Cirrus crash in Scottsdale this AM

KS Arrow Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KS Arrow Pilot
A Cirrus crashed on short final into KSDL runway 3 at 10 am. half mile from the runway. One killed, and one survived. Listening on Live ATC, the pilot was instructed to go around, likely for traffic, was landing behind a Gulfstream. No response and shortly after another pilot reported seeing "a man on the wing who climbed out of the plane" and it was on fire. N number was "..50P".

Can a Gulfstream create enough wake turbulence to bring down a plane? At some point the survivor ( don't know if it's pilot or passenger ) will give more insight. Very sad.

He might have hit flat. The local news showed a quick aerial view which looked like the entire plane was in one place with no visible debris path.

It was a grim scene.

Paul
N1431A
N83803
2AZ1

Wasn't it mentioned in another thread these things have a propensity for fires? More so than other planes that is?

A Cirrus crashed on short final into KSDL runway 3 at 10 am. half mile from the runway. One killed, and one survived. Listening on Live ATC, the pilot was instructed to go around, likely for traffic, was landing behind a Gulfstream. No response and shortly after another pilot reported seeing "a man on the wing who climbed out of the plane" and it was on fire. N number was "..50P".

Can a Gulfstream create enough wake turbulence to bring down a plane? At some point the survivor ( don't know if it's pilot or passenger ) will give more insight. Very sad.

I would hate to be following a landing Gulfstream in my plane.... I give those suckers a full three minutes before I venture into their previous path. IMHO.

Ben.

Obviously there are more details to be releases, but I'd sure buy the wake turbulence theory, especially if the Cirrus was fast on the approach (like they often are) and that was the reason for the go-around. If he wasn't prepared for it and caught it at the wrong time, he definitely could have lost control.

A 172 almost brought my 182 down once.

Well maybe not almost but 90* bank angle at <100 AGL will wake you up in the AM

A 172 almost brought my 182 down once.

Well maybe not almost but 90* bank angle at <100 AGL will wake you up in the AM

Yup.... Same thing happened to me 30 years ago when I was a few hours into my solo time.... Scared me to death and to this day I respect wake turbulance like it can kill you..... Because it can.:yesnod::yesnod::sad:

Ben.

I also learned that wake turbulance doesn't sink as quickly as we are lead to believe, I was at the same level as the cutlass 100 odd yards back and we were both climbing out from the runway.

I figgured that he was climbing so his wake should have been below him AND wake sinks so it should be even lower. I was wrong!

Just listened to the ATC tape on LiveATC.net......from the sounds of the tape, he apparently lost contol before he was actually given the go-around by Tower. Tower gave him a heads up to be prepared for a possible go-around.....a split second after she actually gave the order to go-around, the guy behind him jumps on to tell her the plane went down.

Not having the Gulfstream in sight early on (he said something about the sun in his eyes), he might have gotten in too close on the base-final turn and consequently got too slow on short final. WT may or may not have been the final straw.

Back