, but a handful of Cirrus's suffered little enough damage in a CAPS pull that they were repaired and flew again.

Apparently it's far less expensive now with the newer models because of the access panels, etc. The $10,000 figure (was it ever even that much) came from the original generation cirrii, allegedly the G5 models are much most efficient when it comes to chute-repacking.

I think that's incorrect.

Owners of most Cirrus's are facing high costs since their planes must be retrofitted with the new, electrically detonated version - the old "primer" fired rockets are no longer being made.

Further info here: http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/cirrus_caps_parachute_rocket_repack_cost_208212-1.html

Pretty sure the $10,000 cost is on the low end these days. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.

[...] If so, do have to cut the wings off, or can Cirrus wings be removed and reinstalled?

It looks repairable.

The plane can certainly be re-used. No need to reinstall the wings, though:
398b374854c30179e2638f2f7cf3fd3b.jpg

(Stolen from backcountrypilot.org)

:idea: :yes: :D

I think that's incorrect.

Owners of most Cirrus's are facing high costs since their planes must be retrofitted with the new, electrically detonated version - the old "primer" fired rockets are no longer being made.

Further info here: http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/cirrus_caps_parachute_rocket_repack_cost_208212-1.html

Pretty sure the $10,000 cost is on the low end these days. If anyone knows otherwise, please correct me.
Doesn't that link confirm what I'm saying? For the G1 model, you need to drill holes, use hammers, etc. "an ungentle process that essentially damages the surrounding fiberglass and requires subsequent structure and cosmetic repair." My understanding is that for the new G5 models, which I think came out after that article was written, Cirrus greatly improved the access / mechanism for repacking such that all that rigmarole is no longer necessary. Or, it could just be marketing hype.

For example, according to http://www.steelaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cirrus-history.pdf, "severla new access panels were added to the G2, including an access panel to remove the parachute and rocket when the time comes to repack."

And here's what the AVWeb article states:
"The other prerequisite for a CAPS repack includes the shop's ability to perform a bonding repair to the airframe's composite structure following the CAPS replacement. This is true for first-generation aircraft only. Thanks to a redesigned parachute access panel that was designed in the baggage area bulkhead of second-generation Cirrus models, the finishing work that follows a CAPS replacement on these is greatly simplified—almost making the service event a while-you-wait process. In these aircraft, the parachute is accessed and fished out from a bulkhead in the baggage bay. But for G1 models, cosmetic work is a critical part of the process that often requires a minimum of five days downtime."

Last edited:
All that is correct.

I was at an unveiling for the G2 and much was made about easier chute replacement. Certainly labor costs should be less from the G2 forward.

Can anyone document the actual cost for a G2 repack? I think they're still in excess of $10k, but I might be wrong.

Edited to add: a quick search on COPA did show a G2 repack as requiring a $10k deposit.

Last edited:
Maybe the forum Cirrus owners/pilots can chime in but IIRC, when you deploy the chute on one, it automatically becomes totalled and the insurance company's plane.

From an onwer...In general, yes, they are totaled for insurance purposes. However, many are rebuilt and are perfectly airworthy again. Most are not flown again.

If you've been watching Cirrus safety record, it's now quite remarkable on the good side, even though many are flown in challenging weather. My heart wanted a PA32 Saratoga, but my brain said the extra margin of safety trumped all, thus the SR22.

This is yet another example of a BRS save in a really bad situation, low and in an urban area, just like where I fly.

All that is correct.

I was at an unveiling for the G2 and much was made about easier chute replacement. Certainly labor costs should be less from the G2 forward.

Can anyone document the actual cost for a G2 repack? I think they're still in excess of $10k, but I might be wrong.

Edited to add: a quick search on COPA did show a G2 repack as requiring a $10k deposit.

Just did one - G2 - $15 - 16K. That covers the repack and rocket replacement / restoration, labor and parts.

What has to happen for them to make these things available to more aircraft?
Have a high ranking faa official die in a crash that would be survivable with a chute.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That is correct. We call it the "ownership transfer lever"

I'm pretty sure that some Cirri have returned to flight after a chute deployment.

For example, the famous incident where an aileron departed the airplane, I think in Dallas a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that one was returned to flight.

Cirrus experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Do the C-182's with the BRS chute also have ten year replacement/overhaul requirement?

It's funny. I've been flying over 24 years and never has the FAA done anything directly or indirectly that has negatively impacted either my flying activities or my ability to fly. If anything, I have been mostly disappointed by their snail-like pace in modernizing technology. From these comments, it looks like the FAA has smacked down at least half the pilots on the forum...right?

I'm pretty sure that some Cirri have returned to flight after a chute deployment.

For example, the famous incident where an aileron departed the airplane, I think in Dallas a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that one was returned to flight.

Cirrus experts, correct me if I'm wrong.
I just listend to a podcast that had a Cirrus employee say that after a deployment, most of the damage is done by the salvage operation. If they send in a helicopter and lift the plane out by the chute straps, most are returned to service.

Back