Cincinnati Sectional WARNING

poadeleted20

Deleted
WARNING!

If you’re a subscriber to the Cincinnati sectional, you probably received this morning an overnight delivery via FedEx of a new “blue dot” version of the 78th edition with an effective date of Aug 2 (same as the original 78th edition you got about three weeks ago). Included is a yellow sheet explaining why you’re receiving it – on Aug 30, the Washington ADIZ will shrink substantially and no longer extend onto the Cincinnati sectional. The yellow sheet goes on to say you should destroy the current non-blue-dot version “immediately.” DON’T DO IT! The ADIZ still extends out west of Dulles over Upperville until August 30. Keep using the original 78th edition until then, and ONLY then should you switch to the blue dot version. If you have any questions about the status of the Washington ADIZ, check the current FDC NOTAM.

WARNING!

If you’re a subscriber to the Cincinnati sectional, you probably received this morning an overnight delivery via FedEx of a new “blue dot” version of the 78th edition with an effective date of Aug 2 (same as the original 78th edition you got about three weeks ago). Included is a yellow sheet explaining why you’re receiving it – on Aug 30, the Washington ADIZ will shrink substantially and no longer extend onto the Cincinnati sectional. The yellow sheet goes on to say you should destroy the current non-blue-dot version “immediately.” DON’T DO IT! The ADIZ still extends out west of Dulles over Upperville until August 30. Keep using the original 78th edition until then, and ONLY then should you switch to the blue dot version. If you have any questions about the status of the Washington ADIZ, check the current FDC NOTAM.

Where would this sectional "subscription" be done? NOAA? Do they do that these days?

Those of us who pick up current sectionals at the local FBO get what? :dunno:

Last edited:
yes you can subscribe through NOAA it seems to be the only way to dependably get charts anymore. local FBOs get naile for not selling all of their stock so a lot have just stopped selling altogether in order to not lose money.

yes you can subscribe through NOAA it seems to be the only way to dependably get charts anymore. local FBOs get naile for not selling all of their stock so a lot have just stopped selling altogether in order to not lose money.
I've encountered a lot of places that have stopped selling approach plates and the like because they said people are just buying from Sportys and getting deliveries the next day. That's fine, but when you're on a VFR flight and suddenly find that you're going to need IFR charts to continue, that's a real problem!

There are many shops from which you can order subscriptions, including direct from NACO (not NOAA anymore). NACO ships them without a shipping fee, which most other stores seem to add to AF/Ds and terminal procedures. See http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/ecom to order.

Yet another reason I'm spoiled at Wisconsin Aviation...

They keep a full stock of every sectional in the country (with an emphasis on Chicago and Green Bay, of course), all the approach plate books (both book and looseleaf formats), A/FD's, high and low IFR enroute charts, WAC's, IFR Area Charts, and the IFR, uh, is it called "change notices" or something? The mid-series update books.

I also know they don't take a hit on 'em. They cut the covers off and send them back to get a refund from whoever their supplier is once the books/charts go out of date. So, FBO's shouldn't have an excuse for that particular problem. It's probably more an issue of having money tied up in whatever they stock.

Bottom line: MSN is a good place to divert if you need to go from VFR to IFR. ;)

I also know they don't take a hit on 'em. They cut the covers off and send them back to get a refund from whoever their supplier is once the books/charts go out of date. So, FBO's shouldn't have an excuse for that particular problem. It's probably more an issue of having money tied up in whatever they stock.

Returning old charts for credit is SOP. I think FBOs get them from the NACO directly.

Last edited:
ok i realized tonight that the FBOs do get a refund from NACO on unsold charts, so retract my previous comments.

Ron, your warning is well taken. :yes:

I subscribe through mypilotstore.com. Always on time, no shipping charges, price cheaper than list price (i.e sectionals $7.25, IFR Low $3.25). I don't know how they do it but I'm happy. :)

Ron, your warning is well taken. :yes:

I subscribe through mypilotstore.com. Always on time, no shipping charges, price cheaper than list price (i.e sectionals $7.25, IFR Low $3.25). I don't know how they do it but I'm happy. :)
Gil, how fast is shipping and how soon do you get them before the effective date?

Back