Cirrus ads

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
Is it just me or is the Cirrus ad in all the magazines saying "Personal plane, Public statement" just wrong on so many levels?

Who buys a plane or learns to fly to "make a statement"?

And if someone did, should we really be _encouraging_ that??

Maybe that's why it is the current "dr. killer"

The only reason I became a pilot was to "make a statement"

That is a bank statment , make it bigger some day.

Maybe that's why it is the current "dr. killer"

THIS! I've always felt that the Cirrus marketing team had more to do with the planes safety record than anyone on the engineering side of the house. Just because it has a parachute doesn't mean it is safe for everyone who can write the check! The effort to equate an airplane to a luxury car doesn't respect the training and knowledge required to safely operate a high performance airplane, and many of the new buyers don't have the experience to know what the sales guy isn't telling them.

same as it's always been. Look at beech or Cessna ads from the 50's and 60's. I'll bet everyone who posted above has flown a Cessna with "land-o-matic" landing gear.

Pilots think they are cool because they fly planes.
Manufacturers want to sell airplanes.
Manufacturers use ads that say you will look even more cool in their airplane.

Last edited:

I can understand _implying_ that, but to come right out and say it almost borders on.... "Cheesy"

The only reason I became a pilot was to "make a statement"

That is a bank statment , make it bigger some day.

You sure you didn't mean make your bank statement smaller and your credit card statement bigger? ;)

Just had the thought that this statement is interchangeable with cigarette ads.

Is it just me or is the Cirrus ad in all the magazines saying "Personal plane, Public statement" just wrong on so many levels?

The type of people that Cirrus is targeting are exactly the kind of people who buy cars/planes/boats to make a statement. The ads aren't targeted at middle-class guys, they're targeted at six-figure salary + stock option guys. It's not wrong, but just about any aircraft maker out there that sells for $250K+ new isn't marketing to someone like myself.

Smart planes. Dumb pilots.
Apologies to any actual smart cirrus pilots on the forum

There are two groups of people who within 10 minutes of meeting them will tell you what they are, vegetarians and pilots. They are appealing to that stereotype.

There are two groups of people who within 10 minutes of meeting them will tell you what they are, vegetarians and pilots. They are appealing to that stereotype.

I know some of the Vegan Nazi types.
I want to tell them to STFU pretty quickly in any conversation.

So true coming from someone who lives in the land of veg heads. At least with a pilot I won't just turn around and walk off!

The type of people that Cirrus is targeting are exactly the kind of people who buy cars/planes/boats to make a statement. The ads aren't targeted at middle-class guys, they're targeted at six-figure salary + stock option guys. It's not wrong, but just about any aircraft maker out there that sells for $250K+ new isn't marketing to someone like myself.

I know what you're talking about, but just because you make six figures + stock options doesn't mean you buy planes to "make a statement". There are "normal folks" in that category as well.

It's an ad. It's not targeted at you. Marketing thinks it will bring qualified prospects in the door, and is willing to risk annoying people who won't buy one anyway.

Personally, I feel the better route is to run ads convincing people looking for an excuse to write the check that the purchase (or lease) actually pencils out. But maybe it's too hard to come up with honest math to make that work, especially for a dentist.

Not just Cirrus.

I thought this Cessna ad sent a horrible message:

14207827053_5f6248b161_c.jpg

Yep, that ad was designed by marketers / manufacturers not pilots.

I know what you're talking about, but just because you make six figures + stock options doesn't mean you buy planes to "make a statement". There are "normal folks" in that category as well.

Oh, I don't disagree in the slightest. My comment wasn't meant as a slight to those who are wealthy. It was a statement about the fact that Cirrus isn't selling a cheap aircraft, they are selling a $700K+ aircraft to a person who can afford that. The marketing is synonymous to that of a Rolex/Breitling watch. You aren't selling them because they tell time, you're selling them to someone who likes the statement it makes.

Those "normal guys" may buy things to make a statement as well, they just don't usually cost $700K. :lol:

Did you buy a Cirrus? Are you even able to buy one?

That's really the point. Class envy is no way to go through life.

Another silly Cirrus bashing thread.

Did you buy a Cirrus? Are you even able to buy one?

That's really the point. Class envy is no way to go through life.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. I don't have "class envy".

If I were going to drop $700k on an aircraft, I would probably want something more capable than a Cirrus, although it would be used.

Do you guys ever look at Car and Driver or Boating magazines?? :dunno:
The idea of advertising is to make consumers "aspire" to own the latest and greatest, whether it's an airplane, a boat or the newest Cadillac on the market. It almost always makes more sense, or CENT$, to buy used, cars, boats, airplanes, anything that depreciates.;)
These ads are no different than the ones that boats makers use showing perfect weather and a relaxing day on the lake with the perfect family.:D
The real cheesy ones are from the 50's to the late 70's! I always liked the one showing 4 people in a 150!!!:D

You sure you didn't mean make your bank statement smaller and your credit card statement bigger? ;)

You got me. I did cash flow my flight training but I do have a smaller bank statement due to the job situation. So no credit card statement.

Is that holding out? :popcorn:

I know some of the Vegan Nazi types.
I want to tell them to STFU pretty quickly in any conversation.

Girl told me she was vegetarian before we went out to dinner on a first date. I ordered the lamb shank to test the waters and see what I was getting myself into and if she was gonna try to rub some of that veggie ideology off on me. I didn't call her for a second date...

The shank was excellent by the way.

Last edited:
Yes, in view of the not so old 'attack' of certain 'high' politicians on GA even the fact that you own/operate an aircraft like this amounts to a 'statement'. I actually like this ad because it takes a swipe at political correctness.

Last edited:

Im vegetarian and a pilot.....could be trouble:yikes:

FWIW...Im vegetarian for the health benefits, not for any ideology. I was nearly 370lbs before I turned veggie, now 250.

THIS! I've always felt that the Cirrus marketing team had more to do with the planes safety record than anyone on the engineering side of the house. Just because it has a parachute doesn't mean it is safe for everyone who can write the check! The effort to equate an airplane to a luxury car doesn't respect the training and knowledge required to safely operate a high performance airplane, and many of the new buyers don't have the experience to know what the sales guy isn't telling them.

:confused: So,:dunno: this is America, the responsibility is to maximize profit, not safety. Cirrus markets their aircraft exactly how our culture deems appropriate which also happens to be the same way every manufacturer has marketed their product. Look at any airplane advertising that is different, heck, look at the old Ercoupe ads, you'd think it was safer than bed.

:confused: So,:dunno: this is America, the responsibility is to maximize profit, not safety. Cirrus markets their aircraft exactly how our culture deems appropriate which also happens to be the same way every manufacturer has marketed their product. Look at any airplane advertising that is different, heck, look at the old Ercoupe ads, you'd think it was safer than bed.

Depends on whose bed :yes:

Yes, in view of the not so old 'attack' of certain 'high' politicians on GA even the fact that you own/operate an aircraft like this amounts to a 'statement'. I actually like this ad because it takes a swipe at political correctness.

Most corp jets are statement makers. Larry Ellison took flying lessons, but he has a fleet of Lears and Gulfs. And he takes clients up in them to impress.

Who fly's acrobatic planes at airshows? That's right, guys showing off...

:confused: So,:dunno: this is America, the responsibility is to maximize profit, not safety.

Where did I say they couldn't market this way or it isn't in their interest? Obviously the ads help them maximize profit, that is their goal. My point is the marketing efforts have more to do with the Cirrus safety record than anything in the aircraft's design.

Obviously they will market their product based on the interest of their owners and investors. If the investors want to maximize profit then you run ads that will sell planes without regard to other factors. That doesn't mean you can't observe a relation between the marketing campaign and the safety record.

:confused: So,:dunno: this is America, the responsibility is to maximize profit, not safety.
America or somewhere else - yeah, there is no such thing in the world as 'maximizing' safety. Maximizing safety would mean that there would be no flying at all, there would be no driving either or at the least the 'performance' driving.

America or somewhere else - yeah, there is no such thing in the world as 'maximizing' safety. Maximizing safety would mean that there would be no flying at all, there would be no driving either or at the least the 'performance' driving.

There is a balance that can be achieved.

Back