Choosing an Optometrist

U

Unregistered

Your eyes are so important to quality living and flying.... when your vision starts to have issues (typically in your 40s for men), how do you go about finding a GOOD optometrist. It's like Russian roulette picking one out of the phone book.

I'm an Angie's List member, maybe I'll start there, since they do provider reviews.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Choosing an opthamologist

Oops, I meant opthamologist.... but I guess the same principle applies.

I wouldn't use Angie's List. From what I understand of it (I have never used it) it is comprised of user (and in this case, patient) reviews. I don't think the patient can accurately assess the skill and knowledge of any doctor on a routine visit.

In your situation, I would contact the local hospitals and ask for a list of Board Certified Opthalmologists. That is at least some sort of peer review indication.

-Skip

My eye-guy is an optometrist, but he's also a pilot. He takes pretty good care of me and my 50+ year old eyes.

Why not ask your AME?

I concur with this. My first FAA medical, my primary doc refused to sign off on the eye requirements for my Diabetes SI. A call to the AME's office got a referral to an optometrist associated with a LensCrafters location. Once she saw the FAA form and got a few questions answered, she provided a very thorough "old school none of that overpriced automated equipment and we're not selling you expensive eyeglasses" exam. Much better than an exam I did a year prior for a doc who wants to sell you high end glasses and the exams are a justification to that end.

An AME referral also hooked me up with my current sleep doctor (for OSA) who is very FAA friendly.

So big thumbs up for AME referrals.

An airman of Polish descent went to the AME to apply for a 3rd class medical.

First, of course, he had to take an eyesight test. The doctor showed him a card with the letters:

'C Z W I X N O S T A C Z.'

"Can you read this?" the doctor asked.

"Read it?" the Polish guy replied, "I know the guy."

I went to CVS and got readers off the rack, everything else is still good at 20/15 & 20/12. As for finding someone good, same as anything else, ask around. I have 3 masters at it in the family but they're in Germany.

Why is it those with better than 20/20 are so damn proud of it?

Can't they just buy a corvette or something?

(20/10, 20/15, +1.25's :D)

Why is it those with better than 20/20 are so damn proud of it?

Can't they just buy a corvette or something?

(20/10, 20/15, +1.25's :D)

Before cataract surgery, I was 20/400 in both eyes. After the lens implants, I was 20/15 right eye and 20/20 left eye. I am more than damn proud. I am obnoxiously proud. Still have to wear readers for really close work.

Before cataract surgery, I was 20/400 in both eyes. After the lens implants, I was 20/15 right eye and 20/20 left eye. I am more than damn proud. I am obnoxiously proud. Still have to wear readers for really close work.

Okay, I'll allow you that one. Just stop talking about your vasectomy (another pet peeve :)).

I go to the optometry clinic at my University. They do a very, very thorough job, and have really neat toys I've not seen elsewhere. One takes a panoramic photo of the back of your eye so that you can easily detect all kinds of abnormalities and disease states.

I go to the optometry clinic at my University. They do a very, very thorough job, and have really neat toys I've not seen elsewhere. One takes a panoramic photo of the back of your eye so that you can easily detect all kinds of abnormalities and disease states.
Mine uses a similar system (I think it's the OptoMap). But it isn't just an optometry clinic, they have ophthalmologists on staff to consult with in case anything questionable shows up (and yes, they're a refractive surgery center too).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back