Chopper 101 web page - info for fixed-wingers

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by RotaryWingBob, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Threefingeredjack

Threefingeredjack En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Threefingeredjack
    Good info...nicely presented too! Thanks.

2. Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dan Thomas
    I'm not a helicopter pilot (only a few minutes dual in an R44) but I found the MSX helicopters far easier than the real thing. X-Plane has a much better simulation.

Dan

3. Mike I

Mike I Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike I
    Just dropping in here...did a discovery flight today in a 300CBi. 1.0 Dual Rotary now in the logbook, a pretty cool addition.

Deciding between pursuing an Instrument Rating or a Rotary add-on this summer. Both fun in their own ways, and both a challenge.

4. darrell

darrell Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    darrell
    Just as an aside, you can get your commercial rotorcraft with just 150 hours, and you do not have to have a private rotorcraft first, you can go straight from any category (i.e. private ASEL to commercial rotorcraft). Only 50 of those hours need to be in helicopters, and it would take roughly that long to knock out the commercial requirements anyway.

5. Mike I

Mike I Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mike I
    Wow, had no idea! So it might only take an additional 10-15h to knock out a commercial certificate...great information, thanks.

I really have to figure out my own needs, since I don't own an aircraft and I live at least a half hour drive from the closest place to rent anything. Have to decide if I want to go long distances, or stay local and do something more "hands on"... and there's the cost factor. Right now I'm paying $180 for 145kts (SR20), so I have to figure out if I want to pay $350 for 80kts (300C).

6. dillardrg

dillardrg Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ron Dillard
    What you are refering to here is called "Settling with Power". In order to produce this situation you must first descend vertically into the downwash from the main rotor.

Just hovering in one spot with no downward motion will not produce it.

7. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Correct. You could settle with power while trying to hover at your max hover height OGE. It would take a gust of wind to get the aircraft to "settle."

Of course if you're not able to take-off vertically it's because lack of power/lift from being either too heavy or too high of DA. Same principle that fixed-wing encounter. IGE requires less power because induced flow is less. So you stay IGE and build up speed. After ETL (20kts ish) which also further reduces induced flow and rotor vortices, then you can climbout at a reduced power.

8. Threefingeredjack

Display Name:

Display name:
    Threefingeredjack
    Yup. When I was flying the HH3F we would depart on missions at max gross and always did a rolling take off to get through translational lift for a little added safety margin for climbout in case one of the engines decided to get grumpy.

9. darrell

darrell Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    darrell
    Skids are for kids!

10. Threefingeredjack

Display Name:

Display name:
    Threefingeredjack
    :thumbsup:

11. ScottM

ScottM Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBazinga!
    I went looking for this information this morning and was afraid that Bob's page would be gone since he has been gone himself for a couple of years. Thankfully it is still there and offers a great summary of fixed vs. fling wing operations. Here is the info incase one day his page leaves the Internet.

12. retpd2001

retpd2001 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    retpd2001
    Not true, most max performance takeoffs are done straight up , usually to clear an obstacle. Also, all helicopters have performance figures called Hover-in ground effect and out of ground effect. So the aircraft can hover up to those altitudes, without "falling into it" as you say. Hope that helps. Glenn

13. retpd2001

Display Name:

Display name:
    retpd2001
    No, runways are for beauty queens, real pilots land on helipads! ;)

14. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Super Moderator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    HOLY Necropost! I said that 8 YEARS ago! Yeah I know now, I was referring to vortex ring state or "settling with power"

I was 13 years old when I posted that (wow I've been on this board way too long) cut me some slack.

15. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Who let a 13 yr old in here? This is an adult forum! Then again, some 13 yr olds know more about flying than me. :D

16. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Super Moderator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    like anyone on here is an adult ;)

17. noobJohn

noobJohn Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
  18. Velocity173

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Flying over it wouldn't be problem. It would be no different than a FW. Flying down into it from a hover on a windy day could pose a problem. At an OGE hover, a helicopter is already using more power than in forward flight. If the winds were descending into the hole at a high rate, that would create a large increase in induced flow. More induced flow = more induced drag. That increase in drag could exceed the helicopter's power reserve to counter it. Also, the simple fact that descending air (down draft) would be trying to push the helicopter down, would create a rise in power required as well.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  19. retpd2001

Display Name:

Display name:
    retpd2001
    The link/news story sounds like BS to me. Flying HEMS, I regularly flew over the biggest open pit mine in the US (or so I was told) going into a small clinic in Morenci, Arizona almost daily. On one occasion, a truck had overturned at the bottom and we flew in to pick up the patient there. When I switched bases, from there we had a regular run over the open pit mine in Bisbee, Arizona. Of course I would avoid flying directly over the top if possible in case of engine failure, but we were always right on the edge near a road. Never once had any sort of problem at either location. Just my 2 cents.

20. SToL

SToL Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL