Cirrus Chute Failure - Pilot continues to FTFA

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Wow...bet there's an AD, or at least a SB, out of this one.

I'm a little puzzled by the PIC decision to execute a steep spiral in IMC with failing instruments. That seems a bit on the scary side! :hairraise:

Wow...bet there's an AD, or at least a SB, out of this one.

I'm a little puzzled by the PIC decision to execute a steep spiral in IMC with failing instruments. That seems a bit on the scary side! :hairraise:

I agree, that seems like a better way to create an emergency than to solve one!:yikes: Especially with suspected instrument problems! :dunno: All my steep spirals have been done in VFR conditions.:yes:

I agree, that seems like a better way to create an emergency than to solve one!:yikes: Especially with suspected instrument problems! :dunno: All my steep spirals have been done in VFR conditions.:yes:

He must not be comfortable partial panel. Time for more training.

Any comments on his decision to launch? What about RTB via scud running vice get down now?

And this is what gives Cirrus pilots a bad name.

I understand why he declared an emergency, but why pull the chute simply because you loose your AHRS and HSI? He still had his standbys.
Then when the chute didn't work he make a 3000ft/min dive in IMC?? why?

This scenario is all sorts of jacked up....The fact the chute didn't work is just the punchline.

We shouldn't second-guess, since we weren't there.

The point here is why the heck didn't CAPS work as it should have done?

He must not be comfortable partial panel. Time for more training.

:yeahthat: One of the most valuable things I have learned from the times when things went sideways is to never give up. Fly partial panel in a controlled descent. If you lose that then it may be time to consider the chute. the fact that he went right to the chute may indicate a lack of confidence in his training, or a lack of realistic emergency procedures training altogether. But that is just my impression from the cheap seats. :dunno:

I don't consider 800 feet scud running in east Texas. We would look at the farm from 200 - 500. The worst problem with 800 feet in texas summer is the heat.

I don't consider 800 feet scud running in east Texas. We would look at the farm from 200 - 500. The worst problem with 800 feet in texas summer is the heat.

Given that he could not have known that it's VFR at 800ft he could have easily continued descending...

Interesting to see that he didn't actually need it. I have heard that the CSIPS are pushing this.."Pull the chute" attitude for pretty much anything. I don't know that for sure but I heard that from a fella who just got his check out.

It's no secret that Cirrus has been dismayed that the fatal accident rate for their fleet has not been far better than non-chuted competitors, and has actively spoken out about a "when in doubt whip it out" mentality. It's safe to assume that the survivors of all the fatals that might have been prevented by an early pull now share that philosophy.

Interesting to see that he didn't actually need it. I have heard that the CSIPS are pushing this.."Pull the chute" attitude for pretty much anything. I don't know that for sure but I heard that from a fella who just got his check out.

Vendetta much?

Not a chance. Nothing but hard hitting FACTS. No vendetta, no self promotion....

"starting with installations built for the Cessna 150 and 152 (for which ANN's Jim Campbell was one of the test pilots through a number of deployments)."

"BRS (the company primarily responsible for pioneering this technology -- despite Cirrus's attempts to suggest otherwise)"

"Buzz among the Cirrus community has been extensive and a number of folks seeking more information from ANN"

My guess is that this is Zoom's plane, finally repossessed and resold. Jim couldn't have possibly expected them to resell it so quickly when he disconnected the chute wires.

Who knows if his motive was revenge on Cirrus, or just hoping that the chute would be needed and he'd be able to quickly post the "exclusive" that he typed up 3 months ago.

---
Of course all of the above is satire. For reals.

And this is what gives Cirrus pilots a bad name.

I understand why he declared an emergency, but why pull the chute simply because you loose your AHRS and HSI? He still had his standbys.
Then when the chute didn't work he make a 3000ft/min dive in IMC?? why?

Kinda what I was thinking. What was the point of diving? :dunno:

My guess is that this is Zoom's plane, finally repossessed and resold. Jim couldn't have possibly expected them to resell it so quickly when he disconnected the chute wires.

Who knows if his motive was revenge on Cirrus, or just hoping that the chute would be needed and he'd be able to quickly post the "exclusive" that he typed up 3 months ago.

---
Of course all of the above is satire. For reals.

Maybe I read the story wrong... But..... the rocket motor fired and discharged the chute lines and harness.... Apparently who ever repacked the chute forgot to actually fasten the parachute to the lines themselves..:eek::hairraise:......

It also said the guy taxied up to the Cirrus service center and looking at the pic, the lines were clearly dragging behind the plane and draped over the horizontal stabilizer.....

You can bet the service center QUICKLY put the plane in a hangar and shut the doors..... Unfortunately someone got a pic before they could hide it from the public's eyes and cameras...

Rememberit is the press, descent=highspeed death dive.

Normally I'd agree (and I hope that your correct), however they do specify "2800 fpm." They had to get that number out of somewhere.

Aircraft with a chute have a 100% higher chance of chute failure than those without...

Normally, I'm on the same level with you, but here, you're wrong. this isn't "the press". This is a nutjob with a very public ax to grind with cirrus. To the point that I wouldn't exactly believe this incident even happened if not for the pictures and even then, I'm skeptical. My guess is he's been turning over every rock he can find looking for SOMETHING he can use to get some low blows in on Cirrus. Please don't insult the integrity of "the press" by lumping ANN in with them. Failing to file a flight plan is probably more relevant information than anything written about this incident on ANN.

Normally, I'm on the same level with you, but here, you're wrong. this isn't "the press". This is a nutjob with a very public ax to grind with cirrus. To the point that I wouldn't exactly believe this incident even happened if not for the pictures and even then, I'm skeptical. My guess is he's been turning over every rock he can find looking for SOMETHING he can use to get some low blows in on Cirrus. Please don't insult the integrity of "the press" by lumping ANN in with them. Failing to file a flight plan is probably more relevant information than anything written about this incident on ANN.

I'm not familiar, who is this guy and what's he got against Cirrus?

Can you put it in a sentence please (if you already know what's going on)?
I don't want to sound lazy, how 42 pages is kinda a lot.

One sentence is tough.

Aside from his various past antics (getting thrown out of Sun and Fun to name one) and suing people any time he felt like it. He's been holding a Cirrus SR22 hostage due to a deal that went bad, it's been in court for a little while with middle fingers raised and F-bombs dropped. The 42 pages (and growing) are a documentation of the saga. To summarize the 42 pages, nobody on this board is rushing to his defense.

Another woefully undertrained, undercompetent Cirrus pilot with bad judgment. Why are there so many of them?

"Sweaty and nauseated" flying partial panel on the Turn coordinated? Give me a break.

Flying with a cell just off your right wing? Who the F are you kiddin?

Thank you Dan for making me work HARD today partial panel. But there was never any nausea nor........oh geez.......fly the airplane!

Maybe I read the story wrong... But..... the rocket motor fired and discharged the chute lines and harness.... Apparently who ever repacked the chute forgot to actually fasten the parachute to the lines themselves..:eek::hairraise:......

It also said the guy taxied up to the Cirrus service center and looking at the pic, the lines were clearly dragging behind the plane and draped over the horizontal stabilizer.....

You can bet the service center QUICKLY put the plane in a hangar and shut the doors..... Unfortunately someone got a pic before they could hide it from the public's eyes and cameras...

The lines were connected to the chute. The chute just didn't come out of it's container.

Seeing as the service center is one of the most highly regarded CSC, I think you are being a little extreme.

Can you put it in a sentence please (if you already know what's going on)?
I don't want to sound lazy, how 42 pages is kinda a lot.
He wasn't happy that Cirrus tried to repossess his airplane just because he wasn't making payments on it.

One sentence is tough.

Aside from his various past antics (getting thrown out of Sun and Fun to name one) and suing people any time he felt like it. He's been holding a Cirrus SR22 hostage due to a deal that went bad, it's been in court for a little while with middle fingers raised and F-bombs dropped. The 42 pages (and growing) are a documentation of the saga. To summarize the 42 pages, nobody on this board is rushing to his defense.
He wasn't happy that Cirrus tried to repossess his airplane just because he wasn't making payments on it.

Thanks.

In that case it really is odd that of all the people the chute did not open for him.

:yeahthat: One of the most valuable things I have learned from the times when things went sideways is to never give up.

This is so, so important. You just gotta think survive, survive, survive, and keep trying to do absolutely everything in your power.

Back