Choosing an online ground school

abqtj

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
abqtj
Is there a go-to online ground school for PPL training that more people prefer over others? If so, why?

Kings
Gold Seal
ASA
Gleim

I'd prefer one that I can use either on my desktop, laptop, OR iPad, if that makes a difference. I don't want to download software if possible, but us an online interface.

Anything I'm leaving out?

You left out Sporty's and the online FAA documents. And you'll get posts on here that will give a thumbs up to any of those you listed.

Oh, and my method was some old Jeppesen books with some instructor ground. I then used the free Sporty's tests as test prep.

Your going to get answer both for and against every option. It's the Internet. With that being said I used Kings to get my ground school certificate sign off to take the written and Dauntless test prep app for both PPL and IFR and got a 92% on both.

Oh, and my method was some old Jeppesen books with some instructor ground. I then used the free Sporty's tests as test prep.

As a writer of aviation texts, that bothers me. I have to bust my butt to keep my texts as current as possible, given regulatory and procedural changes, and my publisher (ASA) provides online updates. I don't see how using old information can be of value. Can't deny that your belt-and-suspenders use of Sporty's was wise.

Bob Gardner

Well, I started my training 13 years ago and wasn't feeling up to spending a ton of money on other things. I've done other reading to make sure I wasn't doing anything crazy. Sure, medical regs have changed since the books were published but the fundamentals of flight haven't changed. I got a decent score on my written. I did buy the King oral prep course to make sure I wasn't completely missing something I should be prepared for. This board has been an education in and of itself anyway. ;)

King private graduate and instrument student here. Corny but you remember the stuff. You take your time with the videos and week or two before your test power sessions. Also practice tests are helpful.

King meets your technical desires...but all depends on how you learn best. I liked King because I am visual learner and need to be shown how to do things. I had to ditch Gleim because it is pretty much read and regurgitate which works better for some, but not me.

Most have samples on line...check them out and see which works best for you.

I would love to try MzeroA's stuff, but it is just too dang expensive.

I would love to try MzeroA's stuff, but it is just too dang expensive.
They build a buffer into the price, in case someone fails their checkride. ;)

They build a buffer into the price, in case someone fails their checkride. ;)

Boy I guess so...I mean starting at $90ish a month?? Wowzers...and what if you want to keep the material for future reference?

Boy I guess so...I mean starting at $90ish a month?? Wowzers...and what if you want to keep the material for future reference?
It's pretty steep, no doubt about it. Unless flight schools partner up with the program so they can offer it to students at a reduced rate, it's rather expensive.

Dauntless.
Their explanations are ridiculously detailed.

with the ASA test preps books also (I like the REAL book versions of things).

8 written tests later and a 90% average score.

It's pretty steep, no doubt about it. Unless flight schools partner up with the program so they can offer it to students at a reduced rate, it's rather expensive.

Yea...I will stick to King for now...gonna start my Instrument Ground School soon

I'll vote for Dauntless I used it for my CPL, it was a ton better than the ASA app because they provide explanations and let you focus on the questions that are problematic for you

That was my method as well. I still have some really old Jepp books that I like to look through occasionally. The basics are covered well and a test prep will cover most of the changes.

Back