Cirrus actual speeds

Tom-Flying

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
Hi.

I'm in the position of possibly joining a partnership of five on an SR22t. I'd be replacing my 182 so my wife's view is it would be good to have a parachute! A reasonable view since she would be vulnerable if I became incapacitated.

I'm interested in speed information. Can anyone provide real world speeds for 65% and 75% power settings. I've also heard some renters comment that they used 85%. Is that bad for the engine over time? I usually log about 125 hrs/yr.

Any insights would be appreciated!

My understanding is the turbo is comparable or even might be a little slower than the normally aspirated NA below 10k, above 10k, they are faster. I fly an NA 22, which trues out around 175 at 75% best power 19gph, and about 165 65% power on about 13GPH lean of peak. Personally I'd probably opt for the NA unless I was regularly flying over 10k feet. I rent.

You can also put a BRS in your 182 (if it's '64 or newer).

1) At 125 hours a year, you might want to reconsider the 5 man partnership. You might not have the availability you need.

2) In the SR22T, you often go over 75%, and your TITs are not a problem. At 16000 with TKS (robs about 8-10 knots) on the wing to escape some ice, @Tantalum and I saw about 188 knots true, burning about 17.5-18. I was pretty impressed, though my understanding is the one he flies is definitely one of the faster ones out there.

3) Honestly, I wouldn't bother flying for economy with that thing. Just fly it high and don't be afraid of oxygen.

My understanding is the turbo is comparable or even might be a little slower than the normally aspirated NA below 10k, above 10k, they are faster. I fly an NA 22, which trues out around 175 at 75% best power 19gph, and about 165 65% power on about 13GPH lean of peak. Personally I'd probably opt for the NA unless I was regularly flying over 10k feet. I rent.
Thanks!

1) At 125 hours a year, you might want to reconsider the 5 man partnership. You might not have the availability you need.

2) In the SR22T, you often go over 75%, and your TITs are not a problem. At 16000 with TKS (robs about 8-10 knots) on the wing to escape some ice, @Tantalum and I saw about 188 knots true, burning about 17.5-18. I was pretty impressed, though my understanding is the one he flies is definitely one of the faster ones out there.

3) Honestly, I wouldn't bother flying for economy with that thing. Just fly it high and don't be afraid of oxygen.

That's impressive. I am a little concerned about the 5-way. I'd be replacing a partner that is losing his medical so I do have the flight history of the other owners. If 170kts is a reasonable expectation I'm leaning towards a yes...

That's impressive. I am a little concerned about the 5-way. I'd be replacing a partner that is losing his medical so I do have the flight history of the other owners. If 170kts is a reasonable expectation I'm leaning towards a yes...

170 knots is absolutely a reasonable expectation - even at non-oxygen altitudes. As for the 5-way split, I don't mean it from the perspective of people treating the plane poorly. I'm simply talking from a scheduling perspective.

possibly joining a partnership of five
Before dropping the big wad of cash on the buy-in, make sure you read all the operating documents, do a run through of the group's financials, and review the various aircraft logbooks. You don't want to be entering this opportunity just to find out it's full of landmines and IEDs.

Things you are looking for, in no particular order
  1. What SOP's exist for typical operation of the aircraft? Are the items permitted and prohibited in line with what you need the aircraft for?
  2. Are you allowed to train for future ratings in this aircraft?
  3. What items does your monthly dues cover? Insurance? Data card subscriptions?
  4. Do you need to have your own insurance?
  5. If someone else causes a loss to the group or others, how are you protected?
  6. If the group wants to add expensive new equipment, how do they fund this? Assessment? Debt? Wait until enough cash is saved up?
  7. If and when you decide to leave, is their method okay with you?
  8. How crowded is scheduling? How far in advance can you schedule? How do they handle popular dates such as weekends, holidays, big fly-ins like OSH and SnF?
  9. Can you take the aircraft out of country, such as Bahamas or Canada?
  10. How is aircraft inspections and maintenance managed?
  11. Are all of the required AV1ATE items good to go? How about AD's?
  12. Any big scary, expensive maintenance happen recently? Any about to raise its ugly head?
  13. When the parachute repack is needing to be done, how is that big cost handled?
  14. How healthy are the cash reserves? Any debt? If yes to debt, are they current?
There are likely others, but this and the lists you can find on AOPA should help you ask all the right questions.

170 knots is absolutely a reasonable expectation - even at non-oxygen altitudes. As for the 5-way split, I don't mean it from the perspective of people treating the plane poorly. I'm simply talking from a scheduling perspective.
I was answering it from a scheduling perspective. Two of the other owners really only fly with each other mostly on prescheduled trips they do each year.

Before dropping the big wad of cash on the buy-in, make sure you read all the operating documents, do a run through of the group's financials, and review the various aircraft logbooks. You don't want to be entering this opportunity just to find out it's full of landmines and IEDs.

Things you are looking for, in no particular order
  1. What SOP's exist for typical operation of the aircraft? Are the items permitted and prohibited in line with what you need the aircraft for?
  2. Are you allowed to train for future ratings in this aircraft?
  3. What items does your monthly dues cover? Insurance? Data card subscriptions?
  4. Do you need to have your own insurance?
  5. If someone else causes a loss to the group or others, how are you protected?
  6. If the group wants to add expensive new equipment, how do they fund this? Assessment? Debt? Wait until enough cash is saved up?
  7. If and when you decide to leave, is their method okay with you?
  8. How crowded is scheduling? How far in advance can you schedule? How do they handle popular dates such as weekends, holidays, big fly-ins like OSH and SnF?
  9. Can you take the aircraft out of country, such as Bahamas or Canada?
  10. How is aircraft inspections and maintenance managed?
  11. Are all of the required AV1ATE items good to go? How about AD's?
  12. Any big scary, expensive maintenance happen recently? Any about to raise its ugly head?
  13. When the parachute repack is needing to be done, how is that big cost handled?
  14. How healthy are the cash reserves? Any debt? If yes to debt, are they current?
There are likely others, but this and the lists you can find on AOPA should help you ask all the right questions.

Great info... Thanks!!!

I'm not going to be jumping. Once I feel there is some reasonable potential I'll start getting serious and your list is a good start. I have a couple friends who are also in partnerships and will have them go over questions and legal docs (one's a lawyer).

Back