Cincinnati Area

bfmetcalf

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bfmetcalf
Anybody from the Cincinnati area around? I had a couple of questions.

I live on the north side near tri-county mall so KHAO is quite close to my house. I haven't flown in about 6 years (family/life got in the way) but am going to get back into it.

I am wondering if anybody has anything good info about instructors and plane rentals in the area preferably at KHAO or I67.

Have a medical scheduled for early January so I can get back going. My 5 year old daughter has recently gotten really interested and excited about flying so it was a great excuse for me to get moving again.

I guess the last thing would be I would love to get involved at one of the airports a little as I always loved the friendships I got at my past airports, so if anybody from the area knows of any little get togethers (I know Covid throws a wrench in a lot of this) that go on in the area, I would be interested in hearing about them.

Hope everybody is doing great!

I’m in the Cleveland area, so too far away to have good information for you. If you’re on Facebook, join the Ohio Pilots group. There are a bunch of people in that area that could give you good recommendations.

I’m in the Cleveland area, so too far away to have good information for you. If you’re on Facebook, join the Ohio Pilots group. There are a bunch of people in that area that could give you good recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Ohio Pilots group. I am a member of that group, for some reason I just never think to go to facebook for questions haha. I guess I started with forums early and tend to gravitate that way.

I’m based at I19 near Xenia. I recommend MacAir Flight school. A fleet of Cherokee/Archer plus others. It’s a descendant of the Wright-Patterson AFB Aero Club where I learned to fly. A good sprinkling of retired USAF Pilots CFI’s as well as younger ones working to build time. Home base for EAA 382 that does a lot of Young Eagle Rallies in the Summer.

Also Dayton Air Service at Moraine Air Park, I73, is a smaller flight school at a somewhat quirky airport. They have a fun bunch of Ultralight pilots and owners based there as well. One of the only places with an LSA Tecnam as part of the training fleet. Home base for EAA 48.

Finally, Red Stewart airfield near Waynesville for grass field ops with Champs and Cubs. Got my tail wheel endorsement there.

Cheers

I’m based at I19 near Xenia. I recommend MacAir Flight school. A fleet of Cherokee/Archer plus others. It’s a descendant of the Wright-Patterson AFB Aero Club where I learned to fly. A good sprinkling of retired USAF Pilots CFI’s as well as younger ones working to build time. Home base for EAA 382 that does a lot of Young Eagle Rallies in the Summer.

Also Dayton Air Service at Moraine Air Park, I73, is a smaller flight school at a somewhat quirky airport. They have a fun bunch of Ultralight pilots and owners based there as well. One of the only places with an LSA Tecnam as part of the training fleet. Home base for EAA 48.

Finally, Red Stewart airfield near Waynesville for grass field ops with Champs and Cubs. Got my tail wheel endorsement there.

Cheers

Awesome info! I will probably pursue my taildragger endorsement at some point as it's always been a thing I've wanted to do, that is great. I love short soft field stuff too. Back in Wisconsin I used to fly into a lot of friends grass strips and rarely used the pavement at the main airport.

A simple web search would have told you there are two flight schools at HAO - Blue Skies and Hogan. Whitewater is at I67.

A simple web search would have told you there are two flight schools at HAO - Blue Skies and Hogan. Whitewater is at I67.

Of course it would. I also stopped into KHAO and got a card for a CFI there. I guess I should have said opinions instead of info...

Of course it would. I also stopped into KHAO and got a card for a CFI there. I guess I should have said opinions instead of info...

The problem is people who trained at either will generally tell you they are great because they have no reference as what is really good and people in the business do not know the comings and goings of the management or the staff to offer a current evaluation.

I68 isn't too far, either and is a nice airport. A lot of folks from ISZ went there when the city closed it. HAO has an ILS if one does IFR. I moved away ~20 years ago, but had a hangar at HAO. I67 was a little more hemmed in than HAO or I68.

Not sure how things are these days, but all three were good choice when I lived there.

The problem is people who trained at either will generally tell you they are great because they have no reference as what is really good and people in the business do not know the comings and goings of the management or the staff to offer a current evaluation.

Thanks for the reply, though I quite disagree that I couldn't gather something from anybody that has trained with these places. Even at 17 I could have told plenty about my instructor/rental plane that I was using. She was a great instructor, adapted well to my learning style, but I wish she would have worked a lot more on the radios since that is a week point for me (in her defence the nearest towered airport was like 60 miles away...) The airplane was simple, basic and not the prettiest, but very well maintained and nothing in-op on it. This was something I told a friend after a year with my PPL at 18 with no other experience at other rental/CFI's, I had friends with airplanes and 2 that were CFIs so didn't need to go to one, and I can still remember today.

In my opinion, just going on google and never talking to other actual people is one of the issues these days, especially since most people like to review based on their issues and you don't get the good sides as easily. Not to mention it removes the community aspect and keeps us in our own world without new inputs, proved by the fact I knew Red Stewart was there (have driven past it on my way fishing at Caesars Creek) but never crossed my mind to check out what training opportunities are there, so I got something from outside of anything I would have googled (or that blinders may have impeded) and improved my knowledge base.

Hope I didn't come off as argumentative, I know typed words can be read with many voices other than what was intended. I truly am just trying to have a friendly discussion, not an argument :)

I68 isn't too far, either and is a nice airport. A lot of folks from ISZ went there when the city closed it. HAO has an ILS if one does IFR. I moved away ~20 years ago, but had a hangar at HAO. I67 was a little more hemmed in than HAO or I68.

Not sure how things are these days, but all three were good choice when I lived there.

Awesome. Thanks for the Info. I drove by I67 and it did seem pretty packed in there, kind of amazing that they have the housing development dang near right up to the runway! Can't wait to start adding to my 180 hours again. It has been tough seeing the planes in the sky and sitting on the ground so long.

First Flight Aviation at KMGY is a great school. A little further than your two mentioned options, but I did all of my primary training there and had a wonderful experience. A fleet of 152s, 172s and 172RGs. Lots of very experienced instructors from military, corporate and airline backgrounds.

Hello bfmetcalf and PoA,
Have you been in or flown in the area much?
My first post- i might be able to contribute. Not a pilot, but there a lot of options all within about 40+ mins. I have been doing a little self guided "tour" of area flight schools in an effort to make an informed decision as to where to spend my money for a PPL and eventually instrument. I live in North Cincy area, i'm 40 years old with a fam including 2 young kids. I have recently renewed my childhood interest in flying. I have now completed intro flights or packages at I19, MWO, I69, LUK, I67.
My experiences varied greatly, instructors, planes and schools varied greatly
I69 (Sporty's) is very active and a nice facility to pop in, get a free hot dog on Saturday, playgrounds for kids, viewing from inside, etc. Pricing is mid-Hi but planes are well kept and there are cheaper options (172 lite) and 10% discount on Sundays. It is considered by some to be a pilot mill. LFTC at LUK is decent but pricey and of course there is the tower. I67 is tiny but planes are nice with updated avionics for good price but i had a hell of a time scheduling with them. Supposedly they will have 3 172s online by the spring so that might help. I19 would be a no brainer for me if it were closer. Just like X3 Skier said- large fleet of Warriors ( a single 152), large staff of instructors, many with AF experience. I've been by Red Stewart but haven't flown there yet. I hear they are booked solid and tough to get in (they don't' fly over 10 kts). MWO ( MRFTI) runs a regular Groupon and is a good opportunity to check them out. A little sketchy IMO, simple things like cleaning and keeping batteries seemed to be difficult. Accordingly, price is cheap and probably most available of any i tried.
Good luck and feel free to ask if want any other scoop. I'm not the most talkative and of course current situation makes live convo even more difficult, but i did manage to get a couple of my instructors talking, which is always interesting! Very interested to hear about your plans for flying, kids. My son is also 5.
Side note i am very interested in potential partnerships in the area!
Not on FB if anyone has any other ideas for area communication LMK.
Thanks

Hello bfmetcalf and PoA,
Have you been in or flown in the area much?
My first post- i might be able to contribute. Not a pilot, but there a lot of options all within about 40+ mins. I have been doing a little self guided "tour" of area flight schools in an effort to make an informed decision as to where to spend my money for a PPL and eventually instrument. I live in North Cincy area, i'm 40 years old with a fam including 2 young kids. I have recently renewed my childhood interest in flying. I have now completed intro flights or packages at I19, MWO, I69, LUK, I67.
My experiences varied greatly, instructors, planes and schools varied greatly
I69 (Sporty's) is very active and a nice facility to pop in, get a free hot dog on Saturday, playgrounds for kids, viewing from inside, etc. Pricing is mid-Hi but planes are well kept and there are cheaper options (172 lite) and 10% discount on Sundays. It is considered by some to be a pilot mill. LFTC at LUK is decent but pricey and of course there is the tower. I67 is tiny but planes are nice with updated avionics for good price but i had a hell of a time scheduling with them. Supposedly they will have 3 172s online by the spring so that might help. I19 would be a no brainer for me if it were closer. Just like X3 Skier said- large fleet of Warriors ( a single 152), large staff of instructors, many with AF experience. I've been by Red Stewart but haven't flown there yet. I hear they are booked solid and tough to get in (they don't' fly over 10 kts). MWO ( MRFTI) runs a regular Groupon and is a good opportunity to check them out. A little sketchy IMO, simple things like cleaning and keeping batteries seemed to be difficult. Accordingly, price is cheap and probably most available of any i tried.
Good luck and feel free to ask if want any other scoop. I'm not the most talkative and of course current situation makes live convo even more difficult, but i did manage to get a couple of my instructors talking, which is always interesting! Very interested to hear about your plans for flying, kids. My son is also 5.
Side note i am very interested in potential partnerships in the area!
Not on FB if anyone has any other ideas for area communication LMK.
Thanks

Awesome info, thanks for the write-up. I think I've decided to try Hogan flying service. I've always wanted my tail when endorsement and they have a cub, 150 and 172, so a plane to fit most needs. I'm hoping to be in the market for a plane in the next few years hopefully, probably a Maule or Stinson 108 or similar. Once I get moving a little on currency we should try to fly together.

I’m at the bottom of the state, but have been in and out of Lunken and I69. Great people at both. Tower at LUK is always helpful and nice. Sportys is a little pricey, kinda seemed to be focused on career students but it might have been the instructor. Red Stewart is on my list for a tailwheel endorsement.

Awesome info, thanks for the write-up. I think I've decided to try Hogan flying service. I've always wanted my tail when endorsement and they have a cub, 150 and 172, so a plane to fit most needs. I'm hoping to be in the market for a plane in the next few years hopefully, probably a Maule or Stinson 108 or similar. Once I get moving a little on currency we should try to fly together.
Absolutely. I'm anxious to meet new people in aviation especially when things open up.

Well i got antsy and officially began my training at I69. Already having concerns about not finding the right instructor...i'm probably being a little picky. I don't know why but Butler Co. didn't really come up on my radar. It is only 28 min. drive for me. I might have to check Hogan out. Also a Blue Sky ? came up on the web... looks like they have some decent 172s..decent pricing.

I was based at I67 for 3 years after leaving Pennsylvania and before we moved to Kansas. Will Berninger who runs the airport, flight school, and repair station is a great guy to deal with. I never took flight instruction there (when we moved in we already had the 310) but I would certainly recommend him and Whitewater Aviation to anyone in the area.

Try I69, Clermont County, home of Sporty’s and the Saturday hotdog grill out.

I'm trying to desperately to get to solo... so close. I was up at HAO practicing landings with my instructor on Saturday afternoon. We followed a Cub around the pattern a couple times. Occurred to me that maybe you made it out to Hogan?

I've been up there for practice a couple times, even tried out Blue Skies one afternoon. Ended up staying put for a few reasons, but i do have an app into Victory Aviation to join the waiting list. Their prices would be a huge help for me to finish PPL, maybe go for instrument, maybe good option for Xc rental in the future.

I'm trying to desperately to get to solo... so close. I was up at HAO practicing landings with my instructor on Saturday afternoon. We followed a Cub around the pattern a couple times. Occurred to me that maybe you made it out to Hogan?

I've been up there for practice a couple times, even tried out Blue Skies one afternoon. Ended up staying put for a few reasons, but i do have an app into Victory Aviation to join the waiting list. Their prices would be a huge help for me to finish PPL, maybe go for instrument, maybe good option for Xc rental in the future.

I did indeed make it up to Hogan. I really like the feel of it up there and it's close to home. They do have 2 cubs a 152, 172 and are getting ready to have a Debonair flying (doing some new avionics apparently). Prices are good and I really liked the instructor I went up with, Billie Bie. Shaking the rust off went really well with them.

And to brag a little bit. My daughter had a really fun first flight (if you ignore the queasy tummy late in the flight)
QyUMMsxBtnPx8Nzr0UboFMsdC22vlIgq11ExBvmyoT1nYZdGtFcYXZm0YwhJDngRdHyGxT0CM-SMAlPMAB-fqkD951DUKARK5xUlWjJL0ZA74bjA15WnQLcNY67laVKik6Ja3XUJiVsfl5C5dnqjrtmO2spjoJ5gNpk8DcaI00Z9T3lKQRpixH9a5BwgpwsBkxGel-LeXn6xiYD07E5OmVQvyE4-JSd4W-NCt-hYTS4fUyNsHcDNavIvnEu8b14Obf515BUCYCzmLzsvOjjhSyo22_boasVs6WkNJ-vAEXrHn5P24kQU_FlQnYIjLy0nyeKa017zNgjhHGGTSGmteGJ5ZTZfBdQPb55XT-f9kKxQp511N8zk8O-Xkkd7nNB9dFegvCFlM-1moLzY__C-LJPWicSDg1deughqwWxYH0nrurXgJb_3zKrI1rhvmTyFge_Kx6vCqJh8Iask3jha1Y3a-_C2RDh0rsaT4U8HBsj85OVVrlSqSYNC27Sy7_KK39rpwaa-QiIpaGPUJtOL1KMn3YisR_GDNtlRc88XJTofGJQsMSH35RrV6L2z54tQ5sABCy1gki9WfgMJCzvcFTnZ3-0rurGAbnR2jl3W16RGOc7J3H1VxEgJ8nmlyIvkTGFd7jK0Zrp2z1AwYQmcUA34_RiX5YfC9Nd5BHr68Qj3l8uEZX7qhwPZKA5X2NM=w660-h880-no

Rmg7t-HUlly8_EzW9VlUgftF5alT10mCJG7R-bh34ujCF3VENbR94RByQUEpIz8l0A6zyqeskeL_auokm4mEWev18m6EHew7Ekubg45aKzqFWHAetKIV4sDZcdveUBUqinddMe2m0kwxuKSC44_yfoh7Ra56GIDHqpqywcRUlNIUrgD4pfdUSDl_9j_We9wDKIx6idSy4vK3skgCdf1Mha66Hi3k7HF0x8s3gYbGT-aPz-58pDGl-5G7kbygpUx3TUPbXE2zT_kAEMYa3Yi7QT5lXaMo6782SwoYhXIkuABIhZ5vL_LEzaU2HGZqlhO4ndXytVdegzwCEOtz15SuBmwE1zXgoHICvH42dpYe1ixmPIr9Vmuj8FBPonN33QRJTv0FerfyeMd_IWiZxhhmYkMVSADiOXro8pACkhfEogMLRGS5URJuEaV2fKdeNcYPnRiE5PPrbyljAXPf1ey5si4X6ww-lJr9Q0Ye6NSoGzFA7FaM8IXQnEkIlZ4jv_QJlsjIiZduLBGfGCKbvvTmp4XcWB54b6kRPTpAlWmZ0D612Q_NoHqVOXcSVv0Nc3doMoKBet41wyNlEyB5Qt6ZTPmeH1u0wcuKQpoQVJUsVOpqlH-dWJ0jn4EzgRPwgcMkPRI83HzJvQDTAe967iJfZHlPV8DC5UYMy9Qmk0aY0ASWKcni7iJDOOr5GTXl6yA=w660-h880-no

Reactions: Ted
That's awesome! I'm sure your daughter loved it regardless of the funny tummy.
I hope to get my 5 year old boy up with me soon, probably be a couple years before I get some time and more importantly convince my wife to allow it.
How was that with you?
If you get a chance bring her out to I69 for a hot dog. Can be a bit of a zoo on Saturdays, but great place for kids to watch, play, hop on a sim. And you might catch a warbird in the air . I was checking the fuel during preflight last Saturday right as the B-25 flew over the field.

My wife is supportive, but doesn't like flying. She was fine with it for the most part, just got a bit nervous. I was quite comfortable with her in the plane, she mostly just twisted around to look outside. Before startup I did have to tell her to stop touching controls (she pulled the throttle right as I was about to turn the key haha) but once the engine was running she didn't even reach for them.

Back