Christopher Reeves was a Pilot?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I started watching an old movie "The Aviator" yesterday. In a scene he was taking off in an old biplane, I backed it up on the DVR and watched carefully. It appeared that it really was him flying the plane.

I paused the movie and googled around to learn that he indeed was a pilot and was one of the few that was allowed to fly on screen as well as privately.

I don't know how many takes were required, but he did a beautiful job with the taildragger.

I don't know how many takes were required, but he did a beautiful job with the taildragger.

I'd imagine that he wouldn't have minded doing take after take of him flying the airplane. :)

Yes, Christopher Reeve was a pilot, and was flying before he was cast as Superman. In fact, he said in interviews that his flying experience helped him act the part of flying as Superman during the casting process and he thinks it helped win him the role. I believe he flew his own 58 Baron -- purchased after being paid for that role.

Also, Superman was played on TV by George Reeves (who was not, to my knowledge, a pilot), but the actor who played Superman in the movies was Christopher Reeve (who was a pilot). And neither should be confused with bodybuilder and actor Steve Reeves, who made movies of another sort, as referred to by Dr. Frank N. Furter in "Rocky Horror Picture Show" (said movies no doubt having also been popular with Captain Clarence Oveur).

Last edited:
i understand he flew gliders too. apparently he had a friend who was paralyzed in a hard glider landing where some unsecured baggage behind the seat hit him in the head. Because of that, Christopher quit gliding and took up horseback riding.

Cap'n Ron knows RHPS? Wow! I'm impressed!

i understand he flew gliders too. apparently he had a friend who was paralyzed in a hard glider landing where some unsecured baggage behind the seat hit him in the head. Because of that, Christopher quit gliding and took up horseback riding.
You've got to be kidding... :nonod:

I spent plenty of time horseback on my Grand Dad's ranch growing up and I consider flying to be much safer.

Wow, brain fart for sure. I don't know what I was thinking. What I MEANT to say was the Harrison Ford did some of his own flying....in 6 days, 7 nights.

Which still included a crash, no?

:)

I spent plenty of time horseback on my Grand Dad's ranch growing up and I consider flying to be much safer.

Like anything else it depends on the horse breed and training. Donkeys are the safest.:wink2:

José

Wow, brain fart for sure. I don't know what I was thinking. What I MEANT to say was the Harrison Ford did some of his own flying....in 6 days, 7 nights.
The confusion is easy -- also about being stuck on a Pacific island after a crash (although with much better company than Wilson).
images
images

Yes. However I recall reading that the crash scene employed a stunt pilot. IIRC there was a big hassle with the insurance companies getting approval for Ford to do some of the flying.
I was thinking the same thing. I saw an interview with him some time back, and remember him mentioning it. Something about the insurance would allow him to fly alone, but not carry anyone else, but I'm thinking he eventually convinced them to allow it.

The confusion is easy -- also about being stuck on a Pacific island after a crash (although with much better company than Wilson).
images

Isn't she playing for the other team now, or did she switch back?

Yes. However I recall reading that the crash scene employed a stunt pilot. IIRC there was a big hassle with the insurance companies getting approval for Ford to do some of the flying.
Given Ford's accident record, I can understand the insurers' reluctance.

Given Ford's accident record, I can understand the insurers' reluctance.

I don't think so, since I can't find any accidents involving him prior to the release of "Six Day Seven Nights" in 1998. He had a helicopter crash during training in 1999, and a runway excursion incident in I believe 2000. Both after the film had completed.

I don't think so, since I can't find any accidents involving him prior to the release of "Six Day Seven Nights" in 1998. He had a helicopter crash during training in 1999, and a runway excursion incident in I believe 2000. Both after the film had completed.

But, it's Harrison Ford! Doesn't he get some kind of Chuck Norris recognition for runway excursions?

ATC: Southwest 89 go around, Chuck Norris is past the hold short line. Attempt to land and we'll have to pilot deviate you.:lol:

But, it's Harrison Ford! Doesn't he get some kind of Chuck Norris recognition for runway excursions?

ATC: Southwest 89 go around, Chuck Norris is past the hold short line. Attempt to land and we'll have to pilot deviate you.:lol:
Is that something like dark being afraid of Chuck Norris? :goofy:

also about being stuck on a Pacific island after a crash (although with much better company than Wilson).

I don't know the show however Wilson (I'm assuming Wilson is the one on the right) is probably easier to get along with especially if it involves being stranded for more than a day or two.

Christopher Reeve told about flying the Atlantic and asking ATC for a position fix.

"nnn from xxx"

Which made him realize he was a dead man - not going to make it. For around 30 minutes he thought about what would happen after he died.

Then he realized that the distance he was given was in kilometers, not NM. He had it made easy.

Christopher Reeve told about flying the Atlantic and asking ATC for a position fix.

"nnn from xxx"

Which made him realize he was a dead man - not going to make it. For around 30 minutes he thought about what would happen after he died.

Then he realized that the distance he was given was in kilometers, not NM. He had it made easy.

:yikes:

Cap'n Ron knows RHPS? Wow! I'm impressed!

And I'll bet that he knows all of the words to all of the songs too!

(Either that or he's gotten into the imdb website again!)

I actually 'flew' (right hand seat) Christopher Reeves' plane back in 1990 while stationed at SubBase Groton, CT. The submarine base aero club was based out of the same FBO that did the maintenance for Columbia aircraft. Chris had had some work done on his and it needed to be ferried down to Teterburo. For reasons known only to him, the owner of the shop took a liking to me and my wife and we flew down with him to deliver the plane in a two ship formation, the Columbia and a single engine plane, we all came back in the single. So it was awful sad to hear when he had his accident, having "flown Superman's plane'!

I actually 'flew' (right hand seat) Christopher Reeves' plane back in 1990 while stationed at SubBase Groton, CT. The submarine base aero club was based out of the same FBO that did the maintenance for Columbia aircraft.

Was your club based at KGON? I used to work right next to Electric Boat, and used KGON a lot. That's a neat story.

Yes, the very one! I heard they closed the aero club shortly after that, which I thought was a shame, 'cause it was very low key, basically like having your own plane. A lot of the other military aero clubs were a bit Nazi-like. EB has had its ups and downs too, I bet.

Lots and lots of celebrity pilots. They've got the cash, and it must be nice to skip the hassles of airplane flight, especially for those so easily recognized.

My wife was at the fence at the horse trial when Mr. Reeves came off. Well-trained horse, and the riding skill was appropriate for the level. The horse was jumping into shadow, saw something it didn't like and stopped, not a "dirty quit" as we call it when a horse tries do dislodge its rider, but just planted his two front feet. Reeves came off forward over the horses shoulder, and landed head first on the top log of the jump. He was wearing a helmet, and a safety vest, doing everything right. It's the kind of situation that happens all the time in the sport, and people walk away unhurt. Being such a large individual probably worked against him.
A tragedy.

Yes. Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people, even when they aren't doing anything wrong. I saw lots of it when I was a medic. Life itself is a gamble.

Yes. Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people, even when they aren't doing anything wrong. I saw lots of it when I was a medic. Life itself is a gamble.

Isn't that what makes livin' it such a gas!:D

No doubt the antici.......
....pation is killing you to find out.

Didn't need imdb for that one. I've had sand in my face when it's kicked.

If you're ever in Chicagoland, every Saturday at Midnight there's an audience participation showing at http://www.atriptothemovies.com

Fly on in and stay for the night and maybe even a bite.

Back