Christmas Gifts Under $50.00

flygirl34q

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
-
If you had to make a Christmas gift list of items under $50.00, what would you choose?? So far... gift cards are all I can come up with. Like an iTunes music card. HELP! :confused:

If you had to make a Christmas gift list of items under $50.00, what would you choose?? So far... gift cards are all I can come up with. Like an iTunes music card. HELP! :confused:

I just send out portraits of me, my smiling face and sparkling personality. They must be well-received, because the recipients are rendered speechless. At least, I think they are, because I never hear another word from them! :D

Joking aside, Lynn, tell us a bit more - who are the recipients? Family? Friends? Co-Workers? Mail Carriers?

Well, this is for my extended family's gift exchange this Christmas... and our limit is supposed to be under $50.00. I guess I'm just looking for general, not lame gifts that would appreciated by most everyone.

rubbermaid tub filled with toys from the $1 toy aisle at walmart. My grandma did this for years for us kids. I still give her a hard time every christmas about getting us a tub for christmas. she claims we're too old but I disagree

How about a gift card for 7 gallons of 100LL at Million Air?

Well, this is for my extended family's gift exchange this Christmas... and our limit is supposed to be under $50.00. I guess I'm just looking for general, not lame gifts that would appreciated by most everyone.

Books. Nice pottery, such as mugs or bowls. Some kind of food item. My parents send boxes of grapefruit and oranges from Florida.

These are pretty neat things, gorillatorch:
http://joby.com/gorillatorch/flare/

I bought one last year for my Dad, and liked it so much I bought myself one.

Last edited:
Dremel drill press and keyless chuck attachments... digital angle gauge... set of bar clamps...

Would a gift certificate for dinner at a local restaurant work?

You can also get gift certificates to the local movie theater.

I like the dinner and a movie ideas! And the bar clamps idea up there made me think of the comment Christopher made once about no one ever having too many clamps in their workshop. LOL. The AV gas gift certificate would only work for me though... no one else in my family likes to fly. :(

Way back when, a friend of mind gave me a coupon book of stuff she would do for me. It included a coffee date, lunch, mid afternoon tea... Quite imaginative I thought.
Funny thing is... I still have the coupon book. It is a cherished possession.

I like the dinner and a movie ideas! And the bar clamps idea up there made me think of the comment Christopher made once about no one ever having too many clamps in their workshop. LOL. The AV gas gift certificate would only work for me though... no one else in my family likes to fly. :(

Lynn, that's *perfect*!

They'll give it back to you, you go fly, you're happy, they're happy that you're happy.

All is well.

We were doing this for a few years but we figured out that we all have the junk we need to get by in life. We switched to adopting a needy family instead and it just feels better every year we can do it.

We still do some little stocking stuffer things but dinner sits really well during the football/dinner coma in the living room with family, knowing someone else's home is happier and maybe they didn't have to forego meals to get the kids stuff they needed or wanted.

This year our local county adopt-a-family office still had 27 families last week, all 5 or more people, seeking assistance. With a bad economy a lot of folks are really hurting.

I don't mention it for recognition or any sense of a holier-than-thou attitude. I just mention it because for years and years we just did the gifts more out of habit than anything.

When my brother in law first recommended that we give the family adoption thing a try, it seemed awkward at first but it's grown on all of us, and we stopped getting those awful sweaters you put in a closet and never wear and silly stuff we don't need. We still take care of family first, if someone needs something we're all on it. But in normal years, our habits changed.

Definitely think about the folks in your own 'hood wishing they could get the kids something besides dinner and maybe some WalMart clothes for school. It's a sucky time of year to be broke and "in the system".

Y'all also know from my short time with SZ turned on that I'm one of those big mean fiscal conservative evil people, too. I apparently want all poor people to die in the street according to the media, you know. My TV says so. And everything you see on TV is true. ;)

Money where my mouth is. Want community? You gotta behave like a community. Including helping out folks in it who need it most. Not waiting around for some inefficient government trickle down system to help them.

Oops, sorry, got a little excited there.

Give it a shot. Talk to the family about pooling resources and helping some mom and dad who are often just down the road, but out of sight and out of mind.

"True Spirit of Christmas" and all that wishy-washy stuff of you're into that.

I wore my Grinch necktie to the first Christmas party last night. Gotta keep my Nasty-evil-Conservative-is-going-to-eat-your-babies image up. ;)

Bah Humbug. And Merry Christmas. :)

Last edited:
Toasters, I always give out toasters. They are not only under ten dollars at Rite Aid, they are a handy item around the kitchen. For some reason I am no longer receiving the gushing thank you notes and letters that my toasters once brought. I guess my loved ones can only use so many toasters, I've been doing it for years.

Perhaps I'll switch to steam irons this year.

John

Back