Cincinnati, OH

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
The husband just informed me last night that he has an extra job working a chess tournament next weekend in Cincinnati, OH (KLUK). What the heck... I'll go with him... the money he'll get will pay for the AV gas and the hotel is paid for. :D The thing is... is there anything I shouldn't miss while I'm there?? I've never been to that part of Ohio. I thought I might take a side trip to Sporty's (I69) on Saturday (it's been awhile since I've been there!) and buy stuff I may or may not need... I know they have a hot dog BBQ every Saturday at lunchtime... but looking for any ideas for trouble I might get in on. I'll have a car if it's within the city limits. :idea:

The husband just informed me last night that he has an extra job working a chess tournament next weekend in Cincinnati, OH (KLUK). What the heck... I'll go with him... the money he'll get will pay for the AV gas and the hotel is paid for. :D The thing is... is there anything I shouldn't miss while I'm there?? I've never been to that part of Ohio. I thought I might take a side trip to Sporty's (I69) on Saturday (it's been awhile since I've been there!) and buy stuff I may or may not need... I know they have a hot dog BBQ every Saturday at lunchtime... but looking for any ideas for trouble I might get in on. I'll have a car if it's within the city limits. :idea:

We live under the pattern for KLUK. You're in the city limits there.

Not sure what part of town you'll be in, or what you're looking to do.

The restaurant on the field has good food.

There is also an AMAZING burger place 5 minutes from KLUK called Terry's Turf Club. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/3632...-Mount-Washington/Terrys-Turf-Club-Cincinnati

The Cincinnati Art Museum is in a nice area and free admission. (15 minutes from KLUK)

Graeters Ice Cream and Skyline Chili have locations all over town and are institutions here. I highly recommend both.

Nothing really to see between LUK and I69 on the ground, so I hope you're flying there. If driving, expect about 30 minutes or so through the burbs.

Cincy....

Unless he's going to be right at Lunken, you'll find better "value" and cheaper avgas at another airport nearby. Blue Ash (KISZ) is not far and it typically a better deal than Sunken Lunken. Other options are further from town. Unless I need the ILS, I usually choose another airport.

Sporty's is worth the visit if you've never been. The museum at the old train station often has interesting exhibits (and the art-deco building is worth a look). For art, try the Cincinnati Art Museum & the Taft Art Museum - nearby to the Cincy Art Museum is the Krohn Plant Conservatory & Eden Park. Netherland Hotel is a fabulous old art-deco building. There's also the Newport Aquarium. And the Cincy Zoo.

Food: for on-the-water dining try the Boathouse (Montogmery Inn Boathouse). There are a couple of restaurants on the hills overlooking the city (can't remember the names offhand, one is on Mount Adams, the other is on a hill on the west side) Nice view if the weather is good. Zip's burgers is an institution. Likewise the chili places (Skyline, Gold Star, Camp Washington, etc). Graeters Ice Cream is still local.

Enjoy.

Cincy....

Unless he's going to be right at Lunken, you'll find better "value" and cheaper avgas at another airport nearby. Blue Ash (KISZ) is not far and it typically a better deal than Sunken Lunken. Other options are further from town. Unless I need the ILS, I usually choose another airport.

:yeahthat:

The recommendation for KISZ is only good for a few more months. It's likely to close in August. :mad2:

Check out Blue Ash Aviation at KISZ. Super friendly people, good fuel prices, and either hangars or tie-downs for transients.

http://www.proscan.com/fw/main/Home-1084.html

Well, apparently this tournament is a fairly large scholastic tournament with something like 500 kids playing over the 2 days. There are going to be chess "celebrities" there whose names even I recognize! LOL. The tournament is going to be held at the stadium where the Bengals play... Paul Brown. The hotel we'll be at is the Hyatt Regency... I'll have to Google that location... it does sound like it's downtown though.

There used to be a 70's or 80's TV show called "WKRP in Cincinatti".

That's the extent of my knowledge, can't hep you there.

There used to be a 70's or 80's TV show called "WKRP in Cincinnati".

So if someone asks you to help out in a promotion - specifically, dropping live turkeys over a shopping mall - politely decline. :)
"As G_d is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly ..."

Montgomery Inn is good BBQ. You will pay, though. It's worth it.

After dropping him off, just fly to I69.

USAF Museum is about an hour's drive north.

Food: for on-the-water dining try the Boathouse (Montogmery Inn Boathouse).

+1. The Montgomery Inn Boathouse is great. I ate there a few weeks ago when I was in Cincy (LUK) for dispatch training. Awesome food and their specials are reasonably priced. The brisket dinner special was awesome and only $14. The BBQ sauce they serve is excellent.

The recommendation for KISZ is only good for a few more months. It's likely to close in August. :mad2:

Check out Blue Ash Aviation at KISZ. Super friendly people, good fuel prices, and either hangars or tie-downs for transients.

Will check that airport out! It looks like it's only 10 miles or so north of Lunken and still an easy flight to Sporty's. Fuel prices do look much better too. And hopefully no ILS needed :no:... come on y'all this is supposed to be a FUN weekend!

Ill look for ya if you come to blue ash aviation.

And hopefully I don't need to look too closely at your plane!

Depending on where you are headed our location relative the interstates can get you places easier than LUK.

http://www.proscan.com/fw/main/Home-1084.html

Well, apparently this tournament is a fairly large scholastic tournament with something like 500 kids playing over the 2 days. There are going to be chess "celebrities" there whose names even I recognize! LOL. The tournament is going to be held at the stadium where the Bengals play... Paul Brown. The hotel we'll be at is the Hyatt Regency... I'll have to Google that location... it does sound like it's downtown though.

For the Hyatt Regency Blue Ash is about as good as Lunken. Hyatt Regency is downtown. From Blue Ash, either go east or west on Pfeiffer Road & get on I-71 or I-75 south to downtown.

Great folks at ISZ, too.

Ill look for ya if you come to blue ash aviation.

And hopefully I don't need to look too closely at your plane!

Depending on where you are headed our location relative the interstates can get you places easier than LUK.

No one ever has too much trouble picking out my airplane from all the others. LOL. Does Blue Ash have rental car availability?? There was no mention of that on their website.

Yes, we can give you some numbers, Hertz is recommended. Give Tom a call, he's working the counter right now 513 984-5880

Yes, we can give you some numbers, Hertz is recommended. Give Tom a call, he's working the counter right now 513 984-5880

Reservations made... thank you so much! If you are not busy Friday night and want to have dinner at the Montgomery Inn, we would be happy to meet you and buy you dinner! :D

Ill join you for dinner with out any hesitation.

I will ask to pay my own way however...

Oh, friendly advice worth what you have paid for it.

For the sake of your propeller, avoid as much of the east-west taxiway as possible by cutting through the tie down area, lead removal is going on for the park that will replace the airport and the trucks are tracking gravel onto a portion of the taxi way. Not much gravel so if you do head down that way not too big of a deal however.

Of greater importance is staying off the grass, it can be quite soft.

I just ate at the lunken airport last week was very good.
+1 for montgomery inn boathouse
+1 for blue ash instead of luk.
+1 for the airforce museum in dayton, fly up to i19 about 10 min north and get a car from mac air.

You know, I might just bag the flight to Sporty's (I've been there before twice) and do some of the things suggested around the city on Saturday while Christopher is working. I like the hotel already... I looked up the Hyatt Regency website and there was a photo of the street directly outside and I saw... MACY'S! :D LOL.

You know, I might just bag the flight to Sporty's (I've been there before twice) and do some of the things suggested around the city on Saturday while Christopher is working. I like the hotel already... I looked up the Hyatt Regency website and there was a photo of the street directly outside and I saw... MACY'S! :D LOL.

There may still be a skywalk between the hotel and Macy's. At least there used to be.

Oh, there's also a Tiffany across the street from the hotel. :yesnod:

There may still be a skywalk between the hotel and Macy's. At least there used to be.

Oh, there's also a Tiffany across the street from the hotel. :yesnod:

BILL!! It took us until post #20 to get to the really important information??!!! :yikes:

Haven't been there in years. Froze my butt off on a business trip to Star Bank. (They still around?) Cussed loudly at Token Ring network. CTO of the bank at the time was a super nice guy with two great adopted kids from China. They helped me troubleshoot and test all day on a Saturday. ;)

Marks bagels just around the corner from the Blue Ash airport. Best bagels in the midwest, hands down. The old train station with it's museums is pretty neat as well. Keep me in the loop, maybe I'll fly down and meet you.

Marks bagels just around the corner from the Blue Ash airport. Best bagels in the midwest, hands down. The old train station with it's museums is pretty neat as well. Keep me in the loop, maybe I'll fly down and meet you.

Well, definitely let's try to get together on Saturday! I have all day while Christopher is working. I can come and get you from whichever AP you decide to use! :D

It is a dive, but the Blue Ash Chili Parlor has the best chili in the multiverse (and big honking sandwiches, too).

Back