Cirrus Chute Failure - Pilot continues to FTFA

Wow...bet there's an AD, or at least a SB, out of this one.

I'm a little puzzled by the PIC decision to execute a steep spiral in IMC with failing instruments. That seems a bit on the scary side! :hairraise:

Maybe he was already in it when he pulled the chute, then got lucky. lol I'd go with the timed turns with turn/bank/compass and perhaps even climb, depending on tops. I wasn't there though so it's hard for me to judge. Glad he got down in one piece. I've always wondered what could happen if one of those got entangled in the control surfaces, leaving one without a chute and with no control. Glad it ended well for him.

5539074700_7ca17acdb2_z.jpg

See those instruments under the PFD? The round thingamajigs. Yes you are actually supposed to fly the plane with them if the fancy glass panel goes out.

See those instruments under the PFD? The round thingamajigs. Yes you are actually supposed to fly the plane with them if the fancy glass panel goes out.

Ok... Haven't flown one yet but I assume the backups are independent of the panels with one elec. and the other vacuum driven. Still, there is the distinct possibility that the order of events was switched in order to give a more favorable view of the situation. Pilot may have realized he was situationally disoriented and/or had followed a failing AH/panel into a death sprial or even spin, then pulled, it failed, then got lucky when he popped out of the base with enough room to recover. that would explain 'Sweaty' situation. :yesnod:

The lines were connected to the chute. The chute just didn't come out of it's container.

Seeing as the service center is one of the most highly regarded CSC, I think you are being a little extreme.

Time will tell......

I can't wait for a independant investigation on why a (serviced) BRS didn't operate as designed.....:confused:

Ps.... Is this plane still sitting on the ramp in full view for all to see and photograph or does the " most highly regarded CSC" have is locked up in a hangar?:dunno:

Pretty sure they didn't have the Perspective system in 2001.

His HSI failed, which means he Didn't have the Garmin system. I don't think the Avidyne had an HSI either. I think 2001 was a round gauge airplane.

I read his write up on COPA. He seems to be in denial that his Cirrus is in fact not any safer than any other airplane (and statistically significantly more dangerous than my Mooney)

Apparently this is the story.

Dinking around in hard IMC near storms with only xm weather - check
2800 fpm descent until you either fly into terrain or break out - check

Instruments failing, static on radio, known low ceilings, chute does not work. What next? Definitely a good time to initiate a dive bombing run.

I was traveling by car yesterday trying to get to my family up in the Midwest. I am just now starting to catch up on the posts from yesterday. We want to thank you all for your posts, calls and emails of encouragement. You are truly an incredible group of people. I hope this email answers the questions that have been asked up to this posting.

I have XM in the plane it depicted what the flight aware picture shows a large cell off our right wing . It does not show that we were in hard IMC since take off at ADS. We flew into dark clouds and precipitation when we experienced the "P static" and the electrical failures.

I routinely pick up precipitation in clouds that is not depicted on my XW or when I call center with a Pirep they do not show it on their radar either. We were on the back side of a major storm cell. We were in solid IMC shortly after take off. Right before the failure we flew into a dark cloud and rain.

We got the Fluxgate excitation lost message, our Attitude Indicator ( Artificial Horizon) looked like a Picasso and failed, our auto pilot stopped working with no alarm sounding and our radio's were crackling and filled with static.The plane starting bouncing around I saw my situation deteriorating, I was fighting spacial disorientation and I made a decision to pull our chute. I called Center and declared an emergency. I throttled back and nosed up and pulled the handle at 125 or so KTS.

I taught a CDM last year and we discussed pulling at 120 to 125 to insure that you were under the 133 speed limit. Carol told me yesterday that the chute has deployed at 187 KTS. We also discussed the logic of killing your engine prior to knowing your chute has deployed successfully . I am thankful I did not kill the engine and have to deal with an engine restart.

When that did not work, I was dumfounded and in shock. I started praying and crying out to God for guidance. The guy that got me into flying, drilled into me to the acronym " FLTFP" I turned away from the weather using my compass and turn coordinator .I was scared that I might become disoriented fly into the giant cell off our right wing.

We flew for a while on a westerly heading. I had asked for Pireps earlier and did not know the tops. I knew Addison had 1200 foot overcast ceilings when I left. I was nauseous and sweating profusely and my heart was pumping in my chest. According to Fflight aware I flew for a while maintaining altitude and heading ( it seemed like seconds not minutes). I have had fantastic emergency training and I am proficient with IFR and practice for emergencies often. I used my altimeter and VSI and turn coordinator for reference

I was in fear of my life. Contrary to some of your popular belief I am not superman nor a super pilot . I was fighting vertigo and was having a hard time keeping it together. I felt if I went up I might stall and crash. I decided to nose it over and head for the 1200 feet of daylight below. I knew I would not stall going down and I would be out of the clouds sooner by making a rapid descent. No I did not have to change my undies as many of you have inquired.

The last time this happened , a few years was in IFR and in rain I was taking off with terrain on my left and tops at 5000 feet above. On that occasion I was taking off with 400 foot ceiling in rain so going back with FUBAR instruments was not an option. I chose to climb on top. I used my altimeter, VSI , Turn coordinator and compass .When on top my electrical items started working again I flew to my destination that was VFR . I put my plane in a Cirrus Service Center in and told them of the problems. My HSI was sent to Sandel and repaired. I learned yesterday that my recurring problem was caused by "P Static". I am going to have all my static dissapators (SP) checked . I had the plane in an avionics shop a few weeks ago for the Flux gate excitation message that had gone off in VFR. The shop informed me that there was a pin not pushed in. We now believe that it is static issue and we are seeking counsel from many of you on the best shop to fix the Pstatic issue that I now know is a problem on G1 Cirrus.

I called center on a crackling radio and said I was nosing it over and heading down. According to flight aware I did not exceed 166 KTS and it took 2 minutes with over 2800 feet per minute descent rate. It appears on flight aware that we held our heading OK. We came out at 800 AGL. We heard a faint crackled call from center. We asked for vectors to the nearest airport. We got a relay from a SW pilot with instructions to change to different frequency.

We fly that route twice a week. Scud running to Addison seemed smarter at the time than landing at Denton a little bit closer. We noticed our electrical system working after we left the clouds. We did not trust our electrical system so we chose to stay under the 800 foot ceiling base and fly back to Addison. The plane was flying ok but did not feel right. DFW approach asked us if we could intercept the ILS for 15 at some way point? This would have meant climbing up into the clouds. We politely declined reminding him of our situation and said we would stay under the clouds and fly a visual for 15.

When we were 4 out from Addison we asked tower if they could see anything sticking out of the top of our plane. They said they did dot see anything. The controller suggested I make a low pass and she would look at my plane for me. I politely ( OK maybe sarcasm, I don't recall but, would love to hear the recording if one of you knows how to get it) declined her offer and elected to land. Flying into Addison from the North has buildings right up to the airport. I now started thinking what if the rocket is like a dud firecracker that has a delayed reaction? I flew in high past the buildings and according to a person on the ground, greased the landing. Tower reported that I was dragging something behind the plane.

Tower asked if we needed any emergency services that had rolled out. We declined and taxied back to our Cirrus Service Center that had done our repack in 2012.

We look forward to finding out why our chute failed to deploy. Cirrus and the FAA spent all day yesterday working on it. We promised the FAA that we would not comment on their findings publicly until they gave us the green light. The FAA has been very helpful and taken all of my calls. NTSB did not invite me to the meeting yesterday. I have no problem with that. I am not an engineer nor am I a rocket scientist. I have heard that I could have shown up and pushed the issue. I was already in the car driving to see my family. The FAA promised not let anyone near my plane until they were there and they video taped the entire process. They promised to let me see the tapes and info etc. We took tons of pictures and video before the FAA got there so everything is well documented.

Dale and Pat at Cirrus have been fantastic through this entire process. They are handling this in an honorable manner . I look forward to flying in a Cirrus again soon.

I got back with my family last night. After we all shed a few tears they asked if I would ever fly a Cirrus again? I said why wouldn't I? My 19 year old son said because the chute failed . I asked him If he was in a car crash in our Mercedes (and not injured ) and by some fluke his airbag did not deploy would he stop driving? He said no. I then asked him from a safety standpoint after his air bags in theory did not deploy would you rather drive a car designed with safety features from the 1950's and 60's or a car certified in 2001 with air bags even though there is a slight chance the air bags might not work?

My Cirrus certified in 2001 is still a much safer airplane than any of the competitors that were certified in the 1950's and 1960's. We all need to practice emergency procedures and stay current. I am a Boy Scout Master and the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared" . The wonderful training I got from Carol Jenson, the Critical Decision Making (CDM) seminar I took at Migration and me preparing for and teaching the CDM last fall as well as flying a Cirrus all prepared me for last Thursdays positive outcome.

I can say without reservation that I will continue to choose to fly a Cirrus (after the issues are resolved). Man made things fail like HSI's, Auto Pilots, Radio's, Parachutes, air bags etc.

Last Sunday I flew a soldier who was blown up in a road side bomb in Iraq from KS to Texas for a follow up operation for his burns. His wife (a first time flyer) teased me for praying out loud before the flight. She said it is sort of unnerving to hear the pilot praying before a flight. He had flown with me before and he told his wife "he always does that ". We loaned him a car for a month while he was recuperating in San Antonio. He called yesterday to tell me about a minor issue with the car. He thanked me for praying for him and his wife. He said Jessica commented that she felt a peace flying with me after the prayer. He asked me if I was back in Kansas. I told him I was driving there now in our Dallas car. He asked why I was driving and not flying and we told him about the incident and he started crying and thanking God.

As usual I prayed out loud by myself prior to take off on Thursday's flight. Before I go to the power on my console I thank God, the ultimate higher power for his promise of having angels encamped around us.

My faith is not in man or in things made by man. When I experienced all of the "things of this earth" (growing strangely dim) that failed me on Thursday, I turned to God and he saved me, he has never failed me. I am truly thankful to him be alive.

Last edited:

/sarcasm ON

OMG!! :hairraise: :yikes: :hairraise: :yikes: :hairraise: Is that even POSSIBLE??!! :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

/sarcasm OFF

So. I'm reading a lot of second and third guessing about the process. Now that we have a synopsis of what the pilot was in, and you all are arm chair experts, I would like to know please what The Greatest GA Pilot In The Known World would have done.

Be specific(I would have pulled the chute cause I think it met the conditions that Cirrus says to pull the chute).

I was traveling by car yesterday trying to get to my family up in the Midwest. I am just now starting to catch up on the posts from yesterday. We want to thank you all for your posts, calls and emails of encouragement. You are truly an incredible group of people. I hope this email answers the questions that have been asked up to this posting.

I have XM in the plane it depicted what the flight aware picture shows a large cell off our right wing . It does not show that we were in hard IMC since take off at ADS. We flew into dark clouds and precipitation when we experienced the "P static" and the electrical failures....
... Holey **** balls, I don't even know where to start on that one, dude should not be flying in anything resembling IMC, also if someone way praying before he took my family up, I'd do a 180 and walk.

As for the XM thing, NASA just wrote a call back article on folks relying on that too much
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/publications/callback/cb_400.html

So it appeared that his autopilot and DG crumped and he panicked. Faced with reality that the chute wasn't going to save him he got ahold of himself and managed to fly pp to visual conditions. The only real disturbing thing about this (other than the chute failure) is it seems that he had the autopilot failure before and hadn't he made to visual conditions on top he's have been in a similar panic.

Sounds like he needs to learn how to fly confidently without the A/P on.

So. I'm reading a lot of second and third guessing about the process. Now that we have a synopsis of what the pilot was in, and you all are arm chair experts, I would like to know please what The Greatest GA Pilot In The Known World would have done.

Be specific(I would have pulled the chute cause I think it met the conditions that Cirrus says to pull the chute).

This is what a normal pilot would do. I'm afraid the IMC dive bomb is reserved for the greatest pilot in the world.

If radios working well enough (he was having com issues w static) declare emergency and get a no-gyro radar approach at a nearby airport.

If radios not working well - fly at a safe altitude until over an airport that is not surrounded by terrain. If possible get weather from the garmin or AWOS to make sure the airport is not completely socked in. Then descend slowly in a spiral as directly over the airport as possible.

This is what a normal pilot would do. I'm afraid the IMC dive bomb is reserved for the greatest pilot in the world.

If radios working well enough (he was having com issues w static) declare emergency and get a no-gyro radar approach at a nearby airport.

If radios not working well - fly at a safe altitude until over an airport that is not surrounded by terrain. If possible get weather from the garmin or AWOS to make sure the airport is not completely socked in. Then descend slowly in a spiral as directly over the airport as possible.

So, the pilot sounds like he could not rely on his radios in IMC, but they cleared up later.

Which leaves him in IMC, with no way to navigate(AFAIK). How does one find an airport in IMC with no navigation source?

I suppose if he didn't get a relay from an airliner, and could trust his comm he could request vectors to a suitable field for the spiral approach method, but from what I read, his comm wasn't good enough in IMC to trust.

No/very limited comm, no nav radios(unless I missed it), in the clag. Find an airport?

Apparently this is the story.

Dinking around in hard IMC near storms with only xm weather - check
2800 fpm descent until you either fly into terrain or break out - check

Instruments failing, static on radio, known low ceilings, chute does not work. What next? Definitely a good time to initiate a dive bombing run.

Is that from COPA?

Ok.. To all the Cirrus owners /pilots out there.....

Just to get me up to speed on the entire BRS routine...

The chute, rocket and launch tube lives in the rear area under the hatch that is missing.... Correct :dunno:

You pull the BRS handle and several things happen..... First the rocket fires, which I assume is the red thing on the end of the cable that is laying on the ground:dunno:

That action shoots the rocket through the hatch, knocking it off the plane and the rocket continues to shoot straight up pulling the chute out of the launch tube.:dunno:

Once the parachute blossoms, that force pulls the harness, which in embedded in the fuselage skin and rips the sides of the fuselage up but acts like a cradle and that action keeps the plane fairly level as it floats back to earth:dunno:

Am I thinking this through correctly?

So, the pilot sounds like he could not rely on his radios in IMC, but they cleared up later.

Which leaves him in IMC, with no way to navigate(AFAIK). How does one find an airport in IMC with no navigation source?

I suppose if he didn't get a relay from an airliner, and could trust his comm he could request vectors to a suitable field for the spiral approach method, but from what I read, his comm wasn't good enough in IMC to trust.

No/very limited comm, no nav radios(unless I missed it), in the clag. Find an airport?

He had XM in the plane. With a 6 pack i'm guessing that means a garmin handheld.

Even if he had zero means of navigating perhaps he could have just kept it level for awhile until flying out of the rain. Or began a normal descent. I can tell you one thing - a 3000 fpm descent is a screamer and I would much rather pop out of the clouds at 800 feet going down 500fpm.

He had XM in the plane. With a 6 pack i'm guessing that means a garmin handheld.

Even if he had zero means of navigating perhaps he could have just kept it level for awhile until flying out of the rain. Or began a normal descent. I can tell you one thing - a 3000 fpm descent is a screamer and I would much rather pop out of the clouds at 800 feet going down 500fpm.

OK. That works better. I still woulda pulled the chute, even with a handheld in the plane. He should not have pulled the chute, he should have navigated via the handheld to a flat field with no terrain, then spiral down over that to VMC.

OK. That works better. I still woulda pulled the chute, even with a handheld in the plane. He should not have pulled the chute, he should have navigated via the handheld to a flat field with no terrain, then spiral down over that to VMC.

I have nothing against pulling the chute or the cirrus in general. I don't think it was a bad idea for him at all. Its what happened after the chute failed...

I just read the other 2 threads.

If you have XM and know its delayed, and you know which direction it's going, why cannot it be used to avoid a T-Storm (by using the 20 mile rule)?

Not sure if he was instrumented rated, but if he was:

*He should have demonstrated to the DPE that he can fly a partial panel*

*He should have demonstrated he has situational awareness

*His aircraft should be equipped with a clock
*His aircraft should be equipped with a airspeed indicator

*1 Wings level
2 reduce power and or pitch for VA
3 if radios work, no gyro vectors to a PAR ASR approach if possible, otherwise lower to a airport, utilize MFD for terrian and position if operating, if no coms 7600 and see #4
4 figure current position on PAPER chart, plot course to lowland/ large body of water, prefb with a nearby airport, start timer and maintain calculated speed
4 start decent based on position and time, not to exceed 500-1000fpm or a rate 1 turn, wouldn't advise a partial panel spiral

5 Land at airport of possible, advise ATC/EMS Fire as required

If someone actually looks at the flight aware track for this flight, you will see the weather appears to be far from his flight path. Looking at Nexrad over the time of the flight, the cell he was actually in never appeared. There was a good post on COPA regarding the reason for this.

Long story short, timing delay aside, XM and Nexrad can still miss a lot and one should be very very wary near any area with convection.

If you have XM and know its delayed, and you know which direction it's going, why cannot it be used to avoid a T-Storm (by using the 20 mile rule)?

If you are in an area where convection is likely to form, ya stay out of IMC unless you have onboard radar and/or stormscope.

Not all storms don't start small on the radar and then build. They build up, then DUMP. So you can see nothing on the nexrad (storm not producing rain yet) but you have a building cell that should be avoided.

Last edited:
Back