Cincinnati area recommendations?

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hi all,

It looks like I'll be in the Cincinnati area working for GE Aviation this summer. I'm looking to burn holes in the sky and quite possibly get an instrument rating. It looks like GE Aviation appears to be located more or less north of downtown (Lincoln Heights maybe?), so something nearish to there would be good. I'd be really interested in specific recommendations of flight schools and/or good instructors if I do go for my IR while I'm there.

Also, any recommendations of places to look for housing would be very welcome as well!

Thanks!

Well, it used to be Blue Ash. RIP.

Cincinnati West, Hamilton, and Warren County are all decent choices.

Ted's out that way and should be able to provide more input.

Former Cincy guy here. I was a Blue ash guy. RIP.

I've flown into both Warren County and Clermont County (Sporty's) and both are great airports with great people.

For GE, your best options proximity-wise are either Butler County or Warren County. I've not had any experience with Butler County.

-Andrew

We have a bunch of POAers out there Ted Dupuis, Laurie Dupuis ( the brighter and much more beautiful of the DuPuis) VanDye, Flying Moose and some others. I think they all but for Lori and perhaps one other work for GE. One of them should be along soon to give you some info.

I've been going to Aviation sales at KMGY, good people there I73 also has good instructors at Beaver Valley, ask for Wes. If you want tailwheel time Red Stewart 40I is the place.

What area will you be in? Flying moose and I are in bldg 500 at Evendale. If

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Former Cincy guy here. I was a Blue ash guy. RIP.

I've flown into both Warren County and Clermont County (Sporty's) and both are great airports with great people.

For GE, your best options proximity-wise are either Butler County or Warren County. I've not had any experience with Butler County.

-Andrew

I trained at ISZ, and kept my plane at HAO, but it's been a few years (ISZ is closed now). HAO has a full ILS. Ted lives not far from HAO, but keeps his plane at Cincy West.

I trained at ISZ, and kept my plane at HAO, but it's been a few years (ISZ is closed now). HAO has a full ILS. Ted lives not far from HAO, but keeps his plane at Cincy West.

I trained at ISZ... but started training there when it was still I77. I miss that airport. I returned 15 years later (after I achieved my PPL) and it was a couple of years before they closed down. It was much sadder and run-down from when I had remembered it. It was very bittersweet for me.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I've been going to Aviation sales at KMGY, good people there I73 also has good instructors at Beaver Valley, ask for Wes. If you want tailwheel time Red Stewart 40I is the place.

What area will you be in? Flying moose and I are in bldg 500 at Evendale. If

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where exactly I'll be yet. I would expect to get more information soon, but who knows. Those places you suggested seem to be pretty far out. I'd like to reduce driving time if at all possible. Where I am now I'm 15 minutes from the airport and love it.

I've done a little poking around myself, and there appears to be a place at Butler County HAO that has everything called Hogan Flying Service. Anyone heard of them/use them? Two 172s at $110/hr for an IR, a Cub at $60/hr for the tailwheel endorsement and burning holes in the sky, and an A33 Debonair at $160/hr for a high performance/complex endorsement and potentially going places. It does seem a little less professional though...for example, scheduling is all done via a Google calendar, which struck me as a bit odd. Or maybe just different than what I'm used to.

Eastern Cincinnati Aviation at Clermont County also seems attractive because they have the Skycatcher, which I love flying, as well as some 172Rs at reasonable yet somewhat more expensive rates. Anyone have experience with them? Would they be worth the premium (and the extra ~10-15 minutes each way in the car from GE's Evendale facility) over Hogan?

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'm not sure where exactly I'll be yet. I would expect to get more information soon, but who knows. Those places you suggested seem to be pretty far out. I'd like to reduce driving time if at all possible. Where I am now I'm 15 minutes from the airport and love it.

I've done a little poking around myself, and there appears to be a place at Butler County HAO that has everything called Hogan Flying Service. Anyone heard of them/use them? Two 172s at $110/hr for an IR, a Cub at $60/hr for the tailwheel endorsement and burning holes in the sky, and an A33 Debonair at $160/hr for a high performance/complex endorsement and potentially going places. It does seem a little less professional though...for example, scheduling is all done via a Google calendar, which struck me as a bit odd. Or maybe just different than what I'm used to.

Eastern Cincinnati Aviation at Clermont County also seems attractive because they have the Skycatcher, which I love flying, as well as some 172Rs at reasonable yet somewhat more expensive rates. Anyone have experience with them? Would they be worth the premium (and the extra ~10-15 minutes each way in the car from GE's Evendale facility) over Hogan?

MGY is closer than Clermont County from Evendale or Union Center (another nearby GE facility, close to Evendale). HAO is closest if that's a concern. Warren County is about halfway between Evendale and MGY. Middletown would also be in the mix.

I think some of the folks displaced from ISZ went up to Warren county.

If I'm going downtown, I go to Lunken. I went into Blue Ash (RIP) when dealing with a shop on the north side of town (Antique Boat Works).

Back