Chrome Browser

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I use Firefox. Every once in a while I use Edge because a website doesn't play well with Firefox. Now I'm having a problem with that. The dude on the phone say's they are optimized for Chrome so get that. I don't wanna but may have to. So what are the pros and cons of Chrome. Thing that worries me the most is it will decide it's my primary browser and won't let me change that.

I use Firefox
So YOU'RE the guy...
Every once in a while I use Edge because a website doesn't play well with Firefox
yep, that checks
So what are the pros and cons of Chrome
pros: It works pretty good and all your history and passwords and bookmarks transfer between devices.

cons: Google knows everything about you

Of course, Google already knows everything about you, so...

Thing that worries me the most is it will decide it's my primary browser and won't let me change that.
They all try to do that. Just click "no" when it asks. You can always change the default program in your settings anyway.

This message typed through Chrome browser. All hail Google.

I run Chrome with adblockers as my youtube/gmail/other google spysites browser and occasionally if a website doesn't work on Brave. It is not my default browser, and although it asks me every now and then it make my default browser, I just always say no. You can always uninstall if necessary.

pros: It works pretty good and all your history and passwords and bookmarks transfer between devices.
Firefox does that too
I disallow Chrome on all of our devices at home since it circumvents all the security controls that I have in place for my kid.

I don’t trust Google, their tag line use to be “do no evil”, the fact they stop using it tells you something.
I use firefox (Linux), safari on IOS.

I used to be very worried about privacy, until I realized privacy is just a myth anymore. I demonstrated this for a co-worker one day and almost gave him a heart attack.

He is older of course, has no online presence whatsoever, no home internet, no email outside of work, and only uses a flip phone.

A quick Google of his name turned up photos and all of his pertinent bio, the county listing showing photos of his house and all particulars about the property he owns, a link to his soon to be ex-wife and her new address, the list went on and on. Whether you put the information out there, or some government site, or some retailer that sold their records, it is all out there and easily searched.

So YOU'RE the guy...

yep, that checks

They all try to do that. Just click "no" when it asks. You can always change the default program in your settings anyway.

So YOU'RE the guy...

yep, that checks

Ok. I found that thing in settings to pick default browser, I'd forgotten about that. Years ago Internet Explorer hijacked me. Took me hours to to figure it out. Yeah, I can be that digitally dumb.

I haven't checked the terms of use, but when I did a few years back, the terms required that you allow them to install "upgrades" whenever they choose. That's a hard NO. Not just NO, but H*** NO

Yeah, Firefox got to hear the big sucking sound on any device I own when they threw Mozilla founder Eich under the bus. But that's SZ material. You have your initial problem solved, I think.

My problem with "You can always say 'no'," is that the software NEVER. STOPS. ASKING. Like some lovesick teenager who won't accept a rejection from the captain of the cheerleaders. Its particularly a problem on my phone with notifications. My time and moreso my attention are valuable; and I take notifications only if and when I want to, and for my benefit. I learned how apps like FascBook use your phone's g-sensors to know when you've put the phone down, and drop a notification [BUZZ!!! Tone!] from something in your feed that is likely hours if not days old, solely to get your attention back on "their" piece of your phone. They can't sell their ads if they don't have your eyeballs.

Last edited:
I use Firefox. Every once in a while I use Edge because a website doesn't play well with Firefox. Now I'm having a problem with that. The dude on the phone say's they are optimized for Chrome so get that. I don't wanna but may have to. So what are the pros and cons of Chrome. Thing that worries me the most is it will decide it's my primary browser and won't let me change that.
Current versions of Edge are built on the same engine as Chrome. In theory, it should be very rare that something works on Chrome but not Edge.

it seems like Chrome is a bit of a resource hog, but i’m running a older machine.

I haven't had much problem with sites using firefox, the exception being some companies using really poor bot protection tools that think not responding to every javascript thing they send is an indication that I'm a bot. So if I find a site that's a problem, I just find a different supplier or whatever. Hasn't been a problem so far.

If I want to use Chrome, though, I do have an android tablet that runs it great.

Chrome on Windows doesn't make any sense to me, although I guess it's popular to put LS motors in old Fords, so what do I know, and I'm sure it's better than edge.

I haven't had much problem with sites using firefox, the exception being some companies using really poor bot protection tools that think not responding to every javascript thing they send is an indication that I'm a bot. So if I find a site that's a problem, I just find a different supplier or whatever. Hasn't been a problem so far.

If I want to use Chrome, though, I do have an android tablet that runs it great.

Chrome on Windows doesn't make any sense to me, although I guess it's popular to put LS motors in old Fords, so what do I know, and I'm sure it's better than edge.
I use chrome on my windows work machine..... but mainly because I use chromebook at home and that way I can have a personal window open on my work machine with all my bookmarks and history sync'd up.... and I'm just used to it. I tried Edge for a while and based on my short look at it I honestly agree with the idea that it's basically Chrome.

I'm a Firefox user on my laptop. As an author my Windows laptop is my primary platform and window into the Interverse. It's hard to be an author on a tablet or phone. I have FF locked down hard--Cookie AutoDelete, Privacy Badger, DDG Essentials, and Adblocker Ultimate. I have Chrome installed and use it for one literary app. I have DuckDuckGo installed and whatever websites misbehave on FF have run fine on DDG. I removed Edge from my system.

I use DDG for "sensitive" research. Things like medical, weaponry, criminal behaviors, and other subjects which come up in the course of my writing. Google or Startpage (a wrapper for Google) on FF for most else.

On my Android phone and iPad I have FF and DDG, though I use them rarely on those platforms.

Yes, I know privacy is a fool's errand, but it's my right to be a fool as long as I don't hurt anyone else.

Google began as a search engine. Their business model was/is selling ads. Is it hard to believe that Google would want to create an environment that glues users to their search/ad-server business on the world's most common operating system? Seems pretty sensical to me.

Edge is built on Chrome's technology, so they're close.

I have been using Chrome on Windows for a decade because Internet Explorer was so awful (I had moved over from Firefox, which was lagging the technology at that point). I've been using Chrome on my Macs and iOS devices as well.

Google began as a search engine. Their business model was/is selling ads. Is it hard to believe that Google would want to create an environment that glues users to their search/ad-server business on the world's most common operating system? Seems pretty sensical to me.
Oh, from Google's perspective it's smart, for the reason you described. And from Microsoft's perspective it's also smart, because it's less work for them and may pacify some of the concerns that people have had about the lack of separability of the OS and the browser. But from a personal end user perspective? That's the part that I don't understand. From a business end user perspective, just run straight chrome. Pretty sure the management tools for Chrome on Windows are the same or similar to Chrome OS, so it makes the transition from legacy Windows to Chromebook/ChromeOS easier.

As to which is more popular having anything to do with what's better, if you use the same approach in food, we all should be loving some additional corn syrup.

Last edited:
Back