Christmas has arrived early for me.

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Back on July 1st of this year. I laid out my goal to acquire a small 4 place aircraft (see Musings of a first time plane buyer). The criteria that I set back then was $25K purchase price and $300/mo. expenses. So I thought that I would update the group on my efforts. First off, I was never able to find a partner. Using a list from the FAA, I sent out a mailer to all local pilots, some nibbles but no commitments. I moved on. So, today I took delivery of a 1976 PA-28-151. 380 hrs. SMOH on a RAM 160 upgrade, 4770 TT. IFR certified but with older KX-170Bs. I missed my purchase price target by $1750, but still not bad.
I have found a local AP/AI to help me keep up on the maintenance. He prefers owner participation which is great and does owner assist annuals for $400. He went with me and did the prebuy. I am 3rd on the list for a T-hanger at $120/mo. $30k hull insurance came in at $730, which I hope will go down as my hours go up. So I think that I am going to be under my $300/mo. fixed expense goal and still leave a little for gas. I know that there will be unexpected extras and desired improvements but I am happy. This Sunday, weather permitting, I will get with my instructor for a few hours to help me get acquainted with my new possession. :)
Thanks to all for your support and advice.

Attachments

• 002 (800x600) (2).jpg
    002 (800x600) (2).jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 243
Seems like you made out great! This is exactly the kind of budget/plane I can see myself using someday.

Enjoy the plane!

Good for you, Man! Congrats

Well, you have just accomplished one of the two happiest days for a pilot.

Best wishes.

Congrats. Nice looking plane. Now go out and fly that thing :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Congrats!!! Great looking plane!

'grats on the ride. Cherokee is EASSSY to work on, even behind the panel if you're somewhat limber. Annuals are a breeze. Wouldn't expect much of a price drop in that premium, that's about going rate. You'll get a token drop off by 30 bucks or so but that's about it. Easy birds to fly and the best deal in the aviation market right now if you ask me.

Welcome to the ranks of Baby Dads!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the freedom of having your own bird, we certainly do!

As the owner of another '76 PA-28-151, welcome! The 150hp Warrior is an easy and cheap (in aviation terms) plane to fly (and you can get a mogas STC if you live somewhere that non-ethanol mogas is available). It's certainly no speed demon, but if you understand its limitations and don't overdo it, you can get a lot of good use out of the plane. I've had mine across much of the country, from Virginia to Colorado, Mississippi to Wisconsin, and it has given me very few problems. I've flown in the Rockies of WY and CO, even into Leadville (lightly loaded!) and it's been great.

Now, I did have to offload fuel one time to take a friend (200 lbs) and his dad (290? lbs) - and me (210 lbs) - to get under max gross, and though it wasn't too sprightly on takeoff it performed fine.

And, like a 172, not hard to find a mechanic to work on them!

May I recommend your first modification to be the "Kool Scoop" air vent thingy.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/koolscoop.php

About the cheapest, most effective, biggest bang-for-the-buck modification you can make. Not needed now in the winter, of course, but as it warms up, you'll be amazed at how much this little thing helps with cooling things down on the ground. And, you can install it yourself.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Beautiful plane- congrats!

Congrats! I'll have to swing by and take a look next time I'm at the airport. Somehow I missed you were interested in a partner. I have been in talks with another couple that fly out of New Bern regarding partnering up on a plane. We've all been flying with TW in the mean time.

On another note, as an EWN flyer, any interest in the local EAA chapter?

That's a nice looking aircraft. You did great. Setting out cost parameters and finding the right airplane is tough to do, and it looks like you scored bigtime.

:yes:

'grats on the ride. Cherokee is EASSSY to work on, even behind the panel if you're somewhat limber. Annuals are a breeze. Wouldn't expect much of a price drop in that premium, that's about going rate. You'll get a token drop off by 30 bucks or so but that's about it. Easy birds to fly and the best deal in the aviation market right now if you ask me.

Mazel Tov. The warrior is a great plane, I also second everything Bart said.

Nice plane.

As for a hangar, have you tried sub-renting short term? When I purchased mine, I couldn't immediately get a hangar. Located a pilot that had two AC. One was an RV being prepped for paint and still flying off its 40 hours. Owner was taking it to another field for paint. I used his hangar for a few months until one opened up.

Back