Ciabatta's at KRDG?

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Planning a dinner flight for Friday, and thought I'd finally get up to that Itallian place at KRDG - called ahead for reservations and got a "this number has been disconnected".

Is it gone?

A month or two ago I called the museum there to ask about prices, hours, etc., and in the course of the conversation asked about food. The lady there told me there's nowhere on the field to eat :( Can't swear as to whether she's right or not since I haven't checked it out myself.

If you are wanting to head up this way, you may want to check Lancaster instead. Fiorentino's Bar and Grill is most yummy, and if you have the time and they are still open you can check out Airways, also. If you wanna make it Saturday, Cathy, Sean, and I could meet you there.

Another good choice is Flying W (N14) in Medford, NJ. The restaurant is excellent and if you get lucky you'll get a table on the runway side.

We ate at Fiorentino's at the Lancaster Fly-In in ... gosh I guess '03? Great place!

It sounds to me like the death of Ciabatta's is almost certain then - a pity - was looking forward to trying out someplace new.

As for the date - the time of the trip is based on the availability of the plane - so I'm stuck w/ friday this week. (And like, my wife is treating this as "a date" so you know, its like romantic and stuff ;) ) Thanks for the offer though! Maybe next time!

I think we'll hit Georgetown instead - I haven't taken her there yet and its a nice view of the DE bay when you get close.

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm still building xc PIC time and KLNS is only 48.3NM from KMTN... :) I'd do a T&G at KRDG and go back but... Carol is somewhat motion sensitive so I like to keep the maneuvering to a minimum w/ her on board. :)

Greebo said:
It sounds to me like the death of Ciabatta's is almost certain then - a pity -

Not if you have eaten there. ;-)

Eamon and I met there some time after Wild Wings closed and Ciabatta's opened. I wasn't impressed, but Eamon may have a different opinion. YMMV.

Joe Williams said:
A month or two ago I called the museum there to ask about prices, hours, etc., and in the course of the conversation asked about food. The lady there told me there's nowhere on the field to eat :( Can't swear as to whether she's right or not since I haven't checked it out myself.

If you are wanting to head up this way, you may want to check Lancaster instead. Fiorentino's Bar and Grill is most yummy, and if you have the time and they are still open you can check out Airways, also. If you wanna make it Saturday, Cathy, Sean, and I could meet you there.

Amen, that's a good restaurant at LNS -- my wife and I flew in for lunch there a couple of months ago.

I never liked the RDG restaurant -- last time I was there they had the soggiest french fries I think I've ever had...

Ed Guthrie said:

Eamon and I met there some time after Wild Wings closed and Ciabatta's opened. I wasn't impressed, but Eamon may have a different opinion. YMMV.

Naw......... I felt the same way.

Couple that with the exorbant rent that forced Wild Wings out & you have a recipe for disaster.

Wild wings was the best wing place I ever ate at & it was packed every day & night. If they couldn't make money with the rent the Airport wanted, how could anyone?

Eamon :dance:

Ed Guthrie said:

Ed is dead on! I ate at Ciabatta's last summer. It was memorable only because it was so bad. I heard the Wing place was great! even non pilots went there. I hear the Flat Spin Restaurant at KPNE is pretty good. I think its within walking distance of the East side of the field so you would park at the Jet Center.

BTW KRDG is still a good trip to see the war bird museum.

Chuck, if you haven't been there try Hagerstown. The FBO will loan you a crew car for the drive around the field to the restaurant. Much nicer than most airport fare, and HGR is 65.2 nm from MTN.

Ed

I have been there, and its a great restaurant - and that will definitely be a future dinner trip. :)

Back