Christmas-time Vacation Ideas

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
For some twisted reason, Celia always takes vacation time between Christmas and New Years. Cheapest time of the year. NOT.

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions. I thought, "beach," but everything remotely beachy is sold out and/or stunningly expensive.

Other ideas:

Seattle (never been there...)
Chicago (I DO NOT want to spend a frickin' cent in Chicago...
NYC (world's greatest city?)

Doesn't somebody here have a Florida beach condo? bet it's booked...

I am open to all manner of suggestions. Talk amongst yourselves.

Spike - domestic or international?

I think, with only 4 weeks to go, you'll have to be in bargain mode - looking for destinations that are blowing their heads off trying to get people to show up. This might set you up nicely; however it will be a gamble.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I have a Florida beach condo. Unfortunately, I'm using it then. However, if you're interested in Siesta Key (Sarasota) I bet I can come up with something nice for you.

Spike, I'm going to the Disney Resort at Vero Beach Florida. I'll be there with Tamson, Rachel my mother inlaw and my wifes 79 yo WWII pilot uncle. Please Please come to vero beach. Apparently the resort has some good deals. I'm sure we can find something to talk about if you come there.:yes:

I have a Florida beach condo. Unfortunately, I'm using it then. However, if you're interested in Siesta Key (Sarasota) I bet I can come up with something nice for you.

We won't eat much! :D

I have to remember this.

Is Sarasota swimmable in December?

~$1000 per person, depart DFW 12/23, return 12/31 or 1/1, off to beautiful Paris.

Most every place out of DFW seems to be ~$800 per person if you return any time between Christmas Day and the week following New Years :(

I own a place in Maine that is a part of the RCI network. I could check and see if ANYTHING is available where it is warm...

Cheers,

-Andrew

~$1000 per person, depart DFW 12/23, return 12/31 or 1/1, off to beautiful Paris.

Most every place out of DFW seems to be ~$800 per person if you return any time between Christmas Day and the week following New Years :(

I own a place in Maine that is a part of the RCI network. I could check and see if ANYTHING is available where it is warm...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Tommy has always wanted to visit Maine- I know not why, though I'd enjoy it too... some family history up there (Bath, Prouts Neck).

Boston?

Tell about your place, Andrew, for future reference.

I suggest Estherville Iowa. Enjoy the nice flat roaming landscapes, and just sit back and relax. Spend your days doing some instrument training. Evenings drinking beer and eating pizza with the locals. Tommy would enjoy playing in the snow. what else could you ask for?

There's Albuquerque. It won't be warm, but it won't be cold like Maine either. You can spend time dodging bullets and illegals, and get some good, cheap, tequila while here too.

Orale!

Tommy has always wanted to visit Maine- I know not why, though I'd enjoy it too... some family history up there (Bath, Prouts Neck).

Boston?

Tell about your place, Andrew, for future reference.

Check your PM, sir...

If you are going to do Maine, you'll have to do Acadia (I insist!), but you'll have to go in the summer to get maximum enjoyment out of it (since most places are closed in the winter)

Cheers,

-Andrew

For some twisted reason
snip
Seattle (never been there...)
Chicago (I DO NOT want to spend a frickin' cent in Chicago...
NYC (world's greatest city?)

Spike we did that once, went NORTH, instead of south during the winter.
If you are going to do crazy, do it in style...we went to Quebec City during the Ice Festival, they have fantastic carvings of ice sculptures and some snow-activities. We went skiing in -50C/F weather (until they shut the slopes down for fear of the lift cable snapping) beautiful out there.
Great little restaurants with french cuisine. Got a discount on the hotel because of the season. ONLY stay at the Chateau Frontenac. You can stroll around, look out at the St Lawrence beautiful river, slide down their 'toboggan hill', learn some French. When it blizzards, it feels very cozy to hunker into the wonderfully plush rooms with hot chocolate.

Last edited:
I've done that before. One year I was about 1500 miles short of top level status on my secondary airline carrier. So, mileage run - er, vacation - to Europe it was. First choice (Athens) was unavailable, so we went to Vienna, Austria instead. Fabulous to wake up Christmas morning and flit between Cathedrals holding Christmas services.....

Austria is cheaper than Deutchland or Suisse.... though parts of Suisse are fairybook beautiful in the wintertime. BTDT - highly recommended.

Closer to home, I'd vote for Quebec City, or somewhere that says "Christmas". NYC is out right now because of the stagehand strike. As for me, I'd avoid places that are the same in warm weather (that includes most of the Gulf coast, SoCal, etc.). The Islands in the Caribbean are another favorite, though it's probably late to book them.

The problem with NYC is that around New Year's it's always booked with people. NYC is never cheap to visit unless you happen to know someone who can let you stay there. Also, there really isn't a good airport to fly into for New York. Having spent the first 20 years of my life there, I would say save it for summer.

Chicago is really damn cold between Christmas and New Years. I'd rule it out for that reason, but I also don't really like Chicago.

I suppose it depends on the point of the vacation. Is the point to go sight-seeing in a city, or is the point to have fun and see something magnificent? I'd probably want to go check out Alaska except, once again, really damn cold in the winter. If you check various places out west (Arizona and New Mexico come to mind), around Christmas is when they're actually remarkably temperate, and those states are beautiful. I would love to do a fly over them. Then again, you probably have already.

You also always stay reasonably local and head down to Rockport, TX. That's a fun place to go.

That's it for suggestions. Sorry. :)

Last minute cruise to Caribbean, Baja, et al. Check overstock.com (seriously - my wife got a killer deal there on Holland America but was for Thanksgiving week - supposedly the cheapest time to cruise)

Back